OD Special....

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buriedorburned

Reaction score
What's the deal with the OD Special?
Is it a clean mod that can really push into rock leads?
I haven't heard or read that much on it, very curious.....

buriedorburned said:
What's the deal with the OD Special?
Is it a clean mod that can really push into rock leads?
I haven't heard or read that much on it, very curious.....

Some have described as being able to do clean, but I wouldn't. IMO it's distinctly overdrive through and through.
The tone is super rich with awesome sustain.

It certainly can do cleans due to the huge amount of headroom (gain around 9:00 or lower) available on the level knob, but midgain is where it's at for this one. If you seek a clean, I'd suggest a Texas Special for the Fender/Mesa side of things or a Super Clean for pristine cleans (think Roland Jazz Chorus).

So here is the cleanest I could get. The gain is on 0.5 (7:30), and dressed it up a bit with some verb and delay..

http://soundcloud.com/gigarent/od-clean
I suppose it's possible but its a very different kind of clean that I'm used to, it's seems kinda like a subdued clean with the gain that low, not sparkly clean like some other modules I've used.

cheers

ok, cheers. I think it was the wrong module for me to look at, I was looking for a cleaner mod, and I think the Texas Special will do that for me.

I'll have a listen to your clip anyways.

I'm glad I found this post because I was going to buy the OD special partly because of the clean tones found on the media section of jadedfaithmods.com

Listening to the Rick Winking Duke Ellington "OD special" demo, I was thinking "holy cow, that module has a great clean tone too!", but after some research, I found that was all the superclean module and not the OD special.

Rob, please change that user-submitted demo to be of the "superclean" module and not the OD special. i still LOVE the OD special overdriven sound, but that clip made it look like it got jazzy-clean too

The OD Special was done after me wanting a Dumble type tone module. If any of you are familiar with Robben Ford or Sonny Landreth or David Lindley who was the slide player for Jackson Browne those are Dumble amp tones.
Rob spent a great deal of time researching these unusual amps. A real Dumble can run you $40000 .. a Two Rock derivative will cost $5000. They are very unusual amps. There tuning is very time consuming and the circuits are all hand wired. Imho, Rob did an amazing job with this module as I have owned a number of this style of amp.
I personally like the clean sounds. They are Fender based but warmer and less strident than say a blackface sound. Where it shines though is mid gain single string soloing with Humbuckers or single coils. Very touch sensitive. Wicked tones and feel and very dynamic. You can control overdrive with your pick attack!. Very different... in a good way than any MTS mod I have heard.

Rod said:
Where it shines though is mid gain single string soloing with Humbuckers or single coils. Very touch sensitive. Wicked tones and feel. Very different... in a good way than any MTS mod I have heard.
agreed ^ really a unique sound that is excellent for lo/mid gain lead passages

mikegyver said:
I'm glad I found this post because I was going to buy the OD special partly because of the clean tones found on the media section of jadedfaithmods.com

Listening to the Rick Winking Duke Ellington "OD special" demo, I was thinking "holy cow, that module has a great clean tone too!", but after some research, I found that was all the superclean module and not the OD special.

Rob, please change that user-submitted demo to be of the "superclean" module and not the OD special. i still LOVE the OD special overdriven sound, but that clip made it look like it got jazzy-clean too
Mike,
It's actually the OD Special on all the guitars. The Super Clean was only used on the bass guitar. Here is a direct quote from Rick himself taken from back when he recorded it:

Jazz guitar tones again were the Dumble OD (What a versatile mod!) again with the SuperClean on bass. I think I used a cab IR of two JBL D120s.

Hope that clears it up for you. The website description is correct.

All the best,
Rob