Soapbar guitar

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBrewtus

Reaction score
So I am thinking sometime before the end of the year to pick up an electric guitar with soapbar or P90 pickups in it. I have only played a couple but I like the sound an feel and want something to sound different then my '02 Tremonti PRS and my '08 USA Strat.
I did try a first version of Gibson's Tribute Les Paul. Well two of the first ones. A black and a honey burst. Thought they played just fine and sounded cool. I played some of my own tunes on them and it just fit. I kinda like the idea of a no frills LP jr with just a bridge pup but would prefer an adjustable wrap around bridge as opposed to a non adjust.
I do love PRS guitars too so many of those spark an interest. Even their affordable SE version has been in my thoughts but I want something that isnt going to get a warped neck after a couple years.
So what do you guys/girls think is a good buy in this style?

Hey there,
Not sure how much you're wanting to spend or what style of music you play.
Just looking over your amps and modules, it's looks like you're a heavy rocker (like me and I'm a PRS lover too).
My 2 cents;
Maybe a PRS Swamp Ash Special?
You could get an LP jr and install a Tone Pros AVT2 wraparound bridge.
image_zpsc1223a36.jpg

Personally I've been looking at the Gibson Les Paul double cutaway. It seems guys love'm or hate'm. They remind me of PRS's
image_zps0928bac0.jpg

I've heard nothing but good things from the LP "purists". And since they didn't sell very well and now discontinued, you can get them at a pretty good price. They come standard with the 490R & 490T PU's (i think) but you can install soaps, P90's or the Seymour Duncan P-Rails.
image_zpscb8ccf5d.jpg

Ty Tabor swears by the P-Rails, lots of different tones.

Lots of choices and dare I say, maybe build your own? I'm no luthier by any stretch of the imagination and never took any woodworking classes or even touched a router before and now I've got six guitars I'm building. I'm not trying to start a company or a business, I'm just showing that a "Joe plumer" can build a quality instrument right out of his garage. Everything I learned about guitar building was straight off of YouTube videos. I've got about $500 in this guitar that I call my "PRS 245L" (the L stands for Liar). I've still got a little more work to do on her but she's getting close.
IMAG0113.jpg

Best of luck on your search,
Hope my rambling helped some.
Bill

Buzzedd
You are talking my language!! :twisted: I would love a Swamp Ash PRS. Something bright and nasty. Love the idea of the Tonepros replacement bridge on the LP jr too. I have even thought that I could drill one and make it a neck through or adding a trapeze tail piece. Love your SC Liar!! Looks great! Been eye balling SG jrs too. Jake E. Lee says his white one is his fav guitar and used it for a ton of recordings. As you can see I am having a blast thinking about it. :lol: Thanks for fueling the frenzy.

I like having a p90 option or two around... And am a fan of the p-rails for versatility. I was warned off the hotter p-rail option and am glad the gtr I went with the regular ones, as they slam the input pretty hard.

If you haven't played a p90 yet, you should. It's pretty different from hums and reg single coils. Bold and full in a way you can't get with non p90's.

I put a P-Rail with a Triple Shot mount in the bridge of my '79 SG. If you try the P-Rail, definitely use a Triple Shot mount. It's super simple to install and switching from single coil to P90 to parallel HB to series HB is cake and silent.

I have seen the P-Rails. Seemed like a very cool consept. A friend tried them and wasnt all impressed. He thought the P side was good but the single side was a bit thin and the hum side was a bit bland on character. I think I would still give them a try one day even though I am not a big fan of many SDuncans. The Ps Ive tried were very cool and alive. Like mentioned nothing quite like you get from normal singles or hums. I like the raw over wound sound. I am favoring a guitar with a brighter tone wood as well. Love to have an Ash, Korina or Maple bodies.

No problem BigB, happy to help.
as you can probably tell, I eat, sleep and breathe guitars, amps.

If my memory is correct, I think PRS made a Swamp Ash Special with P90's. Yep, found one.
prssoapbar_zps62dd839a.jpg

If you're want'n a Swamp Ash Special and P90's, here's your ticket.
PRS also makes Singlecut and Custom 22's with P90's as well.

Ty Tabor from King's X swears by the P-Rails. I've always been a big fan of his. He plays Guildford guitars nowdays.
Ty1_zps380cc065.jpg

This is a Guilford "Crown", I know it looks just like a Santana but I still think it's pretty cool.
CrownMoonDust_zpsc0700967.jpg

Latest posts