New Jaded Faith HW-103!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audiomidijace

Reaction score
From Rob's Facebook page!
The new HW-103!:shock:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=557973564217062&set=a.387870471227373.106653.383899174957836&type=1&theater :shock:

60907_557973564217062_79651676_n.jpg

Nice - smell the gilmour :)

Finally a mod with a switch to make your playing go from normal to brilliant!

Maybe now I can play some Zappa!

Looks very cool.

All of my modules have "suck knobs."
At least I can set them so I suck a little or suck a lot.
But I usually just leave them at noon, so I just suck.
:roll:

Man, I almost bought the Hwatt that was just up. Kinda glad I waited now. Need to find out about donors.

Nice! Now I wonder, can you jumper the channels? That would be cool if it were possible inside the module itself. Still, nice looking, looking forward to hearing how she sounds.

Sorry for the delay on details, I'll try to get the site updated this weekend. I'll have clips next week. We are in holiday crunch time right now and I am cranking away like mad to move as many orders out in time for Christmas as possible.

Stay tuned and thanks for the patience. If you want to order one, shoot me an email.

I remember asking about a Hiwatt module for a while now. Hope this sounds cool. I've got a pile of donor modules just sitting and this could lead to something very cool.

HW-103 sounds absolutely amazing. The switches act as jumpers, you can combine Normal with High or Low, and Brilliant with High or Low, same thing. The gain structure is organic as hell, tons of dimensionality and harmonic content. tons of headroom or a think punch to the chest. tonal heaven, no ****, this is a beautiful mod

our first night of use minds were blown, jaws hit the floor

withmittens said:
HW-103 sounds absolutely amazing. The switches act as jumpers, you can combine Normal with High or Low, and Brilliant with High or Low, same thing. The gain structure is organic as hell, tons of dimensionality and harmonic content. tons of headroom or a think punch to the chest. tonal heaven, no s*&t, this is a beautiful mod

our first night of use minds were blown, jaws hit the floor

This is one of the few recent mods from Rob that I'm not "getting", care to share some "jaw dropping" settings? What's the rest of your setup like? Guitar, speakers, etc...

sure, I just have a RM50 combo with a V30. I use two overdrives as clean boosts.

on HW-103 Gain noon, Bass abut 2pm, mid about noon, treble at 3pm, volume at almost full, normal channel on high input, density at around noon, presence less, master volume at 9pm

with this mod loudness is the key, you will not get there at bedroom levels. this thing breathes but needs to open up.

oh, and I play an 80's Japanese strat, and Charvel Model 4 and a '70 Gibson SG. they all sound great but the single coils are especially punchy with this mod at these settings. Your speaker may yield wildly different results

well, I've only had it for a short bit, but, so far, It has a surprising amount of gain, I would liken it to a very open and responsive crunch for sure. I've never played a DR103 but from recordings and videos and all my favorite classic records that feature this amp it is quite easy to get the big punchy, grunty sounds.

These amps were used with pedals like fuzz and overdrives to get the beef but possibly because of the MTS platform it originates from, there seems to be plenty of crunch gain available. at least with my combo. I think the important thing here is what power tubes you run, as i believe this mod directly effects the power section. would be nice to hear it with a 4 x 12. if i get serious with the HW platform I may seek out a Fane

I think Rob can probably explain the concept to me but based on the previous mods I've had, this one along with the Vybe and hopefully the THD and Ampeg, Which i plan to attain, he seems to have tapped into a way of representing the gain structure of the pres as the relate to the power section, quite truthfully. This equals a real breathing, living amp and i think a real step forward from what I have owned int he past with newer amps. refreshing.

I like this new vintage world Rob has brought. wizardry, he must be a demon or something :twisted:

withmittens said:
I think Rob can probably explain the concept to me but based on the previous mods I've had, this one along with the Vybe and hopefully the THD and Ampeg, Which i plan to attain, he seems to have tapped into a way of representing the gain structure of the pres as the relate to the power section, quite truthfully. This equals a real breathing, living amp and i think a real step forward from what I have owned int he past with newer amps. refreshing.

I like this new vintage world Rob has brought. wizardry, he must be a demon or something :twisted:

Ironically, this was a big design initiative or personal challenge I undertook late in 2012. It's been realized in many of the most recent designs and in all those going forward.

I wanted to get outside the box of hyped preamp-based tones we are so used to in the MTS mod world and bring the feel and liveliness of the amp to another level. I am sure there are plenty of players who are comfortable with the compressed and over-saturated tones we are accustomed to. There is certainly a place for that! But anyone that ever played a roaring vintage amp and knows that "sweet spot" where an amp starts to sing and almost play itself will have a great appreciation for the direction I have been taking things in.

It's been very cool doing some of the custom designs like the Ampeg Gemini and THD, as they are both very unique to the MTS platform. I'll be looking at them in the near future along with several other new designs in the works and have quite a bit of inspiring new mods for you all this year.

Thanks again for all of your support!

Rob

This one is very unique and has to be played to really experience it. I'll have some more time after this week and should have clips soon.