What's in your Lynchbox Cabinet???????? See Last Post

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanh303

Reaction score
Ok, so I am now more confused than I ever should be about the 4x12 Lynch Box cabinets. I had no idea there was so much variety in them, and I'm hoping someone can help shed some light on a few things for me. I did search the forum and the internet, which only added to my confusion!

Alright, so from the Randall 2009 Catalog:
RS412LB came loaded with Eminence Super V speakers, and is rated at 300W RMS. I have searched for more info on the Super V's and can only find Red Coat Lynch Super V12 which I suspect are different from what came in the cab, as the Red Coats are rated at 150W each. Each speaker would need to be rated at 75W to produce a 300W RMS rating for the CAB right? I kinda doubt this thing came loaded with 4x 150W Red Coat Super V12's.

Next problem. Randall website currently lists the RS412LB as having "Celestion Greenback speakers". I ordered an RS412LB and the description said it came with "Celestion speakers", so I'm guessing it was this model, although I haven't opened it up yet to confirm whether it has Celestions or Eminence. I found another website that has this CAB listed as having "the new Lynch 50W speakers", so did this version of the RS412LB come with the 50W Celestion Lynchback-G12-50GL speakers? I would think these would have to be 75W to produce an RMS rating of 300W for the 4x12, right?. Could these be the G12H Heritage Greenback? Are they Lynchbacks? Am I missing something here? The other thing is, the stock photo of the RS412LB I bought looks like the current stock photo on the Randall website with the skull in the middle...but the stock photo from the Amazon (where I bought) and dolphinmusic say just "Randall" in the middle. Did they change the appearance of the Lynchbox CAB at some point?

Then there is the RS412LBC listed in the 2010-2011 Randall Catalog, yet no RS412LB. This is listed as having G12M Heritage Greenbacks, yet the stock photo looks the same as the RS412LB. The Celestion website shows these as 20W each, and the Randall catalog states 80W RMS which seems consistent. Has anyone ever seen an RS412LBC? A google search for RS412LBC gets you only the Randall Catalog mentioning it, no other websites. Also, I can't understand why Randall would make a 4x12 80W RMS cabinet for the RM100LB 100w head, unless it was made for the RM50HLB 50w head, but then a 4x12 CAB seems excessive for a 50W head. Anyway, I was curious if they ever even made this thing.

Ok, finally, there is the LB412. This is clearly different in styling and construction than the RS412LB, but here's the interesting thing. It is listed as having the Lynchback speakers, with an RMS rating of 200W, which to me is consistent with having 4x 50W Lynchback-G12-50GL speakers. If this has the same speakers as the RS412LB, how can one be rated 200W RMS, and the other 300W RMS??? Did Randall and the dealers just not get the specs updated correctly when they changed from Eminence to Celestion in the RS412LB? Maybe the RMS rating went from 300W to 200W, but since both are the RS412LB, maybe they forgot to change the power rating in the description???

Anyway, I'm sure anyone reading this is just as confused as me now...you're welcome! Here are some links to reference what I have been able to find so far:

http://www.indianaguitarman.com/catalog.php?item=1211

http://www.randallamplifiers.com/Products/Signature-Series-Products/George-Lynch.html

http://www.amazon.com/Randall-RS412LB-Modular-Aplification-Signature/dp/B000K669YK/ref=sr_1_6?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1328170429&sr=1-6

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/22626-randall-rs412lb-50w-speakers.html

http://www.amazon.com/Randall-LB412-200-Watt-Guitar-Amplifier/dp/B0052W4RGY

http://www.zzounds.com/item--CELLYNCHBACK8

http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/products/evh/detail.asp?ID=34

http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/products/heritage/detail.asp?ID=35

http://www.randallamplifiers.com/images/stories/manuals/RandallCatalog2010-11.pdf

http://www.randallamplifiers.com/images/stories/manuals/Randall_2009_Catalog.pdf

I found anwers to all of my questions and am now fully in the know about the George Lynch Cabinets. If anyone else lack clarity let me know.

Actually, I'm still interested in finding anything I can about the Eminence Lynch Super V's. If anyone has spec sheets or charts let me know please. I still haven't opened my cab to see what they have, and honestly can't say what I hope is in there. The Eminence Super V's sound like they are pretty awesome, yet the Lynchback's look fantastic aswell. I guess one part of me hopes they're the Super V's since you can't get those anymore...and another hopes they're not, cause if they are, I forsee a Celestion Lynchback 50w purchase on the horizon. Oh man, Lynchbacks and Super V's in an X-pattern :twisted:

SuperV's are great... i have two mixed with greenbacks. Really like the combo and they are tight.

Looking at a Lynchback for a 2 x 12 i am thinking of getting so i can run a wet/dry rig with my jcm800 or my lynchbox. Should sound pretty huge!

Can you see what speakers you have by looking through the handle openings? Maybe with a flashlight?

I'd love to find a Lynchbox 2 x 12 cab somewhere.

Yeah that would sound incredible. If the Super V's and Greenbacks go well together, the Lynchbacks should be a step closer to perfection, with the wattages just a little closer to eachother (75w/50w vs 75w/25w). Of course you won't get as early cone breakup with the Lynchbacks as with the Greenbacks, but they should match up nicely anyway and handle a little more crunch. Of course, anything from the Heritage Series is sorely tempting to try.

The model # is written on the back of the speakers so I'll have to remove the back of the cab to see what's inside. I've been keeping my eye's peeled for a Lynch 2x12. I've found one, but it cost's more than I paid for the 4x12 so I'm not ready to drop that yet.

I opened up the cabinet, and discovered (4) 20w, 15Ω, Celestion speakers made in the U.K. This must be the RS412LBC! These are Celestion G12M Heritage Greenback speakers and are of utmost quality. I am very pleased to discover this! The add had this listed as an RS412LB, and I am glad I looked into it, as the RS412LB Eminence Lynch Super V and the RS412LB Celestion Lynchback cabinets are wired for 8Ω mono impedence, while this cabinet is wired for 16Ω mono impedence. I was running my amp on 8Ω mono impedence, so I am glad I didn't fry the amp. Also, considering the total RMS rating of this cabinet is only 80w, I now know to be very careful with power and gain, especially if using a 100w head, as this cabinet is rated MUCH lower than the 300w RMS Super V and the 200w RMS Lynchback cabinets. If you have a Lynchbox cabinet, I recommend you carefully open up the back and take a look at what's inside. This one is identical in appearance from the outside to the RS412LB, and there is nothing on the packaging indicating the different components. The whole assembly was soldered together, so be careful when taking off the back, as there are only a few inches of slack in the wiring. Let me know what you find in yours!!!

Sound slike quality control issues.. heritage greenies are great but if i paid for SuperV's i'd want them... Still would love 2 lynchbacks in a cab for comparison though. Not sure any 2 x 12 lynchbacks ever hit the market. I saw a few advertised but this doesn't mean they made it past the concept phase.

Yeah I am a little dissappointed to miss out on Super V's but they pop up used occasionally. They were in the 2009 model, so a new cab with them would be pretty rare. The Eminence Super V's seem to be incredible and I'd love to try them out. But between the Lynchbacks and the G12M Heritage, I'd hands down take the G12M's. Lynchback are $130/ea made in China, while the G12M's are $220/ea made in the U.K. The tone will be a lot different with the different power rating and impedence, but the G12M's are phenominal speakers.

Nice man! Do you have anything to compare them to? I think those are what George really wanted from the beginning...just my oppinion. He made due with a greenback style speaker, but still had them mod it out for more power handling. (4) 75w speakers is quite a lot for a traditional 412. You can get 4 75w or 4 80w configurations, but it's not really a popular load like 2 60w's w/2 75w, or 4 60w, etc...I think he likes to crank out the power. When you look at his signature Eminence Super V12, that thing had 150w per speaker! Lynchback is probably the coolest name any Celestion speaker ever recieved, but I personally just think the Eminence 75w's were closer to his style. I would love to have 4 of those speakers! They'd never leave my possession :twisted:

To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me if the lynchback is very close to the Superv. He had described the Super V as being a cross of a Fane - greenback- and touch of V30. By the sounds of it, the lynchback accomplishes something very similar. I'll let you know soon enough though as I plan on picking up a lynchback for another cab.

Awesome, I would love to hear a side by side comparison. No doubt the Lynchback comes close. There was a 2x12 listed on Amazon for the longest for north of $600 but it's finally gone. I wouldn't mind having one of those either.

seanh303 said:
Awesome, I would love to hear a side by side comparison. No doubt the Lynchback comes close. There was a 2x12 listed on Amazon for the longest for north of $600 but it's finally gone. I wouldn't mind having one of those either.
It will be here tomorrow :wink:
I am hoping it is loaded with the Super Vs. Doing some research looking through the Randall Catalogs and price sheets it appears they made two versions of the 2X12 Lynchbox cab.RS212LB and RS212LBC. The C indicates it is Celestion Greenback loaded. I like Greenbacks but I really hope it has the SuperVs. Either way it will look good supporting my LB50 head! It wasn't a very good buy compared to the Randall 4X12 blowouts on Ebay but I really did not want or need another 4X12. I have to think these RS212LB cabs are pretty rare.

Well the RS212LB showed up today. I pulled the back off and it came with the Greenbacks :cry: Why would Randall make a cabinet rated for 40 watts when the matching head is rated 50 watts :roll: I will post a review and post some pictures in another thread.

On the bright side, the speakers run $220 a piece. I'll PM you an answer to your ?. Oh yeah, who said you could buy MY cab??? :lol:
Hey on the bright side, like I said, those are some expensive Celestions...could get you well on your way to the pair you want. There's 2 super V's on here for $150, and you could get more than that by selling 1 of those G12M's.

I have a 2x 12. Only a few were made. Sounds killer. Don't know what speakers are in it. It was the last one Randall had. Got it through Funky Munky. I will try to see what speakers are in it but I have to take it apart. It is vented at the bottom but not enough to see. Maybe if I had a dental mirror....

Yeah dude, definitely want to check, as it could be rated at 150w RMS, 100w RMS, or 40w RMS depending on what speakers are loaded in it. Even if you are using just a 50w head (but ESPECIALLY if a 100w), you'll want to know how much volume and distortion you should be cranking so as not to risk blowing the speakers.

Spencer4hire said:
Doing some research looking through the Randall Catalogs and price sheets it appears they made two versions of the 2X12 Lynchbox cab.RS212LB and RS212LBC. The C indicates it is Celestion Greenback loaded. I like Greenbacks but I really hope it has the SuperVs.

They only made a limited number of the RS212LBCs--never made the RS212LBs. I went through quite a run around back when they were supposed by available. They had advertised the gold trimmed, SuperV loaded 212 for the longest time--and never actually made them. I ordered one and got the 212C which was silver trimmed and loaded with greenbacks. After a big back and forth with various people at Randall, it was determined that they had the two versions listed but I was told the 212C with silver trim was the only one available. They had a short run and discontinued because the Lynch line was getting a "make over" Anyway, I converted it over to gold trim, to include repainting the smaller size skull and bones from silver to gold and replacing the black and silver grill cloth with black and gold grill cloth. It looks totally OEM. I loaded it with EVM 12Ls--the greatest guitar speaker ever made. I would never put them in a 4 x 12 though because they weigh 20 pounds each. The difference between the EVM and a Celestion or an Eminence is like the difference between the Wright Bros biplane and the Space Shuttle. Way HUGE bottom, silky smooth mids and highs--and virtually indestructible. My fav speaker for 20 years--downside is they are so heavy. I had tried the ultra light Celestion Century vintage in the Lynch 212 which weigh less the 4 pounds each (in my 40s and the back aint what it used to be) But, I just could not get used to them after using EV in everything else I've had since the 80s. I used EV Force speakers in the 80s and switched to the EVM in he early 90s. Anyway, after the swap--wow, what a huge and amazing difference. I've just accepted the extra weight is worth it. Zakk Wylde uses them in his 4 x 12s but of course he has roadies--that's 80 pounds of speakers per cab!