Tubes used in Randall RM100?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bukak65

Reaction score
Hi,
I just got into the modular thing. Coming off from Boutique and modded
Marshallish amps. I was wondering what tubes work the best? Clean big a boomy 6L6's or EL34's?

Play around with both and let your ears decide. Many people run a pair of each and have good luck with that, including myself.

The Rossness said:
my favourite setup is 2 EL34's and 2 6CA7's

+1. I have tried just about everything else and am sticking with this combo.

I love my Marshall'ish tones and this mix is where it's at for me. YMMV depending on the tones you want.

FWIW, I had a Tverb for years and after the first year, I swapped the 6L6's for 34's and loved the thing so much more. If I had a Recto module, I would be willing to bet that I would like it with 34's in the RM100 also.

JD said:
Play around with both and let your ears decide. Many people run a pair of each and have good luck with that, including myself.

I do too.

I have Tung Sol EL34Bs on the inside and JJ 6L6GCs on the outside.

You bias based on the range recommended for EL34 or whatever tube you are using. There is a youtube video that explains this. In a way you are slightly disadvantaged because you do not know what the plate voltage is without opening the amp so you don't really have a baseline and a drift there means you might be somewhere closer to the hot or cold side of the bias. If you aim for the middle you are going to be fine and running the tubes at a place that is comfortable and sounding good.

As for tubes, I find them expensive as is so for me I go with reliability. Subtle nuances are there but a **** player with great gear is still crap. Right now I am fond of EL34 svetlanas (think Slash still runs these) and chinese pres. Only slight "mojo"ish thing for me is a balanced JJ preamp tube in the PI. Not sure why, but i think i heard/felt a difference. If you are in the states, go with ARS preamp tubes. Friedman recommended. As you seem to be a Marshall guy, those should get you well enough in flavour country. I can spend so much time chasing tone that i forget to play and MAKE my own tone.