JF GrailTone .....

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayDA

Reaction score
Come on Rob....DETAILS!!!

524809_601316083216143_328199424_n.jpg

Details and a quick iPhone video right after a lunch break....this thing is so off the charts I either needed a cigarette or to refuel. Since I don't smoke, lunch it is.

If anyone has DI guitar EVH-style tracks for reamping, email them ASAP.

I wish I had a DI to record some wav files for ya, but I think if you just played some easy stuff that will do just fine!

If anyone has DI guitar EVH-style tracks for reamping, email them ASAP.

Play this:

Ain't talkin about love intro
You really got me
Everybody wants some intro
Random tapping ala eruption
Pinch Harmonics

and.....Hot for Teacher solo note for note
:lol:

I can try to DI into my presonus and send you files. Are you going to use impulses or mic a cab? Mic'ing a cab will do these justice. I actually have some time tonight. Let me walk my dog and then dig in. I will PM you.

Off the bat I can do the following:

You Really Got me
Some rip off eruption tapping
ai'nt talking about love
panama
somebody call me a doctor
Unchained

I feel so confused as to what this really is...

I'll let JF explain the details and the reasons behind them, but this mod was a custom order for myself that will be made into a production module.

It is a high gain, vintage plexi flavored marshall tone based on the "grail tone" of the VHII album. It has a new "variac" switch that lowers the voltage for a more squishy feeling. Plus, it has two gain knobs that act like having two inputs that play off each other like a jumper between two inputs like on the old master volume marshalls.

Let's just say he told me his hair raised when he played it and knew he got it right :)

This module will be awesome. Any more questions?

Very intriguing! Congrats on the mod. I think it would be cool to see where it falls on the JF Tone Chart. How will the level of gain compare to the other Marshall flavored modules like the 59RR, 59RR Custom, Plexi, Rverb, SL+, Scary, Brahma (39), etc...?

How will the level of gain compare to the other Marshall flavored modules like the 59RR, 59RR Custom, Plexi, Rverb, SL+, Scary, Brahma (39), etc...?

Not having it in my hands yet I can't say for sure, but tonewise it seems it would be near the Brahma #39, somewhere in the middle, maybe a little more harmonically rich but comparable.

Gain-wise it is supposed to be around the 3rd gain stage as seen in the 2/3 switch on the 59RR custom and #39 mod.

Not ultra gain, but certainly high :D

Got a decent DI track done.. just haven't used Reaper in ages and can't remember how to export the effin thing.. I'll get it to him shortly. Dog was jumping on me the whole time i was trying to play so where the picking gets weak or muted it is because my 80+ pound 11 month giant schnauzer was jumping on my fretboard..

Guys, i have a compressed 6 minute or so DI track that is down to 35mb but 25 is the limit to append to emails. Anyone have any tips? Usually I convert to mp3 so it is a synch but here we are talking wav..

Go to Soundcloud dot com and create an account. It's a great way to share your music with other musicians and fans. You could upload the file there and then Rob can download it. Or use some other free file sharing site.

This is me
https://soundcloud.com/#geetarzan

Thanks for the info.. I just created an account and uploaded my DI there. I would post the link here but the song selection should be a surprise. It also sounds like crapola just listening to DI.

Sorry for the delay on chiming in, I had to head to a studio session at 4PM yesterday and ran out of time.

The new mod is called the Grail Tone. It aims directly for the coveted "Brown Sound" made famous on the early Van Halen albums. It is the very first mod ever built in our shop with this specific goal in mind. Most of the features are all-new and were developed specifically for this mod. There is nothing like it within our product line.

It was based on studies of a 1971 Marshall Super Bass we recently serviced (it was as mint as they come, photos are on our Facebook site), loads of research on the history of the EVH Plexi, countless hours listening to early VH albums (a tall order for a Hagar guy who can't stand DLR) and some candid discussions with the North American Sales Manager for Celestion (who has spent many hours with Eddie at his home and with the amp of lore).

The features are as follows:

- Loudness 1 & 2
These knobs are dual gain/volume knobs and behave exactly the same as the pair on the original Marshall when the inputs are jumpered. Loudness 1 is the High Treble side of a Plexi, while Loudness 2 is the Normal side. You can mix and match them for a huge blend of tones.

- Eruption
This changes the input impedance on the Loudness 1 channel. It's the same effect as plugging into the high or low sensitivity inputs.

- Presence
This is all-new and designed specifically for this mod. The circuit was fine tuned to provide the most musical Presence effect possible and is a new twist on the version found in several of our other offerings.

- Tone Stack
Classic Marshall with a slight twist. The midrange is what the EVH sound is all about and this mod does it like no other.

- Variac
A highly-requested option for years, this switch has the same impact on the High Voltage power supply as running a Variac set at 90V. It's a subtle feel thing as opposed to a tonal shift (it's only dropping the preamp voltage, not the entire amplifier), but it's a big part of EVH lore.

Tonally, it can range from open to compressed based on the Loudness blend and the Variac switch setting. Gain-wise it allows for amounts between the 59RR Custom and Quick Mod, with lots of room to clean up as well. There is a lot of range to this one.

The first one shipped yesterday and they are priced at $225. Sound clips will be posted today.

I'm a huge fan of EVH, dual gain knobs and versatility. This may be the most exciting Jaded Faith mod yet! For me, it certainly is. :)

Rob told me I have too many Marshall based modules when I wanted to order a Brahma #39. I wonder if he'll sell me one of these. :D