Recomendation for Newbie

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitar@home

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to mts and I have a lynch Box head with stock Mr. scary, (Black stripe Clean, Plexi, SL+) and I just got a 59RR from mattfig. I was happy with the stock modules until I got the 59RR. I am mostly looking for Gary Moore type tones. I think I will keep the clean and Plexi, but clearly I need to send them in to JF to refine them a little so they don't sound bad next to the 59RR. Being new to this world I don't really know what to ask for from JF. I guess my wish list would be more dynamics from the Plexi with no need for more gain and only slightly tighter bass. Clean would have a little more headroom and slightly more dynamics. I loved the MR. scary but next to the 59RR I no longer need it or the SL+.

Take 5 minutes and give Rob a call, he is good at understanding things like "this tone from this recording"....or "less midrangey with more sparkle" :lol:

He'll hook you up with exactly what you're looking for.

I'm not that familiar with the tone you're after, but post a couple of links to youtube clips that demonstrate it, and I'm sure we can all help you out.

Just a "base mod" is all you need to get those up to snuff.
Here's a link to the mods available:
http://www.jadedfaithmods.com/Ala__Carte_Mods.html

Thanks Guys! I will just have to get these modules in the hands of JF for some base mods. I definitely want to send my business and support the company that produced the 59RR.

I just sent an email to Rob saying most of the stuff I am about to say and wanted to also say it publicly, especially to the newbie.
I have a couple of donor modules soon on the way to Rob and will talk to him soon about modding them. I play a bunch of different styles and his mods cover everything I could ever dream of. I am doing this Petty Tribute which has me using his VoxLess, Tweed and Vybe Deluxe. Then I have an upcoming funk gig with Cyril Neville and I get to use the Dumble OD, SuperClean and probably the 59RR for solos. I agree with whomever said that all you have to do is call Rob and explain what you want. I have had him totally change the Randall modules into his stuff, but on a couple of occasions I have had him do the base mod. If you say this or that module is to honky in the mids, he gets it and not just from a tech standpoint. He is a musician with a musicians ears. Two years ago I was pretty happy with the stock modules as they were good enough. Now they are not good enough as I know that they can get a lot better with any tweak I can want at JF.
Thanks Rob!

Thanks ricky! Well said. It looks like I am on my way, but I think I May be in trouble. Now that I have had a taste of modded modules I want more. I can see spending a lot of money. I kinda wish I could go back to being happy with the stock modules, and to make things worse I am now experimenting with different tubes. I ordered a JAN5751 for the PI it will be here tomorrow. I can't wait to give it a try.

Thanks for the kind words gents, always happy to help in any way possible. As several of the guys mentioned already, I am always just an email or a call away. Let me know what it is you're looking for and if it's possible, I'll make it happen. Trust me, I get some far out requests every week!

One other thing that shouldn't be overlooked is that you can always go with an ala carte base mod if you don't need all the cosmetics and switches (which can all be added if you desire). In that situation, we chat about what you want from a module and for $100 I get you there. You get all the same quality and work personalized for your needs at a great price. It's often overlooked but hard to beat as far as value.

guitar@home said:
I ordered a JAN5751 for the PI it will be here tomorrow. I can't wait to give it a try.

This is a great tone improvement IMHO.

I have 5 JAN5751's on hand at the moment. One always stays in the PI and on occasion, I will put one into the V1 spot of the amp or module also. Works great with most mods but a few have sounded a little too starved for signal with two 5751's in the path.

First it's the mods... Then it's the tubes... It's a vicious cycle that we all gladly subject ourselves to.
Welcome to the world of MTS
-Dan

guitar@home said:
Now that I have had a taste of modded modules I want more. I kinda wish I could go back to being happy with the stock modules,

I started out with an RM4 and four stock modules. I now have one stock that I left alone and fourteen modded ones, plus three stock donors just waiting for Rob's magic. As Rob said, do not underestimate his base mods. He did incredible things to a stock tweed, plus you can order a cool face plate for them if you want. When I think of the money I spent for ten mods, I have to also think about how for the price of one great amp ($2k) I would have ten great amps. Also, the chances of me ever getting a Dumble were pretty slim but I now own something I like as much. Having a RockerVerb tone was something I could never justify paying $2k for as I would only use that tone a few times in a year. Now I have it when I need it. I gave up heroin for MTS.

I got the JAN5751 for PI today and that was totally worth the 40 bucks I spent for it. Dang... now I need to buy another one to try in my modules.

guitar@home said:
I got the JAN5751 for PI today and that was totally worth the 40 bucks I spent for it. Dang... now I need to buy another one to try in my modules.
I agree completely and use that very tube in the PI slot of all my MTS amps. One of the best upgrades out there for the money.