What does "line out" mean? (G3 Series)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJLeo77

Reaction score
I'm researching amps and I looking at the G3 series of Randalls. Can somebody tell me if "line out" means I can connect headphones? I need an amp that has the ability to plug in headphones from time to time. I like the RG100G3 but it doesn't have the headphone jack in the front like the RG75G3 but it does have "line out" in the back. Thanks.

yes/no... I think line out is mainly meant for connection to a Mixer- Although I think it could be connected to head phones... ( maybe someone with more knowledge of Connection levels can confirm).

Hmm.
I would have thought that a line out would be a preamp signal that you could send to an power amp to push more cabs...

The "Line Output" or "Pre-Amp Output" is an output signal for driving additional amps or a recording device. The signal is not affected by the front volume controls, only the controls from your input instrument. It is not a speaker or headphone output (although you might be able to hear the sound from it). Many systems use RCA or DIN jacks for "Line Output" to prevent connecting headphones directly. The signal is usually around 1/2 Volt with an impedance of about 10,000 ohms (your speakers are from 4 ohms to 16 ohms usually).
Hope this helps.
:) BigDon

BigDon said:
The "Line Output" or "Pre-Amp Output" is an output signal for driving additional amps or a recording device. The signal is not affected by the front volume controls, only the controls from your input instrument. It is not a speaker or headphone output (although you might be able to hear the sound from it). Many systems use RCA or DIN jacks for "Line Output" to prevent connecting headphones directly. The signal is usually around 1/2 Volt with an impedance of about 10,000 ohms (your speakers are from 4 ohms to 16 ohms usually).
Hope this helps.
:) BigDon

Yes it does. Very much. Thanks BigDon!