Christmas Comes Early... Ho ho HOLY Smokes!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Daddy

Reaction score
Just over a week ago I received an early Christmas present from Santa Rob. What defines Holiday Cheer more than a trio of new modules all wrapped up in a RM100?

My RVerb was the most anticipated and first to be violated. It was everything I expected and MORE! We discussed a few minor tweaks when I ordered it and now that it?s here I have found a whole new level of affection for this killer mod. Just the right amount of very controllable lows, big and friendly just like me :p The mids and highs are perfectly tailored to complement each other in ways few other modules I have heard ever do. I tend to scoop my mids on other modules, but the mids are so obliging on this one that I just let them rip! The gain boost is exceptional. So many ?gain boosts? effect the overall tone that I find myself having to dial the mids and highs in differently when engaged, not with this guy, it just adds heat to an already inspiring tonality. I never saw much use for mid gainers before, but this RVerb has made me rethink that position. The beautiful thing is that it cleans up wonderfully. kick on a neck pickup and I have cleans that rival the coolest clean module. Kick it back to the bridge, crank the volume pot and I am cutting through the mix with authority. For those like me that don?t have a constant need for a clean only module, the RVerb something you should seriously consider. Under normal circumstances, being a metal guy, I don?t think I would have given this module any chance whatsoever. I am SO glad I did? GREAT Module!

Next up was a Blackface Ultra XL. This was a really cool stocker, but the lows were a little unfocused, mids a bit harsh and almost everything, in my opinion anyway, needs more gain. We mapped out a plan and took a shot. We did a base mod, which is actually a lot more than I thought it was. I thought he just swapped out components for the better quality stuff they should be using in the first place and then everything else was ala carte from there. Nope. We spent a few hours, over a few phone calls and emails discussing what I was looking to get out of this module. The gain upgrade, focusing the lows, smoothing out the mids and massaging the highs were all part of the deal. The only thing I had to pay extra for was the mid-sweep, which I really like for most of my modules. What we ended up with was a fire breathing Nu Metal machine! Plenty if thump, great distortion, smoother mids and less abraisive highs. I?m a big fan of this module now. It has its niche for me and I couldn?t be happier!

Last but not least was a Blackface SL+. My partner in crime, LoD21, got a stocker for a doaner and we decided to test drive it for the Hell of it. We were both pleasantly surprised by how good this module sounded stock with the right combination of tubes in V1 and V2. I didn?t want to mess with the mids too much because that?s where the ?Marshall? in this module seemed to be coming from. Had a discussion with Rob and just went for the base mod with minor tweaks and, of course, more gain. I realize it?s a sickness. I know I need help. Well Rob went to work and sprinkled some magic dust on the board and BAM! Zakk Wylde, HELLO!!! When I heard the stocker, it immediately made me think of my hot rodded, Egnater Marshall tones from the 90?s, the tones I wanted in the late 80?s :p I?m recording some material with old friends I played with back then and wanted something more authentic to the time than my supped up Recto, or Mamba SE. I passed on the mid-sweep, because we had a solid handle on those with this module, but had Rob install the JMP/JCM 800 switch from his heralded 59RR Custom. We tweaked the mids ever so slightly, tightened the lows and upped the gain. The only way I can get something more Marshall, is to turn on the Egnater Modified 50 watt JMP or JCM 800 I have in the studio. This covers the OZZY catalog very well, from Randy to Zakk and everything in between! I am considering adding and internal saturation pot, if Rob says it will work on this module. Other than that, the tonality is outstanding. Very satisfied!

Now I just have to wait to hear the Ultra Lead (with added mid-sweep) and D-Zilla I have on order. January can?t come soon enough!!!

Thanks Santa Rob!

Sweet! I can't wait for my christmas, I have 3 stockers I'm going to send in to Rob soon.

I'm glad to hear that the base mods are more than just a couple components. As Rob says, you really are paying for his ear and experience, not just some standard tweaks.

Thanks for sharing, can't wait to hear some clips!

Awesome man, I agree about the RVerb, it was a pleasant surprise for me as well. My donors didn't make it to Rob in time for Xmas, but it will be an awesome January!

Who's Ultra lead with a mid sweep? That would be my precious:)

and yes you do need help, i have been telling you for years.

I'm all thumbs up on that Ultra XL, it sounds like Texas chainsaw massacre in my rig. Super tight with a lot of stomp!

Being a completely close minded individual when it comes to modules and not enough gain, the Rverb truly opened my eyes. I usually dismiss mid gain modules because there just isn't enough gain on tap but my god this thing has all the sweetness of an Egnater modded JMP with the thump of a 100 watt JCM 800 and the focus and crispness of an Orange amp. Very impressed.