Warhead fuse issue

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SevenDeadlyStrings

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post and it's a doozy.

I've had my Warhead combo for a good 7 years or so now and I haven't run into a major issue until now.

About once a year or so my volume and tone would cut down to a barely audible level. I found early on that the cause of this was the small circuit board connected to the heat sink rumbling out with the vibrations causing a connection to come loose. So, once a year I would have to jiggle it about for a few seconds and presto! Problem solved for another year or more :lol: (hopefully this fixes the same issue I know people have had with these..needless to say unplug all power and let it cool down before attempting).

It probably wasn't the brightest idea to go snooping about inside but I am perpetually low on cash with a tiny bit of electrical knowledge so I figured "what the hell?". I bought it used so the warranty was out the window anyways.

A couple of weeks ago, jiggle-time was upon me. After 7 years of doing this, that little board said "enough!" and completely detached from the heat sink. Distressing as it was, I, with the aid of a friend highly experienced in fixing electronics, very carefully soldered all 18 points back onto the heat sink. No burning, no messy joints, no nothing. It looked just as good as day one. When I went to fire up the amp, I got a good 2 seconds in until it shut down. Tried again....nothing. Come to find out, the mains fuse is now blowing. Radioshack mysteriously carries the matching fuses so I picked up a pack of 5. All of them....fried.

So my question is, are there any of you experienced in any sort of amp repair or this amp's workings that can explain this? Randall has been contacted, they helpfully obliged by sending me every schematic in the book, but there really isn't a repair shop near me. The only one around charges a hefty shop fee that I can't exactly afford for a while. This thing has been "my" sound since I've had it, I've kept up with $3500 ENGLs for frack's sake! I really would hate to have to save for months to hunt down another if there is some way to fix this.

Sorry for the book here, just wanted to cover all the bases. Thanks for any help!