New Clip: SG MK22

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacredGroove

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Courtesy of Mike P, a new clip of the MK22 was sent to me recently. It's a laid back vibe, but very cool tone and good vibe, nonetheless. After listening to it about a dozen times, I figured I'd check to see if I could show it off here. Mike is, and has been, busy for awhile and not really available, so having a new track from him during this time is a bonus. Thanks Mike!

If you need to know signal path, I'd search for other clips Mike has posted because I wouldn't know, but the module is in 2203 mode.

www.mikeplas.com/mlib/am/paradisecove.mp3

Sounds great as usual. I just happened to be jamming on my MK22 when I noticed this, but I've got mine in 2204 mode with the gain on 8. That is a savage crunch that it gets. I love how this module excels at both mid-gain tones and tight aggression.

Whoopysnorp said:
Sounds great as usual. I just happened to be jamming on my MK22 when I noticed this, but I've got mine in 2204 mode with the gain on 8. That is a savage crunch that it gets. I love how this module excels at both mid-gain tones and tight aggression.

Thanks, Dude!

This clip features the MK22 in 2203 mode (cleaner mode) with the gain at about 12 o'clock. It's my usual signal chain (Bogner Cube>Mojave 201>Vintech 273>FMR PBC-6a>Apogee) using my Warmoth/Charvel clone I built last year in the middle humbucking position (JB Trembucker and a SH-2 Jazz).

It's hard to tell but I used my fretless Jazz bass on this track, which was a blast. The drums were fun, too (and only took about 6 hours!) :D

Actually, Mike, now that you're here, there's something I've been meaning to ask you regarding the MK22: does the original JMP 2203 that is the basis for the module have a bright switch? I've never noticed a bright switch on Marshalls from that era, and the bright switch on this module has a really drastic effect on the tone--so much so that I rarely find it useful, and I'm usually the type to keep the bright switches on my modules turned on at all times.

Whoopysnorp said:
Actually, Mike, now that you're here, there's something I've been meaning to ask you regarding the MK22: does the original JMP 2203 that is the basis for the module have a bright switch? I've never noticed a bright switch on Marshalls from that era, and the bright switch on this module has a really drastic effect on the tone--so much so that I rarely find it useful, and I'm usually the type to keep the bright switches on my modules turned on at all times.

The original 2203 and 2204's had a Bright Cap on the Treble control, which is emulated by the Bright Switch on the SG MK22. Most guys had their tech's remove that cap to "warm" up the amp. It's the first modification done by most Master Volume JMP owners and from what I understand, Jim Marshall discontinued the use of that bright cap by 1979.

FTR, I like the Bright Switch to be on in 2203 mode because it cleans up the amp quite a bit but I turn it off in 2204 mode.

Hope that helps. :D

Cool, that's good info. Yeah, the bright switch is nice on the cleaner settings, but when I turn it on I have to dial my treble way down to get rid of the ice pick--like down to 3 or 4. I can see why Marshalls from that era have a reputation as being bright, yikes. Anyway, the MK22 is a masterpiece, and I'd say it's neck and neck with my Stonerverb as the best module in my collection. Thanks for commissioning it.

The original 2203 and 2204's had a Bright Cap on the Treble control, which is emulated by the Bright Switch on the SG MK22. Most guys had their tech's remove that cap to "warm" up the amp. It's the first modification done by most Master Volume JMP owners and from what I understand, Jim Marshall discontinued the use of that bright cap by 1979.

That's actually a great feature to be honest! Very faithful to the MArshall design! I heard you guys talking about bright so naturally I rolled right in 8)
My 2204 is an 82 and it has the bright cap. My understanding is that some did some didn't depending on whoever worked on the amp. No biggie though, just a lil snip snip surgery and you are good. I of course am a fan of the bright cap. It is supposed to make a difference at lower levels and the more you turn the master volume up, the less effect it has but of course that is ear splitting territory. My amp is a monster. The master volume at 4 with a 4 x 12 rattles the walls. It is ridiculous.

Kapo_Polenton said:

That's actually a great feature to be honest! Very faithful to the MArshall design! I heard you guys talking about bright so naturally I rolled right in 8)
My 2204 is an 82 and it has the bright cap. My understanding is that some did some didn't depending on whoever worked on the amp. No biggie though, just a lil snip snip surgery and you are good. I of course am a fan of the bright switch. It is supposed to make a difference at lower levels and the more you turn the master volume up, the less effect it has but of course that is ear splitting territory. My amp is a monster. The master volume at 4 with a 4 x 12 rattles the walls. It is ridiculous.

Your 2204 is very, very different than a 1976 designed (1977 release) two input JMP.

He completely changed the gain structure and the tone stack. I never understood why he kept the same numbering system.

Roger that.. the differences though aren't that great when you look at the schems or layouts side by side but yeah there are some differences which will affect tone you are right. I'll take me a bright JMP please :lol: