JF built me an Ampeg Gemini II module! It's Great!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Steve

Reaction score
I did a custom order with Rob. He built me a module to sound like one of my favorite amps, the Ampeg Gemini II. I got to spend some real time with it and it sounds fantastic. It really does capture the sound of the original amp. (I did a side by side comparison with my original 1965 Gemini.)

The original amp only gets over-driven when it is fairly loud. This module has an overdrive/boost switch that allows me to capture the over-driven stuff at a lot of different volume levels. The overdrive is just right and there is plenty of it. It easily gets you into the Rolling Stones, and Faces sorta over-driven tones that I love. Thanks for doing this for me. GREAT JOB.

I am glad I trusted Rob to pull this off for me. He certainly captured the tone and feel of the old Ampeg on this one.

Rob is an engineering genius. I have never doubted his abilities since I got a mark X back in the day before his full production line has been out.
That module went through a revision and its been my favorite before and after. but that may change when the Framus mod comes back to me.

Oregon said:
What's t look,like ? Does it have that cool diamond checker?
We didn't do a custom plate on this one. I just used an old Egnater single module plate with the little white box in the left lower corner. It was a VERY cool module and took a while to get it just right. Glad you're enjoying it Steve!

Rob

This one sounds awesome. I have a Superrocket that is awesome, but not reliable at all. One of these Ampeg modules sounds killer. I'd love to hear clips.

I'd love an Ampeg module! Perhaps one with an added "Comes Alive" setting ala Peter Frampton's Ampeg??!! Which he used on leads! [/url]

Jaded Faith said:
Oregon said:
What's t look,like ? Does it have that cool diamond checker?
We didn't do a custom plate on this one. I just used an old Egnater single module plate with the little white box in the left lower corner. It was a VERY cool module and took a while to get it just right. Glad you're enjoying it Steve!

Rob
Rob, are you going to offer this as a regular mod or is this a one-time thing?

I would be more interested in it if there was a nice faceplate and soundclips etc. Not really sure what to expect but it sounds intriguing.

Care to record some clips? I can't decide if I should get one of these or a Vybe.

What would be really awesome is if there was a way to incorporate the tremolo in the amp as well..

I will try to get you some clips. Below is a clip of my Vybe Deluxe in a blues context through the RM20. It sounds pretty good. It sounds better through the RM50. The bigger bottle tubes in the RM 50 (either 6L6 or 5881)just sound more appropriate to the tones of the original amp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUa3W-83gSo

Thanks guys. The Vybe Deluxe module is great and it does sound very good with the RM 20, but trust me, it even sounds better with the RM 50. :D

The RM20 is really easy to carry thought. That particular gig has a really bad load in. So I had to opt for the small amp. It is a bit too loud on the clip as well. The amp was face sideways right directly into the direction of the camera. The mix was better in the room. You could actually hear the singer. :lol:

Your singer has some pretty good chops as well! Nice to see though. you guys play well together and have a good blues look. Always important and forgotten in my opinion, is the look and feel of the band vs a bunch of dudes up there in sandles playing tunes. Were you mic'ed or just cranked?

Kapo_Polenton said:
Your singer has some pretty good chops as well! Nice to see though. you guys play well together and have a good blues look. Always important and forgotten in my opinion, is the look and feel of the band vs a bunch of dudes up there in sandles playing tunes. Were you mic'ed or just cranked?

No, just the amps. We don't play all that loud. We started putting everything through the PA but discovered on these small club gigs, we can usually get a better mix by just putting the vocals in the PA. Unfortunately the guy taking the video was pointing the camera right at my amp and the PA speakers with the vocals were high up on the wall of the club. It was a house PA. So that is why I sound too loud in the video mix. It sounded great in the club.

Ulf said:
How close is that Ampeg module to the V4?

Not very close, but it can get into that ballpark if you will. It was designed to be a Gemini II from the mid 60's. So it is earlier than the V4. The Gemini was designed to be a cleaner jazz amp.