Ultra Lead anyone have one yet?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zepplin490

Reaction score
Ive got an Ultra Lead on order and im drooling with anticipation... could anyone who has one write up a short review of the mod? it would be greatly appreciated (but probably get my GAS burning hotter than ever)
-mp-

I've been playing mine over the past couple of weeks at band rehearsals and it sounds really good. Exactly as the description on the JF site says, it is very articulate, but it is really brutal at the same time. I'm still messing around with different settings, but so far, so great.

BTW What tubes are you guys using in yours?

Yes I have KT88 in the rm100, sounds crazy good with the ultra lead.

Got 6550's on the way for the rm50

I'm gonna try KT88's in my Mod 50 when my Ultra-Lead arrives. Any suggestions on brands etc...

Thanks for the KT88 suggestions, I've decided to go with with the EH KT88 I'm also looking into a set of 6550's. I've heard good things about the Svetalan's & EH's

dcg8 said:
Thanks for the KT88 suggestions, I've decided to go with with the EH KT88 I'm also looking into a set of 6550's. I've heard good things about the Svetalan's & EH's

I quite like the Winged Cs (they're supposedly a close approximation of the old GE 6550s), but they're pricy.

I still have the original tubes in my Mod 50, but since I have some time off I figured I would do a bit of tweaking. Just got 3 new mods from JF & I'm lovin' life. Since all of my mods except one are high gain, I'm thinking some beefier tubes may add a whole new level to my tone.

dcg8 said:
I still have the original tubes in my Mod 50, but since I have some time off I figured I would do a bit of tweaking. Just got 3 new mods from JF & I'm lovin' life. Since all of my mods except one are high gain, I'm
thinking some beefier tubes may add a whole new level to my tone.

FWIW, I use Tung Sol 5881 in my personal MOD50 and couldn't be happier. My 3 favorite tubes in 50 watt MTS amps are the TS 5881, TS EL34B and the EH KT88. I find all three to be very inspiring, dependable and great values.

Rob

Gents....JJ E34L ran at 39.5 with the Ultra Lead was a dream. Sweet mids and super tight punch for days.

Just got my UltraLead last friday and boy was it worth the wait Absolutely Killer Tone.. The deep switch is a thunderous option and overall i have tried many different types of gain with it it excells at all of them, It is now my #1 module (kicking the Erect outa that spot) Killer Rthym tones!!
Also i got the SLOD-100 amazing mod i like it almost as much as the UL very open and just sounds different than all the marshall/mesa tones that most high gain mods are based after...
finally i got a SuperClean Which blew my mind with how sweet and warm it is and i love the Spank switch for twangy blues and I also love that i can put the gain almost all the way up and my Charvel with active Blackouts and it still does not distort, the touch switch is awesome too and the single coil / humbucker switch is fun to mix and match with
Once again Rob u knocked it outa the park!!
My only desire for new modules is the PlexiTweed and possible a D-Zilla!
-mp-

Got mine and it almost immediatly kicked the erect out of my rthym high gain channel! the deep switch is essential as well as the boost but even without engaging any of the toggles this mod still shines.it takes a little big of tweaking and messing around with it but you will find a tone within this module that you will love it even does mid gain crunch very well!
-mp-