The Lynch Box Dilemma

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scary groove

Reaction score
Okay. Need a little help from the experts. I am a garage rockstar at most. I currently own the Lynch Box 50W combo and am happy with it. I might be joining a buddy's classic rock cover band very soon, and I want to have the best gear with the best tone (obviously). I never really played out so I am not sure if my LB combo can cut it. I have the chance to get a great deal on a Lynch Box 4X12. There are also great deals on a Lynch Box 50W head or the 100W head.

Many of you have talked about the difference in the tone between a LB 50w vs 100w vs a 50W combo. I am even considering an RM4 for the ability to have a 4th module. I am not sure what route to go. What do you think? Thanks in advance for your advice :D

Okay. RM4 plus VHT power is my favorite tone, but if I had to pick one off the list (for gigging) the Lynch Box 100 would be it. I've tried and I just can't gig with a rack (insert joke here).

Get both the 50 and 100W heads and use one or the other as a backup. Some places have house sound, some don't. That and accounting for the size of the venue will help you decide which to use primarily. That's my two-bit plan anyway. Or the GAS talking.

Another cheaper option would be to add another cab with different speakers.

Personally, I like the RM100's better but that could be because the two RM50 combo's I had must have had the older board and were too dark and muddy for me. The two RM100's I had were both clearer and just better for me.

I use a RM100KH now with an Egnater 2X12 and 1X12 both with Scumbacks and love what I get out of them.

My take:
if the drummer is loud, use a 100 watt amp, if he is a lower volume guy 50 is suffiecient.
I assume you arent wealthy. If you are buy both and an rm4 if ya like..these things are addictive in some ways.
But if your practical read my advice at the top..and in most venues (like in SF) 50 watts and 2x12 is all you need..more than that is a hassle..and remember you can always mic it up,if you need more volume out front (and you usually never ever do!!)
GtrGeorge

if you see Steve Wall...tell em GtrGeorge from NY says HI!!!

that cat can play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hoe much **** do you want to lug around at a gig?? Just get an extention cab to run off your combo. Furthermore, most places should have a PA system. If they don't, the sound will be horrible anyway so don't worry. A 50 watt amp can easily hang with a drummer. Even a single speaker in a combo. I know my JCM800 will hang all day with drums. I don't like the sound of only one speaker but hey, with a mic it will def. do the trick.

After just picking up a RM4, I find myself saying why didnt I do this a long time ago. It sounds good though a solid state power amp or better yet my Lynch Box 50 Head.
So get one and run it into your combo and call it done. 6 modules what more could you ask for?! :wink:

The RM4 idea through the combo sounds good. But I just got a line on a Lynch box cab for $499. So now I'm thinking that with a 100W. I am going to take my time and just see what I can get the best deal on. I really appreciate all the input.

I would go with the 100 watt simply because you can pull 2 fuses and have a 50 watt head.

Also the 100 watt head was by FAR the cheapest thing I could find when I bought my amp. Everyone is making the switch to low wattage amps I guess.

I have the RT2/50 and played a few really big festival stages with it in switching mode (50 watts) and never got the levels even up to half. A 50 watt head really should serve you well for any gig environment. Most sound guys would rather have stage volume at a reasonable level and mic you than have 100 watts taking the heads off half your audience.