Looking for some speaker advice...What speakers do you LOVE?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattfig

Reaction score
OK good people, I call upon your expertise in speakers to help me avoid making a bad decision...

Here's my scene - Have every major Celestion and even some weird ones. All but the Greenbacks impress me. They sound shrill to my ear and with my gear. Don't want any more Celestion. Something different. But not radical.

I love my V30s and will probably always record with them. But...Want something in the realm of 30 watt (ohms don't matter) ... If you recommend something with a higher power rating please explain how it will sound when used with a 50 or 100 watt tube amp. In a 2x12, closed back...

Something that can lay back and hit hard. I know that is asking for the moon but some of you good people must have something that you LOVE.

What speakers are you all time faves?

Thanks,
Fig

PS I'll be listing the Greenbacks in the Classifieds as soon as I get picks :wink:

Julia said:
You know you can EQ GBs so they don't sound shrill, right?

Purple Fanes are my favorites.

Agreed. I am aware of EQ. I just don't like to use too much and to get the Greenies where I want sonically is reaching that threshold.

Thank you for the suggestion. :D Purple Fanes are something unfamiliar to me. How would I set my EQ on the Greenies to sound like those?

I really like the Scumback M75 and H75 combination (60 watt) in my Egnater TM cab. Right now the back is closed but it sounded great open as well. I tried out my old Ampeg 4x12 cab loaded with Vintage 30s the other day and I couldn't switch back fast enough; just sounded like doodoo in comparison. I used to really like the 4x12 except when I got loud, then the V30s start to have that icepicky funky thing they do. I'm kind of disappointed I don't like the 4x12 anymore because I wanted to use it in a W/D/W setup as the center dry cab.

The Scumbacks I have are the older version; I want to try the new black backs that I hear are even better.

What I'm trying to do now is use my TM cab as the center W/D/W and get two Mojo Tone oversize 1x12 cabs loaded with 100w Scumback J75-LHDC for the wet sides. The center cab would be powered by the RT2/50 in switching mode and the wets would be powered by a Matrix GT100FX.

after being a Heritage Greenie guy for a long while, I recently moved to K100s and love 'em.

I like that they are a lot flatter than most, and I can dial my mids as I know I want to hear them, and do less dialing out what I don't like about the speaker.

I've gotten some good results with x pattern K100s and v30 as well. If only allowed one, I would stick with the K.

Check out the Freidman Naked amp demo at the amp show. around 4 minutes. Scumback J75s.

I have heard a lot of great things about Jensen Electric Lightnings, supposed to be a V30 killer!!! I have had a few Jensen speakers in the past, and I think that they are much better built than Celestions.

I have also had, and liked Scholz Sugarcones (now called the Classic). Those are a bit of a different beast, and they sound great in a good quality cab.

GuitarGuyLP said:
I have heard a lot of great things about Jensen Electric Lightnings, supposed to be a V30 killer!!! I have had a few Jensen speakers in the past, and I think that they are much better built than Celestions.

I have also had, and liked Scholz Sugarcones (now called the Classic). Those are a bit of a different beast, and they sound great in a good quality cab.

The one set of Jensens I have (don't even know the make off hand) sound great....I don't use 'em often but when I do, they always impress...I should check more into them...Price seems good too...

Judging by your like of GB, I probably play a different style of music than you do but I wont go back to Celestion now that I have tried Eminence. I have a Redstar 412 cabinet loaded with Swamp Thangs and Texas Heats in an X pattern...crushing. I use them with a Redstar 212 that I have loaded with Lynch Super Vs and I like the high gain combo. I also like the Recto OVersized cabinet again now that I took out the V30s and put Emi Govenors (similair to V30) and Man-O-Wars (similair to G12T75) in an x pattern. it seems to have even more presence that the similar bogner berschall cabinets that i have heard.

Latest posts