JF Brown Sound Module !!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, just found out Rob does the Brahma 39, which is based around the brown sound. I've only heard one demo, and honestly didn't think it represented it well. I think I may go with the 1959RR on this one!

1959rr the best for all things marshall! ive got mine set up for midgain at the moment, but you can come pretty **** close with to the brown sound and with the #39 mod you can get pretty close to AFD era G&R!
-mp-

The Brahma #39 mod is going to be the current closest thing to Brown Sound in the line up. I may do 1-2 new Marshall based mods this year depending on if they are commissioned (this is the fast track to making that happen) or there is enough time and interest. The 59RR Custom is going to be the Marshall swiss army knife in the bunch.

I'm with Rossness.

"brown" is the result of loose filtering and driving the preamp and output stages hard in my opinion. Not sure the Randall amps are designed for this. That is why the plexi does it so well because it is on the verge of being over the top with everything on 10. I recently got my Traynor YBA-1 in the ballpark for that sound but it was unstable and i got blocking distortion which killed the sound as I upped the gain. Someone once said it best that the plexi wide open is almost an unstable circuit but that is where the magic happens. To go brown you'd almost need the module to be a tad woofy and then crank the mids and treble and volume up. Maybe that's why the "Brown" module is often accused of being too bass rich?? I'm not sure it can be done that easily. I think it would be great to hear a side by side well mic'ed shootout between a superlead and the randall plexi just to see how close they are in feel. I think JF would almost have to design a circuit that some would think is not very good to mimmick the feel and sound of a plexi running full pin and that wouldn't be good for business at all..

Caswell is all about the cut!

buriedorburned said:
Ok, just found out Rob does the Brahma 39, which is based around the brown sound. I've only heard one demo, and honestly didn't think it represented it well. I think I may go with the 1959RR on this one!
You'll be much more impressed with this one in person. '59RR is wonderful, but if you want VH tones, the Brahma #39 is the one.

You'll be much more impressed with this one in person. '59RR is wonderful, but if you want VH tones, the Brahma #39 is the one

^Agreed. I have started or have been part of a number of threads searching for the VH brown sound. I had the 59RR Platinum and the tone was almost there, but lacked gain. You will be disappointed with the 59RR custom if the brown sound is your sought-after marshall sound.

The Brahma #39 is the way to go with JF, or the Bully by SacredGroove is another way.

The Quickmod might be another option because the original Quick Rod amp gets pretty close to the early VH sound in gear 1. It's not quite as "brown" and chewy as a 100% plexi, but it's close and high gain like VH requires.

I will be getting the Brahma#39, Quickmod or the Bully soon to post some clips in hopes of chasing this same tone. There seriously needs to be better clips of these modules, preferably playing songs and styles that these modules are meant to be used for.

QuickMod is also wonderful, but is VERY high gain. It kind of starts where the '59RR leaves off. It just doesn't do any low or mid gain tones. It is unmatched at what it does do though.

This guy is probably the only person who got a good sound out of a stock brown : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBJU11gkXBU

Would be sweet for someone to design a variac switch!

Kapo_Polenton said:
Would be sweet for someone to design a variac switch!

A variac is a large variable transformer to regulate AC levels. Hardly something that can be a switch on a preamp! They are about the size of 4 modules stacked on top of each other and 6 times the weight of a module.

Keep in mind the idea of of using a variac was to impact the ENTIRE amp, not just the preamp.

That said, I get the impression I should make a note to design something for you guys soon? :lol:

Jaded Faith said:
That said, I get the impression I should make a note to design something for you guys soon? :lol:

Look, it's real simple. Just design us a module that makes us sound and play like EVH in his prime. :wink:

So, I must ask. Has anyone tried running their amp at 240 volts? Since EVH has finally let the cat out of the bag that he was doing just that and
only that. :lol:
I am glad he finally told the world too. The battles I have seen about the
subject was getting old.

BigBrewtus said:
So, I must ask. Has anyone tried running their amp at 240 volts? Since EVH has finally let the cat out of the bag that he was doing just that and
subject was getting old.

... just another EVH Red Herring? :wink:

only that.

I don't think there was really any misconception from anyone who did their research (like myself :) ) because his amp was analyzed and found to be stock many times. The only thing that changed is that everyone thought he had a 110volt amp with voltage lowered to around 90v or less but actually it was a 220 volt amp with the voltage lowered. It is the same thing, just on a larger scale.

It gives proof that this tone is attainable with everything cranked and the volume attenuated. This is the tone we are all craving on a stock amp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_6Qn0LmeMs

Careful though, i ran my brahma flat out with a hotplate and blew a tube :twisted: ..but i agree voltage and stock amp opened wayyyyyyyyyy up. No other way.

drewiv said:
BigBrewtus said:
So, I must ask. Has anyone tried running their amp at 240 volts? Since EVH has finally let the cat out of the bag that he was doing just that and only that. :lol:
subject was getting old.

I agree. Unless he is on his death bed trying to "cleanse his soul", I wont buy any BS he is spewing about his tone from the early days.

What's ridiculous is why does it matter to these guys... especially now:? The multitude of stories we get from Ed & his camp, Warren claiming a Super Champ in a YouTube vid. Let's be honest it was a golden era in guitar tone. It was the players, the guitars, the amps (& mods to them), the recording methods/techniques, & the production on those recordings. Man to be able to go back to those days. Good times to be a guitar player.

drewiv said:
BigBrewtus said:
subject was getting old.

Hahahaha. Okay so it was 220 volts. I think that is right about the way
it was recorded though. I never thought his tone was all too special but
his playing was and put a stamp on what could be done. I appreciate the
cab resonance in the early stuff more than anything. It all tells us to just
keep it simple. :wink: