OD SPEC settings

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wakeguitar

Reaction score
I have some thoughts concerning OD SPEC.

Very easy to get too much bassy tone. Is this module very dependent on powersection/speakers? Even guitars for that matter?

I am not in a position to try anything else except the rm100 I have currently with JJ powertubes and/or direct out with speaker sims.

What are you using to get good heavy rock tones with this modules.

So far I tend to stay away from the Deep switch because it creates a hella lot of bass that just has to be eq'd out afterwards, but I don't deny it can be pleasing to get some heavy chugging. But realistically it isn't something I seem to have settled with yet.

Oh, and I also tend to favor neck pickup as well, as it brings out the rich tone better for leads especially.
TIA

I have rev4 I believe. 04/12

btw Rob, it's not as though I don't like the tones, I'm just trying to find optimal tones that sound good in the mix, specifically rhythm tone.

cheers

must just be having one of those days when it's hard to get a good tone no matter what you do.....

still interested in OD signal chains though :))

The OD Special is a great sounding mod, but like the amps it was influenced by it is really designed for warm singing distortion tones. It is thick and chewy with a loose low-end which allow a lot of harmonic overtones to come through in your leads. I don't think it was really designed for conventional heavy rock rhythm tones where Marshalls and Mesa type amps tend to dominate.

I found in my RM50 combo that the power amp's presence knob was the most powerful in shaping the eq of the mod. Turning it up to 9 or 10 significantly opened up the high-end on the module itself.

Our band covers John Hiatt's "Buffalo River Home" and the OD Special is superb for handling the lead guitar tone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eDKKKshcks

Please overlook Thomas Kincaid's "Painter of Trite" images on this YouTube video.

Hahaha, "Painter of Trite". I love it. My dad was proud one day when he came up with "Painter of Lite".

Cheers, I think I found my problem. The Boost to the right boost a deep signal, which was giving me more bass than expected. It's a odd function than I'm used for a boost switch but its' all good now.

Mid down
Boost left'
Gain 1-2 ish
Deep off

sounds much better. this module can be one of the most 'forgiving' tones I've ever played. Even string noise/pick sounds can sound like fat tones :)