Tip Jar Etiquette

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham Pearson

Reaction score
I have a 5-piece dance band. We play all kinds of venues. We?re currently having a pretty heated debate about when a tip jar is appropriate. I?d like your thoughts on this for each of the following types of venues. For each of these venues, assume that the band is being paid appropriately and that all members of the band have agreed that the pay is sufficient without taking any tips.

1. You?re playing a private occasion such as a wedding reception, birthday party, anniversary, etc.

2. Your band has volunteered to play for a fund-raising event.

3. You?re playing a non-private venue such as a club or dance hall and the proprietor is NOT charging admission.

4. Same as 3, but the proprietor IS charging admission.

What? Actually making money for performing?
Let's see.......
First, we started playing sweet 16 parties and got paid.
Then, high school dances, and got paid.
Then, bars and rock and roll clubs, and got paid.....
Then.....
Something happened......
"Well, we'll pay you part of the door if it's over $XX.XX dollars...."
Then,
What can you guarantee us at the door....
Then,
You play for "exposure"
Then,
You pay the club owner and if the door goes over what you paid the owner
then you get "some of it back, maybe..."
What crap...
So, now, I only play music I like, there's a few clubs, bars, restaurants that like us, and I keep my day job.
And make a little money.
If I'm not having a good time, I don't do it.
Oh, and weddings.....
They prefer DJs.....
If there's a DJ, I don't go.
I'd rather listen to my own music collection.
Have a nice day.

1, 3, & 4. I would say the fundraiser dictates all funds should go to the cause.

Only 3 and 4.
It can be a touchy subject. I feel if you take requests,have a tip jar out there...If you are acommodating people, there should be a way for them to Thank you. You are providing a service,right?
Exception: Fundraisers..you are there for the cause not yourself.

And did I mention...be a pro..know the songs, have em' ready or there is no pint in putting a tip jar out at all...but you knew that.

GtrGeorge

PS: I lived in Texas (and played there,too) and I noticed alot of people didnt know gig ettiquette..I guess the bizness environment and the great distances between towns makes it hard for that small information to disseminate.

ned said:
My band would only put out a tip jar for 3 and 4.
Yep, 3 and 4.

Fundraisers are about the cause, not your band. Don't take away money people might donate to the event by putting out a jar.

And if I hired a band for a party, wedding, etc, it would piss me off if they put out a tip jar to try to guilt my guests into paying them even more.