Salvation or JF Mesa (mark and recto) vs triaxis

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacksun

Reaction score
Hi, we have talked about mesa-modded modules before but I really want an advice here;

I'm in Europe where mesa stuff is more expensive and sometimes harder to come by. 10 years ago I dreamed of getting a mesa boogie triaxis preamp and recently there has popped up (out of nowhere) a couple of 2.0 units with the phat mod not far from me, hence they contain the recto circuit board.

This is about Jaded faith and salvation mesa and recto mods vs
1) the triaxis ("rectified" - pardon the pun)?
2) mesa mark V head and a dual rectifier head?

Anyone had the chance to compare side by side? Anyone tried the modules through a 2:100 or 2:90 mesa poweramp?

Pros cons?

Well, I've never played a Triaxis, but my understanding is that a) people mostly dislike the Phat Mod, and b) the Recto mode on the Triaxis doesn't really sound like a Rectifier. The Triaxis' Mark series tones should be pretty on the money, but I don't think you can expect it to do Recto too.

Hey,

I've got a number of Boogies including the triaxis 2.0 (mines non-phat) but I've never had the chance to compare either a Salvo or JF modded module to them yet!

I would say that I thought that the stock mod's (Recto and Modern) were not all that close to the actual dual recto.

I used my Triaxis for years, until I realised that I was using it for four basic sounds - now I use a RM4 live. I agree with Whoopysnorp the Triaxis does not really do the recto sound even with the phat mod - it does all the mark series very well up to the Mark IV. But if you need a module to get close to the Mark sound I think the Egnater EG5 is pretty there - tight, trebally, slightly rasping and very distorted :)

I would say go for what you are going to use most - the Boogie stuff is well made and very good but also in Europe very expensive - my RM4 cost me (with 4 modules, but second hand) $750 + $120 shipping to the UK and that is probably less that half of what a second hand Triaxis would cost!

So for the cost of the Triaxis you could probably get a RM4 + a JF/Salvo Mark amp sounding module + a JF/Salvo Recto sounding module and a Matrix power amp - rig made, job done!

Whoopysnorp said:
Well, I've never played a Triaxis, but my understanding is that a) people mostly dislike the Phat Mod, and b) the Recto mode on the Triaxis doesn't really sound like a Rectifier. The Triaxis' Mark series tones should be pretty on the money, but I don't think you can expect it to do Recto too.
I have heard this same exact thing more than once.

While I have not used a Triaxis in a long while. I currently have my Mesa-based modules paired with the Mesa 2:90 power amp that has always been the choice of most Triaxis users. I can say the pairing of these mods and that power section has been great.

I know, kinda related. Kinda not.

I sold my Triaxis to buy my RM50. Still use the Simul-Class 395 power amp slaved from the Randall head. Could store 100 different Mark Series Boogie sounds on the Triaxis, which is about 97 more than I needed...

gag halfrunt said:
Whoopysnorp said:
... my understanding is that a) people mostly dislike the Phat Mod, and b) the Recto mode on the Triaxis doesn't really sound like a Rectifier. The Triaxis' Mark series tones should be pretty on the money, but I don't think you can expect it to do Recto too.

I own a Triaxis v.1 and have played a non-phat v2. All these versions differ in one sound (Lead 1 Red as far as I remember).
Only this one sound was set to imitate the Vintage Lead of the Rectifier. All others are Boogie's aim to achieve a programmable Mark-series preamp, successing the Studio and Quad Preamps.

My conclusion: v2 doesn't sound like a Rectifier. The most wanted modern channel isn't included anyway and that is the focus of most MTS mods. JF Mark X is mainly an approach on the Mark V, which is a lot newer that the Triaxis.
So, the closest module to a Triaxis is Salvation MarkUS in its latest version.

To me the Triaxis offers good cleans, variable crunch not too british and some nice lead stuff. Although Sepultura still use it, it is mainly not a Metal preamp.

As far as getting Mark series sounds goes, I would say you should keep your eyes open for a Studio Preamp. Those don't go for too big bucks (at least over here), and they really sound phenomenal. Probably the best you can get in a rack preamp format. Sure, the Quad Preamp is more versatile simply because you have twice the channels and controls, but if all you're after is a massive Mark II-style lead tone and a nice robust clean (and everything in between), the Studio will do it for you. I have a Studio Preamp in the same rig with my MTS stuff for my apartment setup and I love it. I've owned that preamp for over six years now.

Personally, the Clean of the Studio Preamp and Quad rate among my all-time favorites. Real clean, fast, transparent and still with enough bass punch.

I can only coment on the MarkUs. I love it. I was going to get a Mesa Mark V. But went MTS instead.

I feel the MarkUs gives me 98% of the tone I used in the Mark V when trying out my buddies.

The MTS just gave me more options for all the styles I play.

Soon I will be doing a side by side with a JF Erect and a Salvatio Dreadplate II.

Oyster said:
I can only coment on the MarkUs. I love it. I was going to get a Mesa Mark V. But went MTS instead.

I feel the MarkUs gives me 98% of the tone I used in the Mark V when trying out my buddies.

The MTS just gave me more options for all the styles I play.

Soon I will be doing a side by side with a JF Erect and a Salvatio Dreadplate II.

The Recto's are tough to replicate apparently....Ive owned all of them to date....The "closest" to the recto to Ive had was the latest JF Erect....but the best in my opinion was the Gigmods Recto.....Huge bottom end and very srticulate..all teh good qualities of a Recto without that Characteristic fuzz...The first SG Diablo I had was pretty good too,bu tthe 2nd one wasnt....The Deadplates come very close to the Gigmods,just not quite as fat on the bottom end....they are all pretty good in their own respects.....Markus is good if you like the mark series boogie tones too.....

I've had a non modded Triaxis and sold it to a buddy who has a 2:90. It sounded good but not very Mesa-y, if that makes sense. My rhythm guitar player has a Triple Rec that I have obviously heard once or twice. :wink: FWIW I think between the Crunch and Extreme channels on the JF MarkX I have them covered...well not so much covered as blowing them away :twisted:

Thanks guys for all your input. Been also talking to a lot of non-mts gearheads and based on the general opinion it seems that the triaxis will not give me the higher gain mark tone nor the authentic rectifier tones I'm looking for.

Looks like the mts-world will save the day, hence need some more advice here :)

For more modern high gain Mark V tones - Salvation MarkUS or JF MarkX?

Rectifier tones - Salvo Dreadplate or Jaded faith?

Since I'm in Europe the most practical obvious choice would be perhaps salvation mods, but I see Jaded Faith has a lot of great reviews..Anyone compared the two? :?:

I do like the JF-Erect alot. I have EH tubes in mine and it is real thick and chunky. I'm going to try some differant Tube combos.

I have Electro Harmonics, JJ's, Ruby, and a pair of Tung Sol on the way.

Are there any other brands I should try?

That being said I will have a Dreadplate II in my hands this week and they will be sitting next to each other for the "Recto Challenge".

blacksun said:
Thanks guys for all your input. Been also talking to a lot of non-mts gearheads and based on the general opinion it seems that the triaxis will not give me the higher gain mark tone nor the authentic rectifier tones I'm looking for.

Looks like the mts-world will save the day, hence need some more advice here :)

For more modern high gain Mark V tones - Salvation MarkUS or JF MarkX?

Rectifier tones - Salvo Dreadplate or Jaded faith?

Since I'm in Europe the most practical obvious choice would be perhaps salvation mods, but I see Jaded Faith has a lot of great reviews..Anyone compared the two? :?:

Salvation for the Mk series,no doubt and JF for the Recto....The Salvation Recto is cool as well,but it is more of a hotrodded recto tone,whereas te JF is more authentic....

For recto tones I rely on my Gigmods Recto but have owned a Salvation Deadplates, JF Erect, and SG Diablo.

Quite honestly, they are all good but different.

For good measure I would like to throw the Salvation Mamba (I know Framus-based) into the mix as it is one of my personal faves...

JF MarkX hands down...and Rob can tweak it if you want to narrow your own sound down. The only improvement would be for it to be midi controllable with 100 presets :lol:

Riculus said:
JF MarkX hands down...and Rob can tweak it if you want to narrow your own sound down. The only improvement would be for it to be midi controllable with 100 presets :lol:

:lol: +1 for the Mark X as well ... A hundred MIDI controllable presets that displayed by simple motorized faders and toggles! Shouldn't be too much to ask from our modding community - I mean, there's all that wasted space in there already- might as well do something useful with it. Although, my Mark X is pretty dialed in where I like it so I'd be wasting 99 presets. Don't think I've touched the settings in the last several uses.