PlexiTweed

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zepplin490

Reaction score
Does anyone have a JF plexiTweed? Im looking to get my kh-1 modded and i want something that is sweet and fat but not distort (unless i want it to ) even with my active blackouts... I am really loving it in all the clips ive heard!

-mp-

I sing the praises of the Plexi-Tweed every chance I get, but clean is definitely not it's strong point....then again I suppose that depends on how you define clean. It does the edge of breakup thing really well, and is super responsive to your guitar volume, lot's of different tones in there.

With active pickups, I would say no, a Super Clean is what you want.....just my 2 cents.

Hmm, I was leaning towards a PlexiTweed for my next module, right in-between my stock Clean and Orange Dropped SL+ in the gain range. I want something that can play clean but be pushed into snarl with a boost. I just put a Seymour Duncan P-Rail in my '79 SG and am looking for a module to explore the in-between gain ranges with it...

I would tend to say this one at 9:00 is a pure clean module. It is a fav of mine, for sure. I have modded kh1, BF and some others.

I would say you can rely on it for awesome cleans with very little disto. The thing that is maybe different from KH1/BF is when the gain does come on, it is a different flavor than BF/KH1. It is worth it, in a marshal way I think, but then again I play with passives.

With the Boost on, however, you'll not get pure clean.

It's the active pickups that keep me from recommending it as a clean module, I just associate those PU's with a somewhat "sterile" clean sound. I think it will break up for you a little to early, although I guess that would depend on a lot of different variables.

This opinion may also be attributed to the fact that I love to push this thing with a fuzz and lower output pickups SO much...that I can't imagine worrying about getting a pure clean sound out of it :lol: . I spend half of my playing time with an old Fulltone Soulbender, a delay pedal, and this module...I'm a bit obsessed.

I tend to think this module could use one more 'option'.
At times I tend to think the 3-way switch isn't really necessary and could be wired with the 'best' sound for my use. Probably the low or middle position.

I think this module should have diode clip switch and maybe something else instead of the 3-way.... maybe a mid shift or something... I dunno.

wakeguitar said:
I tend to think this module could use one more 'option'.
At times I tend to think the 3-way switch isn't really necessary and could be wired with the 'best' sound for my use. Probably the low or middle position.

I think this module should have diode clip switch and maybe something else instead of the 3-way.... maybe a mid shift or something... I dunno.

I tend to agree about the tight switch ....mine very rarely leaves the middle position, although Rob has updated it recently. The next time I drop off donors, I'll have to get it updated.

Although...diode clipping....nah....seems complete contrary to the intended "vibe" of this mod.

We can certainly always add almost any option to a mod as a custom add-on. It would never hurt to ask and I am happy to advise if you have questions.

The Fender/Marshall switch is like a Mid Voice and Mid Shape all in one on this module, so either of those switches would not be an option.

The Diode Clipping would be a bit against the intended vibe of the mod, as pointed out earlier. But still an option for sure.

The revised Tight switch makes a much wider range between the options and makes all three positions quite different from each other.

Rob, any chance you'd be willing to post a "gain hierarchy" of your creations, as someone did a few years back for the stockers? I think it would be helpful for people--myself included--when deciding what modules to order for particular uses and musical styles.

Obviously we can deduce that an EV Trilogy has more gain than a Super Clean, but in the case of some of the in-betweeners--Erect vs. Mark X vs. Ultra Lead vs. XMG, for example--knowing the distinctions could prove useful.

Can gain amount really be quantified objectively? The EQ signature of a module plays heavily into the amount of gain we perceive, I think. To listen to, I would say that the amount of gain I get out of my SG XTC LE in red mode and structure on, with the knob at about 10:30, as on par with the gain I get out of my EV Trilogy in lead mode with all switches up and the gain on 4. If I put my MK22 in 2204 mode and crank the gain to 8, it seems to exceed the gain I get out of the Trilogy with the gain on 4. I don't know whether any of that is technically true or even measurable objectively, but the sonic signatures in these modules are all so different, it's difficult to say for sure.

zepplin490 said:
guess ive gotta send the kh-1 in for a superclean mod... its the cheapest mod rob offers and a great deal..
It's extremely popular mod and would likely be the perfect solution for what you seek. Even more affordable would be a Base Mod for your KH1 if you just need the tone but aren't seeking the switches and cosmetics.