choices choices

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zepplin490

Reaction score
I just got a box from rob with an Ultra Lead, an SLOD-100 and a superclean I also own a 59rr custom , an erect and an xtc all from JF.. My next planned purchase is a plexiTweed to kinda round out my module collection.. My issue is what to do with that 2nd donor module that ive got here collecting dust I like the looks and some of the sounds of the D-zilla but i still have questions about how authentic it is, Another one ive been eyeing is the XMG+ as i play mostly metal it sounds like a perfect fit but then theres the Quick Mod which is very appealing too , What should i do guys... any suggestions from anyone with a D-Zilla,XMG+ or quickmod
thanks
-mp-

You should be able to cover a lot of ground with that Ultralead. Quickmod to me was more mid gain. XML was pantera type high gain, dzilla might be more modern metal.as much as I dig the ultra lead I would like to hear it next to the dzilla. Question is what ton exactly are you trying to obtain that you feel you do not currently have.

LoD21 said:
You should be able to cover a lot of ground with that Ultralead. Quickmod to me was more mid gain. XML was pantera type high gain, dzilla might be more modern metal.as much as I dig the ultra lead I would like to hear it next to the dzilla. Question is what ton exactly are you trying to obtain that you feel you do not currently have.
I agree about the Quick Mod being more of a mid gain, Marshall-based distortion. I've got a D-Zilla and Ultra Lead module on order right now from Rob. When they arrive, I can do some good side by side comparisons.

I currently have the Ultra-lead, Mark X & Stein + on order to round off my metal militia. I really don't think you can wrong with any of the JF metal mods. The worst case is you take a chance, order something, don't like it & re-sell it on the classifieds. The JF stuff moves pretty quick on the re-sale market.

I think it depends on what gaps you are looking to fill in your collection. You do have a broader range than most (meaning little overlap), so it's really just a question of what you feel is missing.

- The Quick Mod is going to be the highest gain of the Marshall bunch and most unique as well. I hardly think of this module as a mid-gain module by any standard and that's not it's strong suit IMHO. If you drop tune, this is not my first choice module either.

- The D-Zilla is a great mod and very versatile. It has an open, organic clarity to the midrange that is truly where this mod shines.

- The XMG+ is a unique design and great for modern metal with a broad range of tones for that genre. The switches are all designed to be used in conjunction with each other. To truly appreciate the palate of tones here you need to pay attention to how they interact. It's also whisper quiet with no gating, just a sound original design from the ground up.

I would never recommend dismissing any design based on how "authentic" it is or is not. That's a sure-fire way to miss out on a lot of fantastic tones you might really fall in love with. Remember: these modules have limitations to work within and the first gain stage is ALWAYS in the amp itself. No mod to a module alone is ever going to be 100% authentic (we always strive to do the best job possible of course), but it may certainly kick major a$$!

Happy Holidays and enjoy your new toys,
Rob

Hey Zepp,

If you're a serious metal guy, you might wanna hang on for a few weeks. I have commissioned a Framus Cobra that will be pretty high gain and would be more unique in your collection than some of the other mods you have mentioned.

The Quickmod is definitely high gain and had a very unique voicing to it, but the Ultra Lead sounds like it has more gain, which can be misleading.

The D-Zilla, from what I have been told - in extensive conversation - pretty much nails Tool.

The XMG+ is probably the most versatile metal module in terms of dialing in specific metal tones.

Or you could just send your recto based donor to LoD21, he's collecting them :p LOL

Let us know what you decide :p

H

To echo what Rob said, never dismiss something based on whether or not it truly replicates. Perfect example is my custom JF recto that kills almost any other module on the planet. Oddly enough it doesn't sound like a dual rectifier. I could care less how accurate something is as long as I love it.

Well ive decided i am gonna get the plexitweed and im going to send in my SL+ (1st release DSL/TSL) down for a base mod a tight switch and a mid cut/Boost switch
-mp-

If you've got the '59RR you don't need the SL+.
Stein + would be my recommendation.
I was expecting Dime tones, which it will do, but it will do most metal tones from 80's to 90's with ease. This one doesn't get the credit it deserves.
:twisted:

Well the Hotrodded SL+ idea was to give me a different flavor of marshall but after some side by side testing I am in agreement with you.. I am going for a PlexiTweed and A D-Zilla ive been waiting for the D-zilla for a while now and if it comes even mildly close to a real diezel it will be very much worth the price.. I believe in rob though he has never lead me down the wrong road.
-mp-

LoD21 said:
To echo what Rob said, never dismiss something based on whether or not it truly replicates. Perfect example is my custom JF recto that kills almost any other module on the planet. Oddly enough it doesn't sound like a dual rectifier. I could care less how accurate something is as long as I love it.

+1