JF Custom mod - Judge/Beast (GTO:KK)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamner1

Reaction score
282665_419036478140435_100001022580795_1401062_2083284046_n.jpg

Rob definately improved on the stock tone of the Judge (It is less harsh) but kept the basic Mode1 tone. If I didn't want to use this primarily as the heavy & aggressive monster the other side is, I could see this unseating the Brahma for the mid gain tone.

The other side of this is crazy. I am still trying to get a feel for how to dial it in. The boost is not as intense as you would think. Really doesn't need to be when in Beast mode, but it adds just a little extra sizzle. The GTO/KK switch (voicing) I struggle to explain, it seems it is doing more than just revoicing the mids. Sad part is Rob told me during R&D what it would do. The Judge/Beast on Beast mode adds some brutality. It gets thick & adds overdrive. You will not mistake when it is in Beast mode. To be honest I think my cab doesn't do this mod justice. Maybe a Mesa cab, a GenzBenz ported, or similar would be more appropriate. I'll try to get the recording setup tomorrow to post some sound clips/youtube vid.

honestly im new to this whole randall mts world. i bought this mod on a whim from hamner1 for a tax return gift to myself along with a 59rr. these 2 modules went into the rm100 and they havent came out. compared to the 59rr(jcm800, vintage) the beast with the kk voice feels bright, tight and loaded with bite. flip the voice switch to gto and things thicken up alot. my poor xtc and ultra hasn't seen the light of day since these mods arrived in the mail.

So does the GTO/Beast differ enough from the 59RR to warrant keeping both? I saw that mod when it was for sale but already have a 59RR Platinum, so thought it might be redundant. Plus, I was more interested in the Beast side rather than the GTO. Now if Rob came up with the Beast/KH2 or the Beast/1987 type mod, I'd be sold. Give me a thrash library of tones in one mod and I'll be emptying my wallet fast! :D

That said, the 59RR Platinum and Pitbull both make a killer thrash tone. I love each on their own, but when I recorded both and combined them, it was (black) magic. :twisted:

speed2dirt said:
So does the GTO/Beast differ enough from the 59RR to warrant keeping both?

hard question. they are very sim, if i can get my hands on a treadplate or snakebite one of them might go. but for now the beast is set at a higher gain setting with scooped mids and the 59rr is rolled back to 2 oclock on gain with noon on the mids.
im gonna have the randall setup as my dirty amp soon and paired up with a 60s silverface twin and a lesley 770 for the clean side. i think its gonna be fine keeping these 2 mods for a while.

That was a great description of the Beast. They are both Marshall goodness, but different enough to have both. I could never get the 59 to sound like the Beast. The Beast has more bite & definitely tighter. I never did it justice, as I never tuned lower than E flat. Those of you that tune drop D flat or a full step or 2 down would love the mod.

Latest posts