What's the difference in all the Marshall-based mods?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaded Faith

Reaction score
One of the most frequent questions asked of us is regarding the differences between all the Marshall-based mods in our product line. Here are some generalizations to help understand each:

1: 59RR Custom
This is the "everything Marshall in one" solution. This module was originally based off of a 1959RR Signature Head that we modified heavily to provide a huge range of Marshall tones. It provides two levels of gain, the ability to add a gain stage, two different tone stacks and the Haze option to smooth it out. This one covers a lot of ground very well.

2: Brahma #39
This is our take on the famous California Hot-Rodded Marshall tones made famous in the 80's. The inspiration came from the infamous SIR #39 amp and many of the early modified Marshall tones. It does one thing and does it very well: raw, powerful Marshall roar.

3: PlexiTweed
This is a nod to early JTM45 and Fender Bassman tones (two takes on a similar design). You get a lower gain flavor (with plenty on tap) with a thicker classic vibe to it. A great choice for classic rock and it pairs really well with Strats.

4: Quick Mod GT
This is the highest of the high gain Marshall flavors. It's all about different gain configurations and feels. The OD1/2 and Gears switch allow for 6 different levels of gain from mean to scream. The GT designation as of 3/8/13 indicates a revision similar to those made to the actual Quick Rods recently, providing a tighter, stiffer feel with a more friendly EQ.

5: Grail Tone
The first effort aimed specifically at duplicating to sounds of EVH. It was the first mod to feature dual Gain pots to give the same effect as a Plexi with jumpered inputs (allowing the player to blend a thicker and a brighter gain to taste). A unique Variac feature drops the voltage in the module exactly the same way a Variac set to 90V would.

6: Silverado
This all-new module is a replica of the Silver Jubilee amps, which were the first true departure from the traditional Marshall designs. It features the Rhythm Clip and Lead Master circuits from the original, providing two all-new forms of Diode Clipping circuits. The two "channels" (although many thought of the Jubilee as a to channel amp, it really was a single channel design) can be blended to taste, just like the original. A very unique Marshall flavor.

That's very helpful and makes me want more Marshall based modules.

Drew, I'm pretty sure a light breeze would make you want more Marshall-based modules.

Whoopysnorp said:
Drew, I'm pretty sure a light breeze would make you want more Marshall-based modules.

LOL, yeah, probably. In my defense, ATM I only have one of the modules listed above.

Love to see these Rob. The more details the better... any chance the JF tone chart will get another update? :)

Jacksauce said:
Love to see these Rob. The more details the better... any chance the JF tone chart will get another update? :)
It certainly will, I just want to have a group to add before paying the money to have it done.

you should have the tone chart made up as a metal board in your office. Then as you create a new mod, a matching magnet is made. Then you can place the magnet on the magnetic tone chart, take a photo, and upload it. Easy updates!

;) :lol:

Draw it on a big 4*8 dry erase board, buy a roll of strip magnets for 20 bucks, glue magnets to backside of spare faceplates, stick em on board in appropriate position.. and viola! Eazy peazy!!