Preamp w/o a gain knob?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricky

Reaction score
I guess this is for Rob, but also anyone who has owned a real classic Fender or Marshall. Now a lot of you young whippersnappers grew up playing amps with gain knobs. The old amps did not have gain knobs and in order to get them sounding a certain way, you had to crank them all the way up which got pretty loud. Gain knobs were added to ideally get that tone at a lower volume. However, there is a difference between the tone you get from an amp cranked up and an amp using the gain knob. I was wondering if anyone had ever thought of building a module with no gain knob to truly get that old tone and feel.
BTW, I had a rehearsal last night and a guy used an old Alamo amp. It had a really nice tone!

You don't have to. I do this all the time.
Max out the master volumes on the modules AND the power amp, then use the gain as the volume control as you would have on an old pre-master, pre-gain control amp.
It's like buying a brand new amp in '67 only better. Just try it.

kc2eeb said:
Max out the master volumes on the modules AND the power amp, then use the gain as the volume control as you would have on an old pre-master, pre-gain control amp.

Interesting.

Wow that is going to get balls speed bagging off of your *** loud quickly.

kc2eeb said:

Thanks. I just started a thread asking about how to set he volumes. This sounds like a great approach. I too am looking for fatter tones and I think this might just nail it.

eyeball987 said:
kc2eeb said:

Interesting.

Wow that is going to get balls speed bagging off of your *** loud quickly.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Big Steve said:
kc2eeb said:

Thanks. I just started a thread asking about how to set he volumes. This sounds like a great approach. I too am looking for fatter tones and I think this might just nail it.

So where did you post this thread? I have not seen it yet and am interested in it.