Building a case to hold all of my guitars

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamner1

Reaction score
Right now dimensions are 5ft tall x 4ft wide x 1.5ft deep. This will be standing upright with casters on the bottom for easy relocation in my gear room. The dotted lines are the working space within the case to layout the guitars. The ample space at the top I am thinking of adding a shelf to hold strings, tuners, cables, cleaning supplies, etc.

I am wanting some suggestions from you fine people about the following: I originally thought about just using guitar hangers. Then I thought when moving the guitars will likely swing about some & likely smack against each other. I also had an idea of making the plush lining form fitted. I like this idea but then what happens if I acquire a Les Paul, Star, Mockingbird or any shape other than the Rhoads, KV, or Strat/Soloist/Dinky. I think I have an idea for that which would involve custom foam pieces cut, covered with plush lining, & velcro to hold pieces in place. Then if a new shape appears I can relocate &/or make new pieces. I am ok with other suggestions as well on the above and anything else on the design.

Here is the general layout I have planned.
GuitarCasePlan_zpsf071c04a.jpg

Might as well give an update or pics of the progress.
got the wood cut to the proper dimensions
100_0969.jpg

Sides came together nicely. You can see the outside on the left piece & hiding behind it you can see the inside with the braces of the right side. The case will be about 21" deep. You can also see the "floor" pieces in the forfront (short slats).
100_0978.jpg

The back side was a pain in the ***. Would have been easier had I just sprung for longer pipe clamps. Instead I used my 3 foot clamps and glued 2 seperate sections together. Then I used the ratcheting straps, that you see in the pic, to glue the two pieces together. The downside is the straps want to create upward pressure, instead of just straite pressure through the work, witch makes the pieces want to curl up. I eventually got the right amount of torque on the straps. The width of the case will be 55".
100_0977.jpg

The front door I think will present a problem. I had intended to build a double plexiglass pained door the full width. I have not been able to source plexiglass sheets this width & height. I forgot to mention the height will be just over 5' not including the casters.

Hopefully I will still have some nice weather next week... it fricken rained all this past week until the last couple days. The week before that it was below 40 all week.

Hamner1 said:
I am wanting some suggestions from you fine people about the following: I originally thought about just using guitar hangers. Then I thought when moving the guitars will likely swing about some & likely smack against each other. I also had an idea of making the plush lining form fitted. I like this idea but then what happens if I acquire a Les Paul, Star, Mockingbird or any shape other than the Rhoads, KV, or Strat/Soloist/Dinky. I think I have an idea for that which would involve custom foam pieces cut, covered with plush lining, & velcro to hold pieces in place. Then if a new shape appears I can relocate &/or make new pieces. I am ok with other suggestions as well on the above and anything else on the design.

I had a couple of ideas.

1. What if you had foam or carpet covered T-bars behind each guitar, so that the guitar leans back on it while it's hanging from a hanger? The lean of the guitar, the friction of the T-bar and the grip of the hanger should stop them swinging about when you move it - unless the plan is to give the kids rides up and down your hallway on top of it.

2. What about getting the bottom prongs off a guitar stand and fitting them below the hangers? Mount them in a hole at a predetermined length below each hanger and if you need to put in a different guitar, relocate the bottom mount. If you predrill 3 or 4 holes in a vertical row below each hanger, relocating the mount will be dead easy and you won't have to drill new holes in your pretty finish. Advantage is that they can angle, or hook around one point of a V, or what have you. So you won't need to radically alter anything for different shaped guitars.

Interesting. If all goes well I should have the "shell" done this week and can do some mock ups. I'll definitely explore both of these ideas.

Well here are a couple of dry fit shots (back & sides only). The "floor" & "roof" are together but I thought I might get away without bracing them... not so much. They have some spring in them, so hopefully I will have them braced Wednesday & then the shell can be glued, nailed, & stained. I may decide to use a Kreg jig so I can take it apart. I'm realizing this is going to be huge & a pain in the *** to haul upstairs if we ever move. :lol:
DryFitfrontshot.jpg

DryFitangleshot.jpg

Some update on the work. Unfortunately with weather & travel not a whole lot more done. I think I will move the compressor inside & this weekend Hopefully get this squared up, glued, & tacked. Then add some trim to the opening to make it look better & something to attach the door to. I think if I can get that all done on Saturday, then maybe get some foam & plush installed.
I think I might actaully be able to get 6 guitars in here with plenty of spacing. 4 facing flat & stagered, like in the 1st post, & 1 hanging on each end parallel to the ends. As if I need an excuse to get more guitars. :lol:
DryFitbox.jpg

I think I am in need of rearranging things, so this will fit & the cab is not blocked. You can kind of seem a little warping of the panels. The joy of working with these slats. But nothing a couple of ratcheting tie straps can't remedy
Needtorearrange.jpg