Vybe Deluxe and SRV

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zepplin490

Reaction score
Well I am looking to get that absolutely killer tone from the "Texas Flood" album im getting a strat in a few days and according to Rob (whos opinions and suggestions i favor above all others) the Vybe Deluxe will get me there has any of you vybe owners tried to pull out some stevie ray tones out of the mod? I love the tones that i have heard from the clips that are out there but i have only heard one SRV song and that was just the intro to "Pride and Joy"...
So guys will this get me my fix?
-mp-

I play with GHS TnT boomers which have the Low e, the a and the d out of a set of 11's and the G,b, high e out of a set of 10's killer strings i use them on all of my axes but i have never run them on a strat should be an interesting experiment.. a couple of my foolish guitar playing buddies are saying "for blues you cant use anything heavier than a set of 9's cuz anything heavier and its too hard to bend the strings" Its pure BS i can bend the tnt boomers just fine and i personally think that you get better tone with heavier strings!
-mp-

I have not used a Strat on my Vybe. But I have used it on some SRV songs with my dad and we both loved the sound.
I'm building a strat right now but issues with the neck are putting it on the back burner. My just go custom warmoth. I think a strat will be great with the Vybe Deluxe.

I have alot of Robs Mods and the Vybe is in the top 3 for me!!!!!! :D

I purposely try to stay away from the SRV sound. I am a traditional blues guy and I don't want to draw any comparisons to SRV. Having said that, yeah, the Vybe Deluxe can get you there. The Vybe setting with an overdrive pushing it would probably be the best. The Vybe gets the huge fat clean tone that SRV is famous for. If you are into blues, the Vybe Deluxe is a must own module.

I have always been into blues since i was 16 and my guitar teacher pushed me into learning "Pride and Joy" rather than the metallica thrashterpiece "Creeping Death". I am very grateful to him for getting some great music incorporated into my playing, Just really got back into playing blues again when i got my JF PlexiTweed... Im gonna give the Vybe Deluxe a try!
thanks guys
-mp-

zepplin490 said:
I have always been into blues since i was 16 and my guitar teacher pushed me into learning "Pride and Joy" rather than the metallica thrashterpiece "Creeping Death". I am very grateful to him for getting some great music incorporated into my playing, Just really got back into playing blues again when i got my JF PlexiTweed... Im gonna give the Vybe Deluxe a try!
thanks guys
-mp-

Yeah, it will be a great module for you. I have been thinking about the Plexi Tweed myself. I just sold my JF59 because it was just too much gain except when it was on its lowest settings. So I am thinking the Plexi Tweed might just be perfect.

The PlexiTweed has completely turned around my playing and musical interests since i got it. Way more into blue and classic rock than ever in my life just from that one module its amazing!
-mp-

They Vybe is really close to Stevie's favorite. It will def get you there. A tip: 6L6's in your power amp and also use a tube screamer up front. That is what he did. If you want to cop his live sound, get five Vybes and run them together. Also the 15's will help a lot. I love my OD Special, but really can't see it for a stevie tone.

Rob's ODS is a must own for anyone into mts!!! It's a very unique module that just sings with natural tubey & smooth sustain tones. I find it better than the traditional Fender stuff,(which i use & love also!).

I have the ODS as well. It is a great module and you should own it. But it gets a more modern sound. Stevie is firmly planted in the 60's tones. The Vybe Deluxe will get you much closer.

Im gonna order a Vybe Deluxe in a few days ... using one of my few donors left.. I tried to cop a somewhat SRV type of tone with the PlexiTweed but it just seems a little darker than what im used to in SRV's recordings, From what ive heard the Vybe will crank out those Clean Yet Gainy Texas blues tone very well cant wait... Getting this one and probably a Voxless too ive got many gainers and not nearly enough clean and slightly over driven tones... thats about to change... So has anyone tried a vybe through a EL84 power amp? ive got 6L6's in my rm100 but EL84's in my peavey classic 50/50 that my rm4 runs through .. the peavey seems to bring out the best tones with low and mid gain modules at least so far...
-mp-

I have an RM50 and a RM20. The Vybe Deluxe sounds good with both. I think it is better with the RM 50 though. I talked to Rob and he said it swaps more about how the RM 20's gain stages work rather than the tube differences. I think the VD is still one, if not the best, sounding modules in my RM20.

I am continually amazed with the Vybe. It has a juicy tone I have only heard in amps I have not been able to have. It does flat out clean with lushness, warm overdrive perfect for alt country and all out rock tones. goes great with pedals and super quiet. It's a real treat. better than many fender amps I've played. I have no idea how such little caps and resistors can yield such good tone. Hell, even pushed all the way sounds good, like a raunchy old deluxe

also, I've put yelly jackets in my RM50 so I could run EL84 tubes. Bright, and responsive with the Vybe. use the density knob and a mild overdrive or boost pedal. great tone

I fully agree and this has come up in several phone conversations over the past week while discussing future orders with several customers. The Vybe continually impresses everyone that tries it and I still get a warm and fuzzy feeling every time I build one. That's a good sign! :lol: