Quickmod GT Users

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattfig

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just got one of these mods and was really excited to try it next to the Camerock...

Anyway, despite multiple tube changes, it remains noisy and thin in every MTS amp here..Any ideas? I emailed Rob and am sure he'll get me a quick response but I wanted to post here too in case anyone else has run into this...Something must be wrong somewhere...Hopefully something simple although with all the black goop it's hard to tell what is going on...

Thanks,
Fig

Sounds like something is wrong to me.
I had one of the very first Quick Mods and it certainly didn't have those issues. How is the volume output? Normal or very low?
If it's very low, it might be a bad volume pot on the module.

This was just replied to via email. Here is a summary of the info for the further reference in case it helps others:

The module in question has an issue with spacing. It was built on an original 2002 Ultra Lead and it's been back here already in the past month. I upgraded it to a GT and it works properly on the 5 different amps I tested it on here. Unfortunately the original mod was done on a donor that was sent in by a customer (not one purchased from me) and it was an original PCB which is shorter, so I can't provide any type of warranty on this module. It would have caused the same problems in your amps as a stock module as well. Unless you want instructions on how to mod your amp to accommodate older modules there isn't anything I can do unfortunately.

A production change occurred in 2004 and new revisions of the original PCB's were released. There was an engineering error and the back pins on the module and spacing of the back module PCB in the amps were moved about 1/32 of an inch. For the most part, it's not a problem, but for a few old modules in newer amps it causes the issues you are seeing. I have seen it occur on about exactly 1% of the 1000 modules I have worked on, all were confirmed to be the exact same issue via measurement and all were donors sent in from customers that had SN#'s beginning with "02". The main incompatibility issues were in RM4's and RM100's.

****...Never encountered this spacing issue with any other mod...Never even heard of it...Wish I would have known about this issue...Perhaps these mods could be marked somehow? The seller didn't know about this either to my knowledge...

Are there many out there like this? Do others have this issue with mods? Maybe I've just been lucky...???

Oh well, I was hoping to hear this mod...I don't want to buy a second before I hear the first...Too bad...

Mattfig said:
****...Never encountered this spacing issue with any other mod...Never even heard of it...Wish I would have known about this issue...Perhaps these mods could be marked somehow? The seller didn't know about this either to my knowledge...

Are there many out there like this? Do others have this issue with mods? Maybe I've just been lucky...???

Oh well, I was hoping to hear this mod...I don't want to buy a second before I hear the first...Too bad...
Sorry I can't be of more help on this one, but the problem is strictly related to the module's measurement and not the modification. There is no "repair", you have to install spacers in your amp. I'm happy to walk you through this process if you like.

Keep in mind the fact I see more modules than anyone. I'll be finishing mod #1000 later this week and still have dozens of brand new donors in stock. I have seen this issue on exactly 10 modules ever, all 2002 donors from the first run of Randall or Egnater single channel modules. The issue can be confirmed if you have Engineering Calipers and can measure accurately down to about 1/32".

Please understand my position. I truly want to help, but I can't warranty a module that I did not originally sell (I assume full responsibility for my donors) that has changed hands 3 times now. It isn't broken and sounds amazing in five different amps I tested it in here (quite possibly the best sounding Quick Mod I have built IMHO), you just have a compatibility problem.

Unfortunately I'm having the same issue with one of my modules too. It's not a JF mod either.

Jaded Faith said:
Mattfig said:

Sorry I can't be of more help on this one, but the problem is strictly related to the module's measurement and not the modification. There is no "repair", you have to install spacers in your amp. I'm happy to walk you through this process if you like.

Keep in mind the fact I see more modules than anyone. I'll be finishing mod #1000 later this week and still have dozens of brand new donors in stock. I have seen this issue on exactly 10 modules ever, all 2002 donors from the first run of Randall or Egnater single channel modules. The issue can be confirmed if you have Engineering Calipers and can measure accurately down to about 1/32".

Please understand my position. I truly want to help, but I can't warranty a module that I did not originally sell (I assume full responsibility for my donors) that has changed hands 3 times now. It isn't broken and sounds amazing in five different amps I tested it in here (quite possibly the best sounding Quick Mod I have built IMHO), you just have a compatibility problem.

I get it but I just bought a mod that you just upgraded to your new GT version...Now I'm stuck with a mod that doesn't work and no solution because of a Randall problem occurring 12 years ago...I don't get it, I thought it was a JF QuickModGT and not a Randall Ultra 2002...That's what I bought...You could have replaced this known "bad" module with one of you many donors and put a JF logo on that...

FWIW guys, I didn't buy this mod from Rob, it was just upgraded recently by him (and I bought it used but with confidence knowing this) and may frustration is with the fact I'm stuck with a JF product but my problem is with a 12 year old design flaw from Randall - I don't expect ANY warranty from Randall...

The truth...Here's what I think should have happened...Since the issue is rare and the mod was just recently upgraded, it should be fine in most amps...Just not any of the 4 I have (my luck)...I would pick up shipping to trade for a working module...That would be great customer service IMHO...

Edited to add that the GT Mod was announced one month ago to the day...I did not buy this expecting an "old" anything...Users supply or buy donors and modders make them into their products...That's the agreement...I thought...

Matt,
If I still had my Quick Mod, I'd just trade you for it. Problem solved.
As you've done a lot of favors for others here, maybe
someone else will read this and offer to do that for you too.
To me it seems like you've just run in to some bad luck
that RANDALL is to blame for. I've said this before,
but when I was a Randall dealer they quite literally screwed up EVERY order I ever made with them! They loaded cabs with the wrong speakers, sent the wrong colors, even shipped an order to my home instead of my store!
If the mod works in every amp that Rob has in his shop, I can't see how he has done anything wrong. Rob has a much better track record than Randall in my experience.
As this is only an issue with a very small number of amps, I'm sure you can sell this one off and move on.
Perhaps the Quick Mod was just shrinking in fear of the Camerock? :roll:

audiomidijace said:
Matt,
but when I was a Randall dealer they quite literally screwed up EVERY order I ever made with them! They loaded cabs with the wrong speakers, sent the wrong colors, even shipped an order to my home instead of my store!
If the mod works in every amp that Rob has in his shop, I can't see how he has done anything wrong. Rob has a much better track record than Randall in my experience.
As this is only an issue with a very small number of amps, I'm sure you can sell this one off and move on.

I know, a dud, totally happens...But a dud should be unacceptable as a donor then...Maybe there have been disclaimers along the way that I have not been aware of....I'm guessing that's the case....But the GT mod is what gets me...That, to me, assumes the most updated JF mod available....Not a problem from 12 yeas ago....That's all....

Matt,
I can see you are clearly just frustrated and spinning on this. I understand your position.
Please call me at your earliest convenience and we can discuss this in full detail.
Respectfully,
Rob

No worries, not seeking special accommodations...Your policy has been stated...

You are right, I am frustrated because what does JF warranty if not a mod you released a month ago? You don't manufacture any modules whether they be from pre-2002 or later...So there must be no warranties...As you don't make the modules themselves...???...

This particular module went from you calling it one of the top5 you've ever heard and made (to previous buyer) to one you wouldn't even consider trading back for one that works for a "valued" customer...

I just thought that part sucked and needed to be said...Resale is a lot of what drives sales and to know that some of your mods may be worth less than expected under certain rare circumstances such as these is discouraging...If I put this up for sale, people would know it's a potential turd...It is an expensive turd in my collection now or I can sell it to someone willing to "roll the dice." Great. It looks nice at least... 8)

I'm lucky to have an understanding seller willing to exchange with me! Thanks! Otherwise, man would I be screwed...We know the mod works in his amp...I wish it would have worked in mine...Woulda, coulda, shoulda....

audiomidijace said:
Matt,

Thanks Jace...That would have been great and much appreciated....I would to have liked to hear this one and Camerock duke it out but alas, it is not meant to be...

Two plastic washers fixed this exact issue for me a few months back, so I made a video of the fix and posted it for others reference:

http://youtu.be/LQx_mLmOfxA

HTH

I requested you give me a call and I'd be happy to try to accommodate as best as possible, yet you continue to vent on a forum instead? I'm not sure you are taking the best possible course of action IMHO. You really should give me a call Matt.

Mattfig said:
But the GT mod is what gets me...That, to me, assumes the most updated JF mod available....Not a problem from 12 yeas ago....That's all....

I'm confused by your confusion. You know that modding doesn't involve replacing the board itself, right? Actual ongoing analogy: buying swanky new flooring for my family room doesn't change how level the concrete slab is. I'm paying my contractor to make the best of what he's been given to work with.

And that's what Rob did -- gave his customer(s) what they asked for. The previous owner(s) sent him -- not once,but twice -- a module that worked fine in their amps, asking for sonic upgrades. Are you suggesting he should have refused their business? How is that good customer service?

i have to say that i find the ongoing analogy to be off a little bit. If you walked out onto your swanky new floor and slipped because the boards slid around and then you are told by the contractor that its a problem that floor adhesive wont stick to the tile that was down there before but he did it anyway because thats what u wanted and (/endrunonsentense) whew! anyway you might be upset that you are out some cash and have an unusable floor? I would. that being said, Rob has a good reputation for customer service and I doubt he knowingly modded something that he knew may not work. Also Matt is a mod junkie so I would like to believe that we will see a scenario where a good solution is found.

If you space off the RM100 module PCB then that would make any other newer PCB mod stand proud or the head faceplate and, if you forgot that and tightened the thumscrews down, pop goes the board.

Can you space off the faceplate from the module PCB by enough? Is there enough thread on the pot lockdown nuts?

iekobrid said:
Mattfig said:
But the GT mod is what gets me...That, to me, assumes the most updated JF mod available....Not a problem from 12 yeas ago....That's all....

I'm confused by your confusion. You know that modding doesn't involve replacing the board itself, right? Actual ongoing analogy: buying swanky new flooring for my family room doesn't change how level the concrete slab is. I'm paying my contractor to make the best of what he's been given to work with.

And that's what Rob did -- gave his customer(s) what they asked for. The previous owner(s) sent him -- not once,but twice -- a module that worked fine in their amps, asking for sonic upgrades. Are you suggesting he should have refused their business? How is that good customer service?

OK. Well I was not aware to check the donor module information to see if it was compatible with any of my MTS gear. That's what I learned.

It's just a preamp module. It ain't ruining my day. I just wasn't feeling all warm and fuzzy at the moment. Can't say I feel great now but I understand. I thought it was JF approved once the faceplate went on it. Didn't know I had to look under the hood. I simply wasn't aware of that risk and felt since it was such a small problem that a replacement would not be out of line.

That is what Rob has agreed to do. Thank you for handling this Rob.

As per Matt's update, I have requested this module be returned to me and I will use it as a trade show demo unit. I tested it in 5 of my 12 MTS amps here and it's worked fine in all of them.

I am not sure what the illusion of something being "JF Approved" is all about. Remember, I provide a service and do not manufacture these modules. I have seen it in 10 out of 1000 modules (#1000 will be shipping Thursday), so a straight up 1%. The catch is this: not all 2002 Rev 1 PCB's cause the issue and even if they do it's not in every amp.

So how would you suggest I handle this going forward? Should I require all customers to buy donors only from me? Should I refuse to modify any original PCB-based donors? Should I eat the questionable donor and just provide a brand new one? I am very big on customer service and I don't think any of those are good ideas. For the record, this module has changed hands 4 times now and it worked fine in my amps and those of the first two owners. I am providing a brand new replacement mod on a brand new donor to the FOURTH owner.

Maybe add a "Read Me First" FAQ to your site where known problems like this are listed. Any person sending in a module with a serial number starting with "02" is in a no warranty, buyer beware position. There can be a note that a submission of payment to Jaded Faith constitutes an acknowledgement that the FAQ and Terms of Service have been read and agreed to.

Of course if a new, never before described anomality shows up then theres nothing to be done. I would imagine most of the cost of the mod is labor and not materials so nothing can really be reused.

Maybe the module isn't 'lost'? Can you guarantee that it WILL work in an RM4 / RM100 that was built in 2002? I would have no problem owning something like that if I possessed a preamp from that year.

BTW...Congrats on 1000!