Got my RM100...it sucks so bad!!!!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schlagdog

Reaction score
I waited for my RM100 from MUSIC123 and actually bought 3 modules off the classifieds on here. Plugged them in and turned it on, the Tweed sounded exactly like I would want, SRV all the way and was so happy. The RECTO and XTC were so lame I couldnt take it. My LINE6 VETTA HD makes this thing sound like a $100 pile of crap. I ran it through a 2x12 and a 4x12 either way the Vetta just embarressed it. Like I said the TWEED was amazing. The other 2 completely were a total disappointment. If anyone has any suggestions on a setting or how to make this worthless amp sound better let me know. Also if anyone wants a TWEED, RECTO, or an XTC module let me know cause this thing is going back in the box and returning to Music123 real soon. I'm am now convinced LINE6 VETTA may be the best amp ever. I havent owned a tube amp in many many years and now I know I am not missing a single thing.

Too bad man. I guess your not a tube amp guy. You might want to play around a little before sending it back. Set all the module controls to 12:00 and turn the presence and depth to 0. Start there and play with the knobs. It did'nt take me long to dial in great sounds after a couple of minutes. But, I know guys that swear by solid state or modeling amps. Everybody has their thing. Good luck to ya.

schlagdog-

The Recto sucks and while the XTC is good doesn't have alot of gain.

I would suggest you try other modules because the Recto is definitely not the best the MTS line has to offer.

I would suggest the 1086, very versatile High Gain.

I have now played Mesa, Marshall, Crate, Peavey, and now Randall. None are even close to sounding as good as the VETTA. I think if I was going from an average amp to the Randall I might like it. Going from the Vetta to it is just a BIG step down in the tone department. The gain isnt there and neither is the tightness. The Tweed was great sounding though and was really impressed with the SRV type sound. Unfortunatley I already get that with the Line6 and was looked for that perfect monster gain.

The tolex on the under side of the RANDALL is falling off like it was never glued on!!!!!!!! NICE WORKMANSHIP RANDALL!!!!!!

Scooter said:
You might want to check the tube bias.

Ditto on that. I've read many threads where people thought their new MTS amps sounded terrible, then they find the bias is way off from the factory, adjust it, and get a lot better tone.

schlagdog said:
The tolex on the under side of the RANDALL is falling off like it was never glued on!!!!!!!! NICE WORKMANSHIP RANDALL!!!!!!

Unfortunately, that seems to be a somewhat common complaint. Are you hearing this Randall?

I actually had to build a whole new box for mine since not only the tolex was done shitty but the particle board cant handle the weight of the amp and breaks down easily. Still love the amp tho!

Throw a compressor in front of the recto and xtc and they sounds great. Thats what i do and it sounds really awesome.

Thats to much crap to do for an amp that should sound great out of the box. Re Bias the tubes and add pedals just to make it sound good. Not to mention I would already have to fix the tolex cause it hangs down and rests on the power tubes that will burn a hole in it. The amp is built bad and sounds bad. It goes back in the box tomorrow and is getting returned.

if you feel better with the Vetta, then go with that- don't let other people tell you what sounds good; your ears should always be the final judge.

All I have to say is that I personally was able to get great tones out of my MTS rig;

part of the reason you may not like the sound may be due to volume as well. One of the Great Pluses of Line6 stuff is that they sound great a low volumes- where as tube equipment you need to crank loud (and I mean LOUD) to get that saturated tone. Especially for high-gain.

There IS a reason why every pro (weather they are paid to deny it or not) uses tube amps- its more about the feeling than the sound. Personally I think that digital modeling is equal or even superior to Tube amps; But the FEEL of digital stuff is far behind. Tube just feels more natural and lively.

But amps are tools for us to use; each type serves its purpose- if you don't NEED a Tube amp; don't use one.

I've said for years that, if you took two fairly evenly matched guitar players, one who had always played SS amps and the other had played tubes, and made them switch amps, the tube guy would be fine, but the SS guy would suck badly. He'd have very uneven picking and sloppy playing. That's because of that "feel" that TheAbomb12 is talking about.

I can say this because, until about a year ago, I was the SS guy! When I first got my TSL100, I was embarrassed that I sounded so bad. I had thought I was a lot better than I really was. YMMV.

schlagdog said:
Thats to much crap to do for an amp that should sound great out of the box. Re Bias the tubes and add pedals just to make it sound good. Not to mention I would already have to fix the tolex cause it hangs down and rests on the power tubes that will burn a hole in it. The amp is built bad and sounds bad. It goes back in the box tomorrow and is getting returned.

Umm, checking tube bias is no big deal and should be done by EVERY tube amp user. Randall or other. If that's too much to handle, then you definitely should stick with a solid state amp.

Regarding pedals; your Line6 amp is nothing but pedals. A bazillion of them. They're just all crammed inside the brain of the amp instead of on the floor.

As for the tolex problem, you are spot-on! The glue they use just doesn't hold, period.

Its not a solid state amp which is going to be an out of the box tone that makes you feel comfortable. You need to do some work sometimes to get a tube amp to your personal tastes.

Think of it as the meat of your tone sandwich, you just need to pick the right bread and condemants(sp) for your tastes. The rm100 is really high quality meat, but most people i know dont like to just eat lunch meat straight....or something like that? Your vetta is sort of like a lunchables i suppose?

god im hungry.

I went and got a volt meter and wasted $25. Checked the bias and adjusted it slightly in a last ditch attempt to save the Randall. I really wanted this amp to be amazing. The adjustments did nothing and I am done I guess. I even was cranking it so now my ears are both ringing. I'm getting set to pack it back up and ship it back. I will also have the 3 modules on the classifieds so I can try and re-coop the money I wasted on them. One positive is the Tweed is a great module and will give you a good SRV tone without having to buy a small amp and just crank it. I plugged in my fender and was there in a sec. Also as for a solid state sounding good out of the box. The Vetta doesn't have 1 single good distortion preset on it out of the box. If you played it just scrolling through them you would be like "this really blows". It took me a ton of adjusting to get it rocking. I really don't use any effects on it either or cab Models. Maybe reverb and sometimes the Tube Screamer. So basically its amp model and noise gate straight to the 4x12. I guess I will keep rocking the vetta and be happy.

Scooter said:
schlagdog said:

Umm, checking tube bias is no big deal and should be done by EVERY tube amp user. Randall or other. If that's too much to handle, then you definitely should stick with a solid state amp.

Regarding pedals; your Line6 amp is nothing but pedals. A bazillion of them. They're just all crammed inside the brain of the amp instead of on the floor.

As for the tolex problem, you are spot-on! The glue they use just doesn't hold, period.

Also, I don't see how putting a boost pedal out front is "too much crap" to deal with. MANY pros use boost pedals with their amps both live and in the studio and many of those amps are very expensive.

I put my Centaur Klon in front of it and it sounded better but not anything I couldn't get in any other amp. I may try and get MUSIC123 to send me another one since the tolex is about completely off on the under side of the amp. Just to make sure this head just isnt a lemon.

If your getting good tones out of your Vetta just stick with that. Unless there is a particular tone you arn't getting with the vetta that you want; In which case tell us what you are looking for and we can give you suggestions on a MTS rig setup/ or even an amp setup in general.

Otherwise, if your happy with your Vetta sound- and are able to cover all your tonal bases well; just stick with that.

I'm just sticking with it for now. I want to try another RM100 cause I am thinking maybe I got a lemon. I've heard the MTS clips and Jim's tones on his album and they all sound killer. He told me he recored pretty much the whole thing with the XTC. My tone sounded nothing like his. So I have the RM100 all boxed up and MUSIC123 is going to send my another one. Since all the tolex was completely falling off the under side it is going back as defective.