Soilwork and the RM-100

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gainhead

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Randall catalog showing Ola Frenning and Peter Wichers of Soilwork as Randall Endorsees. I suspect they used the RM-100 head. Anyone know for sure.. and maybe which modules they used for their tones. These guys are terrific players. Randall is listed as an endorsement on their 2005 "Stabbing The Drama" release but I've been seeing them as endorsees for Krank amps now (which is what they used on Ozzfest 2005)

Hey man,

To be honest with you it's very possible they are endorsing Randall for the money (not that it's not great gear, I love the MTS stuff!). A guy I used to stay in contact with worked in a recording studio in LA and I bought a modded 5150 II off of him. He said a band had just used it on their previous album for like 1/2 of the rhythm parts, but because they were endorsed by Mesa Boogie they weren't allowed to tell people that! He told me this is quite often how it works, bands will get endorsed by amp/guitar companies and never actually use their gear! I've also heard stories of guys using empty heads onstage to "promote" amp companies but they use their real amps backstage behind the backline! :roll: Basically, not too sure how much you can trust that stuff.

Well said, and I'm well aware of the practice myself. I have a few buddies with endorsements. To your point, here is a pic of Peter during the STD sessions. Peavey 5150, ENGL and Laney heads clearly seen.. those amps could easily be the source of the tones on that album.

petergit.jpg

Yeah most bands in that vein of music use a 5150 or a 5150 II in at LEAST one song during their career! ;) I used to own a 5150 II modded by Trace at Voodoo Amps.... very sweet amp indeed!

Yeah I almost wish I didn't sell the amp... the dude that bought it gave me all sorts of crap because as it turns out he wants something "free" from every deal, so he was just trying to squeeze me for a second set of tubes, as he "didn't like" the BRAND NEW JJ tubes in the power amp section. Trace put them when he did the mods, so I know they couldn't have burned out as the max hours on the amp at that time were like MAYBE 20-25! :roll: I think I saw him trying to trade it to someone towards a McNaught.... funny stuff! I got a Mesa Nomad 100 Combo in the trade... I think I got screwed... :evil: After that I went to the MTS stuff.... and I'm sure in the next 1-2 years I will probably go back to MTS again (assuming I have room in my house, and my car doesn't die like it did again!) when I can afford to do so! 1086 was probably one of THE best original distortions I've heard from an amp in a while, and I wish I would have been able to check out the Ultra XL! If only Randall would come out with a 2-preamp RM rack... the RM-2! :lol: