Hammett not using RM100KH, what will happen now?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJ82

Reaction score
What do you guys think will happen, now that Kirk is no longer using the RM100KH? Maybe we will see a Fortin Randall Meathead set of modules down the road :)

I'd like to see Fortin put sometime into the power section of the MTS series....add a few more options etc.

I'm gonna stir the pot here like a 8@stard. But its something to think about and consider.

I dont think mike is gonna have a huge impact on the randall brand in the sense it'll compete with upper echelon boutique amps. Some cool stuff might trickle into the randall design. But we sure as hell are not gonna see anything close in terms of design get integrated into randalls power section that in the slightest might compete with his own line or come from his own line.

For those looking for better power sections in there mts stuff. Guys we have the resources already at our disposal!! Ive done upgrades on an rm100 i had and had conversations with mercury magnetics, they got trannies and chokes to upgrade. Rack guys, your rt2/50's are not out of the '?'. MM is only gonna need a donor output tranny for R&D, they'll even return it with the replacement..LOL I was gonna do this with them. Heyboer trannies are available too.

And what about that lunatic Antonin Salvation whose been crippling the pocketbooks of everybody here for so long!...LOL (this was intended as a joke!). He would probably be the best guy to talk to in tweaking your power section to that of your favorite boutique. I talked to him about this a long long time ago. Realistically this could get very expensive with shipping alone.

But for those who just want to pull it out of a box from musicians friend....

bhuard75 said:
And what about that lunatic Antonin Salvation whose been crippling the pocketbooks of everybody here for so long!...LOL (this was intended as a joke!). He would probably be the best guy to talk to in tweaking your power section to that of your favorite bouquet. I talked to him about this a long long time ago. Realistically this could get very expensive with shipping alone.
Hey Anthony likes vacations, ship him to where you're at! :lol:

Your not kidding. It would be cheaper to fly him in, put 'em to work in your living room for the week then send him home.

Think he'll get on board for the house call idea MoJo?

bhuard75 said:
Your not kidding. It would be cheaper to fly him in, put 'em to work in your living room for the week then send him home.

Depends on where you live... is it sunny? ;)

Kirk has been using the RM in the tuning room for years. Every vid I see of Met warming up has Kirk playing through one. I don't think a RM has been a part of his live tone for a long time though.

eyeball987 said:
Kirk has been using the RM in the tuning room for years. Every vid I see of Met warming up has Kirk playing through one. I don't think a RM has been a part of his live tone for a long time though.
http://www.randallamplifiers.com/News-and-Reviews/News/New-Hammett-Amp.html

Look above the prototype ;)

Everytime I've seen his rig the RM100KH is in there ... and as you say in jam rooms too.

He used the rm100kh in his live rig for years up until when he put this new Fortin Randall in there. There's still an rm100kh in the rig but it's not being used.

m0jo said:
bhuard75 said:

Depends on where you live... is it sunny? ;)

Depends, but there is definatelly plenty of friendly attractive women he could be introduced too. Just saying.

Clearly Kirk uses the RM100 as a backup (possibly) or a large coaster. These guys change amps like underwear..... hell they could just use a boosted 5150 and be fine. Sometimes the differences are so subtle between these high gainers that the audience wouldn't even know...... or care.

Kapo_Polenton said:
Clearly Kirk uses the RM100 as a backup (possibly) or a large coaster. These guys change amps like underwear..... hell they could just use a boosted 5150 and be fine. Sometimes the differences are so subtle between these high gainers that the audience wouldn't even know...... or care.

Agreed. Which is a big reason why I keep the RM100 as my main rig. Sounds great, versatile, easily re-biased with any power tube I want, will get me close enough if not better tone than any one trick pony out there at a lower cost, and again it sounds great.

i dont think kirk ever used it. i read somewere that hetfield didn't like it all. i agree with jkd and i think the power section is why i never got along with the amp. just seemed stiff to me. i originally got an rm100 immediatly after hearing jimosity's clips only to find out my set up sounded nothing like his. i believe he used a vht 290 which would explain why his sounded so good.. those clips were great

@ max, i was being facetious about the amp. Not sure if you took that personally with the "wtf huh". If you did sorry.

Well for me, Ty Tabor using it was a big factor in getting hooked to the MTS system. He has since moved on to the Egnater modular since and now... the Axe Fx.

As great as the MTS concept is, I think it will always suffer from the fact that it is all about emulating some existing tones, so psychologically, it will always be considered as a trade off for "the real thing" no matter how good it sounds. The fact that guys like Hammett and Lynch claimed it reproduced their favourite amps perfectly and hardly or never used it live at all did little to improve this perception as a poor man's solution.

Still, the fact that a guy like M Wagener who is responsible from many great albums uses it is a massive endorsement. Actually, my main claim to fame as a guitar geek is that I had a Mash-All+ in my rack before he did!!! :D