Power Amp for RM4

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zepplin490

Reaction score
Well im finally getting an RM4 and im wondering what everyone who runs an RM4 is using for their poweramps . I would also like to hear the opinions of those who have tried or heard the combo of an RM4 and a Peavey Classic 50/50 which is what i currently have as a poweramp...
-mp-

There are several other threads on this site that have already discussed this topic. If your RM4 sounds good with your Peavey Classic 50/50, don't worry, be happy.

I have tried the following amps with my RM4, all of which sound good to my ears:

1. Randall RT2/50 (50 watts per channel)
2. Mesa Boogie Stereo 20/20 (20 watts per channel)
3. Leak Stereo 20 (10 watts per channel)

There are just so many choices to make for you to find the perfect combination. You didn't mention your modules of choice, the gain levels, if you favour pre-amp or output distortion... Can be good to know in order to give you solid advice.

The Classic is EL-84s is it not? What do you like about it and where do you want to go from there? - since I expect you're not entirely pleased with what it does for you.

My Main Modules are a 59rr custom, an Erect and a JF Xtc... soon to be a super clean in there for cleans and ive got a ultra lead and a plexitweed on order too...
the classic 50/50 has 8 6L6's 2 12at7's and 2 12ax7's
As to weather i am pleased with the amp, So far i am but that is just with the warming up of the tones out of a pod xt pro i have never run any other preamps with it from the reviews and clips of it with other preamps i like but i have never heard it with an rm4 and modded modules.
-mp-

I use an RT/250 and love it - to me the versatility of being able to use multiple tubes types and being able to mix tubes is so much more versatile than most other power amps in those aspects.

I have been using this one:
http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/TS100
It can use different tubes, but I am happy with 6L6s and have not tried EL34s.
Plus, it was only $600.

We have pretty similar modules and this is mine. Don't think...just get one :wink:
http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=275&start=390

I bought a RT2/50 and it sounds amazing. Just the fact that it can accept any power tube is a great option.

Bill

Riculus said:
We have pretty similar modules and this is mine. Don't think...just get one :wink:

What is that, the 2/50/2 or 2/90/2? I'm waiting to see how the Fryette XLII power amp turns out.

speed2dirt said:
Riculus said:

What is that, the 2/50/2 or 2/90/2? I'm waiting to see how the Fryette XLII power amp turns out.

It's a 2502. :D

I really like the RT2/50 but I have to say the Matrix amps are a viable alternative. If you want a light rack with lots of power that sounds great. Get one. I am considering just selling the RT2/50; it's that good.

Don't mean to Kanye'd (hijack) this thread BUT anyone tried VHT 2/50/2 power amps? will they work with mix power tubes 6L6/EL34 ala RT2/50?

Actually looks pretty cool. Not a fan of the "specially designed for use with guitar processors such as the Axe-Fx" though. RM4 is not a processor.

Anomaly said:
Don't mean to Kanye'd (hijack) this thread BUT anyone tried VHT 2/50/2 power amps? will they work with mix power tubes 6L6/EL34 ala RT2/50?

I love mine. (see link above)...will use both flavors of tubage.

I've been able to use several including Mesa 2:90, Randall RT2/50, and some other non-notables...Still haven't heard MY rig through a proper VHT and I hear that is bliss...

I'm not really looking though because the RT2/50 is perfect for MTS...The MIDI switching, multi-tubes, easy bias, density/pres controls...It's a perfect match...

Riculus said:
Anomaly said:

Is there a bias pot on the amp?

Anomaly said:
Riculus said:
Anomaly said:

Is there a bias pot on the amp?

No bias required. Internal switches.

I have an Engl E840, 50 watt stereo amp. It has its pros and cons. First and foremost I like the seperate A/B volume and seperate A/B Presence and Depth controls. It sounds great with some of my higher gain modules. I do find it a little bright sounding sometimes, but that may be my room more than the amp. I've never had any quality issues with Engl so it's got that going for it.

Having said that, I got into MTS late so lacking any patience, I purchased the E840 because I couldn't find any RT2/50 amps when I wanted one...