Rob's recomendation for a single 12" speaker in the RM5

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

withmittens

Reaction score
Hi Rob, I thought I would ask you since you probably deal with many configurations of the combo. I am searching for the perfect speaker. I much prefer my 2 x 12 cab but need a great "3D" type sound in the combo. a very present and layered sound without Celestion icepick mods and fizzy highs, something that is resonant, and not stiff.

I've asked in another area here and i agree with the posters there that a single 12" isn't going to deliver what i want, but maybe you have found a great speaker that you like with your mods...I'm not a super high gain guy, mostly drive and crunch sounds, some pushed cleans.

any suggestions would be very welcomed. i guess the word i could use to describe it is "rich harmonic content", if that makes sense.

my next thing to do is ditch this POD HD500 and get the Vybe and HW103 mods. the other one I have is a Matchvox and may get the 59RR in the future. the speaker thing is killing me, maybe I should just bite it and get the Fane

anyway, thank you much for any opinion you may want to contribute

When it comes to combo amps in general, the Celestion Classic Lead 80 or any of it's derivatives tend to be the most consistent performer. That speakers design parameters cause it to lend itself quite favorably in any open or partially open design. There have been very few situations where a customer with a combo (MTS or otherwise) didn't agree with those findings after installing one in the shop for them.

We used a pair of combos (courtesy of Jace here) in our LA Amp Show booth with great results. I know one had 6L6's with the stock T75 and the other had EL34's with a WGS Vintage 30 clone. Both were really good. Not as broadly ideal as the CL80's, but they both had their shining module pairings.

I love EVM12's in my shop rig with a 1/3 open back self-built cab.

Hope that helps!
Rob

Rob,

Just out of curiosity, have you ever tried a Scumback?

drewiv said:
Rob,

Just out of curiosity, have you ever tried a Scumback?

Drew,
I am actually good friends with Jim and have several of his speakers here. My experience is all with the M75's and H75's. I have either loved or hated them, but it recently occurred to me that those experiences are always related to the cabs I installed them in. Sealed cabs have always worked very well with both models, but open and ported cabs cause a terrible rasp in the mids that I can't stand. I want to load a 1960A with them to try them as intended.
Overall, love the speakers, love the owner, mixed results in my experience thus far. I think they may just be application specific, which is fine. Because when they are good, they are REALLY good!
Hope that helps,
Rob

I tried a J75 and did not think it very good. It was less spikey and fizzy than a V30 but only by a bit. It lacked the open character i was looking for and sounded flat. The H75 in videos sound much better and I wonder what it would sound like with a large dust cap. although I am believing a celestion copy is not what I am looking for. They sound fine on records but live in my combo, not to me

I'm just one guy but imho the V30 or a warehouse clone of it..is an excellent speaker for all Rock work.
I tried the Celestion 75 watters that some love..but the high end was way to much. (GT-75...I feel)
I have gone to a speaker demo and heard the eminence line (Red Coat, Swamp thang, etc etc)..Im sorry to say none of them impressed me.
Alot alludes me because it seems no place has a good A/B comparison..but imho..the V30 is the standard.
never liked the Celestion seventy 80 ....seemd very 2D, non-dimensional.
Maybe Im just nutz...
GtrGeorge

I have been VERY happy with the Celestion (Mesa-branded) MC90 that I installed in my Studio .22 combo earlier this year. I use that combo to amplify my MTS stuff in my apartment. As I understand it, that speaker is just a tweaked version of the Classic Lead 80. It sounds full and balanced with no particular frequency spike, but richness across the spectrum.

George: The V30 is certainly a standard, as is the T75. I personally just can't ever get along with either in a combo. The 1960A I have with a pair of each in an X-pattern is the best sounding cab I have ever owned though. Do not confuse the Seventy 80 with the Classic Lead 80, not even a little bit the same. The Seventy 80 is a cheap speaker manufactured for OEM purposes and probably one of the most ratty sounding speakers I have ever heard.

Whoopysnorp: I also have a stash of MC-90's here and as you mentioned they are tweaked CL80's. They (meaning the CL80 or any derivative) are the best combo speaker I have tried on a consistent basis. I have a lot of customers who have them installed locally in various open-back combos and are over the moon. I know Bruce and Trace also share those sentiments.

I had two Mesa open-back 1x12s when I got my RM50. Blew one of the stock Black Shadow C90s using a Sound City on a session, so I bought a WGS Veteran 30 to try in it's place. I dug using it in combination with the other C90 loaded cab.
WGS recommended combining the Veteran 30 with their ET65, so I ordered one to give it a shot. Good combo with the Vet 30 cab, but I noticed the ET65 in the open back cab had a real 3D sound all by itself. Easily my favorite in an open back of those three drivers.
Then I ordered a Randall closed-back 1x12 loaded with a Celestion Greenback. Loose bottom, not great. I tried swapping it with my favorite so far, the ET65, and again not great. It seemed the high end reflecting off the back of the cab and back through the driver got harsher than the open-back.
Next I ordered a Randall CB412-75 to give Celestion G12T-75s a go. Good chunk, mid-scooped, bright highs. Pulled the upper left driver and swapped in the Veteran 30. There's that mid-range bite back that was missing. Pulled the lower right driver and swapped in the Greenback, less aggressive, easier break-up option.
Tried the G12T-75 in the open-back and that controlled bottom was gone leaving just a really bright top.
That's been my RM50 speaker journey so far. The WGS ET65 in an open-back 1x12 has great bottom-end and the high-end is sweet. The closed-back 4x12 sounds tight with G12T-75s in an X-pattern with either Veteran 30s or Greenbacks providing the snarl.

I use The eminence delta pro12 in my RM50. It is heavy but it has extended bass response and smooth flat highs "no upper mid range peak", and can handle anything your amp can through at it.

Just my 2 cents, but Ive been running an eminence texas heat with both my rm20 and mesa lonestar and it sounds fantastic. Very big and full. Had good luck with a weber blue dog as well. Not quite as full as the texas heat though.

I am going to order the WGS version of the BL 80 for my rm50C. Last year, I put in a retro 30. I like the retro 30 (similar theme to the vintage 30), but by itself seems to be mid heavy in the combo alone.

I know that X pattern of the Vintage 30 with the G12T-75 sound good. I and wondering If the Retro and the G12T-75 will pair well in a 2x12 cab or how all 3 will pair up (Combo with the BL80 + 2X12 extension cab with retro and the G12-75)?

I have a 2 x 12 extension cab. It came with the Celestion Anniversary which is a higher watt greenback type, darker sound. It also had a V30 in it. I put the V30 in the RM50 combo and thought too that the mids were way too much. I put the orig G12T75 in with the Anniversary and it sounds pretty good. The G12T by itself was harsh and brittle.