Scary stock tone

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtr31

Reaction score
Yes it is another Scary question .

Anyway I used to have the Mts series and I had a Mr Scary that i loved
It was modded and what i am trying to figure out is if the mod changed the response and feel somewhat or if the stock Scary had this characteristic.

Basically the one thing I loved about Scary is what people call a squish or Chew to the Mids .although voicing is similar to SL+ I recall Scary being alil different in that midrange. The mod was the perfect blend of punch.
I know Scary has an extra gain stage over the Judge and Brahma .is it the extra compression in the preamp that gives this elasticity and bounce for lack of a better word

So the question is too owners of the stock Scary is this the actual voicing and response .I also hear it in the judge and Brahma too

Thanks

Do you remember roughly how many parts were changed? I'm in Ottawa too by the way.. thought I was the only MTS'er round these parts.

The stock module had it. One thing I had to get used to after mine was modded was that this tendancy was not as noticable.

To answer your original question though, I think that yes, the Judge and scary have that chewiness you talk of. More notably, when I changed the R7 resistor from 100k to 220k, the gain got a little thicker and compressed. I think this feel comes from a higher or no (which is the case in the scary) resistor in R7. My modded Judge has this feel which I find less desirable for rythms but more desirable for leads.

I think My Scary had the 10 in R7.
a bunch or orange drops were put in which I recall as the warmth clarity
The Scary and Judge were both developed by Friedman.
Would have to hear the HBE but I think that is a pretty fair guess as to the origin of Scary as the HBE was not out then .
Someone quoted dave earlier saying the Judge is his Brown Eye mod the voicing switch is the diode clip. If Judge has one less gain stage . again I think Scary is probably closely related to the HBE

To me I like that bounce and looseness .its sounds huge on open chords .But again I had a 10 in R7 which would be tighter .I would also say that Scary was brighter than a lot of other mods as well.
Truthfully if you are a Lynch Fan you should look at a Scary .

Honestly, I am not really impressed with the Judge after almost a year with it. I think it will be on the sale block soon enough! I can't imagine that is the BE mod because Friedman is usually known for tones that cut.. not enough cut with my rig and the judge. Maybe we all hear things differently.... my modded brahma is close to the Scary and it is killer. Love it. It isn't that chewy though as I like a tight response. I'll turn the amp up to get the fullness.

As for refitting the module with orange drops or sozos.. they take up a lot of room. I think WIMA are used a lot because they are smaller but to be honest, i am fine with silver mica's or other. I don't think they affect the tone "that" much. Just my ears though.

Kapo_Polenton said:
Honestly, I am not really impressed with the Judge after almost a year with it. I think it will be on the sale block soon enough! I can't imagine that is the BE mod because Friedman is usually known for tones that cut.. not enough cut with my rig and the judge. Maybe we all hear things differently.... my modded brahma is close to the Scary and it is killer. Love it. It isn't that chewy though as I like a tight response. I'll turn the amp up to get the fullness.

As for refitting the module with orange drops or sozos.. they take up a lot of room. I think WIMA are used a lot because they are smaller but to be honest, i am fine with silver mica's or other. I don't think they affect the tone "that" much. Just my ears though.

Like you said, we all hear things different. The Judge has plenty of cut for me and it has a "feel" to it that is killer, different than other stockers. In a band setting, it is one of my favorite mods. I had a Brahma and didnt like it at all. Had Scott mod it, still was "thin" to me (especially compared to the Judge and Voodoo tones) so I sold it. Sold my stock Scary too but it was a good tone- just too similar to all the Marshall tones I had. Regardless, I do like the modded modules best. I buy/sell trade a lot, I could still see the Judge going to fund another mod! :D

Thing is, I wanted to love my judge...i've held onto it a long time to love it. I've modded it slightly to where i like it but i realized I pretty much already have that tone covered with my 2 brahma's and my Hilligan SL+.

Out of curiosity, are you running an RM20 or 22 with EL84's? Lots of people love the judge with EL84's. I find those tubes tighten the tone and can make some modules seem lacking in low end.

Kapo_Polenton said:
Thing is, I wanted to love my judge...i've held onto it a long time to love it. I've modded it slightly to where i like it but i realized I pretty much already have that tone covered with my 2 brahma's and my Hilligan SL+.

Out of curiosity, are you running an RM20 or 22 with EL84's? Lots of people love the judge with EL84's. I find those tubes tighten the tone and can make some modules seem lacking in low end.

Yeah, I could see that. The EL84's sound different though when they are pushed and you start adding power tube distortion...RM100 is my main rig but I also have an RM20 with the 84's....EQ is fairly close between the two amps at low/med volume. Once I open the RM100 up, the settings change.