Getting a good tone out of Randall Isolation Cab.

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hypeboom

Reaction score
Hello guys,

It's really hard to get or share an info about Randall Isolation Cab.
Anybody using one?
I own one and have been trying to get a good tone out of it but man..
It just doesn't give me !!
I'm not a newbie to recording world but it's really hard to get a good tone out of it.
I use 57 and 906, and wherever I place them around the speaker, what I get is just BOOMY, very reflective sound.
I guess it's just becuase of the fact that it's small closed box, so the sound reflects the wall like crazy...correct me if I'm wrong..
And most importantly, it is not quiet!! still LOUD, impossible to use it at night.
I feel like I need another Iso.Cab for my Randall Iso Cab.

Any feedback will be appreciated.
Thanks a lot.

:idea: Do you use anything to dampen the sound at all? When we do all of our recording we use house hold objects to get rid of all the reflections. Pillows and Duvets mainly.....

Well, yeah I've set 3" auralex inside the box.
But not helping..Since it's a closed box, not sure what to do..
Could u give me some detail ideas??
Thanks a lot!

I have one and what I've done is nothing revolutionary, but here it is:
-added 2" auralex on all sides of internal chamber (where the speaker and mic are)

-built a basic platform on casters with 3/4" plywood and 4 casters from home depot (about $10)

-between the caster platform and the iso cab, I put a 1" thick piece of some white, semi-rigid packing material to, hopefully, further decouple the cab from the floor.

I'm about to do some serious recording and will know the results better when it comes mix time, but the test tracks I recorded were very good I thought.

Note: I'm combining the iso cab track with a miced 4x12 cab running an Engl 570-Randall Rt2/50 to the 4x12 and an Egnater M4-Randall Rt2/50 to the iso cab. I'm not using any room ambience mic on the 4x12. Just a 57 on one speaker and a 421 on the other.

If I had another iso cab, I have no doubt I could get good results w/o the 4x12.

I've been checking out the e906 myself, but haven't heard one yet. It may sound great on cabs, but may not be the best for an iso cab. That's just a thought. If you have access to a Sennheiser 421, a 57 or sm7, an Audix i5, or an EV ND468, you may try those and see if they hide the "box" sound better.

Another note: I'm using one side of the Randall pwr amp for the iso cab. The amp is only 50w per side and I have the output set at about 50%. I'm not putting deafening levels to the iso cab so maybe try a lower overall volume level. Just get the speaker moving a little and see if you like the results.

I hope this helps.

I have one and what I've done is nothing revolutionary, but here it is:
-added 2" auralex on all sides of internal chamber (where the speaker and mic are)

-built a basic platform on casters with 3/4" plywood and 4 casters from home depot (about $10)

-between the caster platform and the iso cab, I put a 1" thick piece of some white, semi-rigid packing material to, hopefully, further decouple the cab from the floor.

I'm about to do some serious recording and will know the results better when it comes mix time, but the test tracks I recorded were very good I thought.

Note: I'm combining the iso cab track with a miced 4x12 cab running an Engl 570-Randall Rt2/50 to the 4x12 and an Egnater M4-Randall Rt2/50 to the iso cab. I'm not using any room ambience mic on the 4x12. Just a 57 on one speaker and a 421 on the other.

If I had another iso cab, I have no doubt I could get good results w/o the 4x12.

I've been checking out the e906 myself, but haven't heard one yet. It may sound great on cabs, but may not be the best for an iso cab. That's just a thought. If you have access to a Sennheiser 421, a 57 or sm7, an Audix i5, or an EV ND468, you may try those and see if they hide the "box" sound better.

Another note: I'm using one side of the Randall pwr amp for the iso cab. The amp is only 50w per side and I have the output set at about 50%. I'm not putting deafening levels to the iso cab so maybe try a lower overall volume level. Just get the speaker moving a little and see if you like the results.

I hope this helps.