PIckups choices

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zepplin490

Reaction score
Ok this pickup hunt is driving me crazy. I was gonna get the duncan slash sig set, then i figured i would want more output so ive been looking at hundreds of other passive pickups now ive gone to the darkside and im looking at emg 81/85 combos and Duncan Blackouts too (which i have and love in my Charvel) ive also been looking at emg clones from a company called dragonfire guitars that make a pile of different pickups, I bought a pair of their pickups for the strat i had last year, they were EMG SA clones and they were killer but one review that i read said not to put the 81/85 clones in a mahogany or other heavy wood body as they would sound too dark and bass heavy is this the case with real emgs? Ive seen plenty of Gibson and Epiphones with regular EMG's in em so is this actuallly an isssue?
-mp-

I can't imagine it would make them too dark. I personally like the 85 in the bridge over the 81. So if the 85 is too dark, the 81 will likely be outstanding in the bridge in a mahogany guitar. Maybe it would tame some of the shrillness of the 81.

I had an 81/81 set in a mahogany ESP LTD and it wasnt too dark at all, I still prefer them in alder guitars though. My KV3 just screams and not in a shrill way.

I was unimpressed with the Dragonfire copies though, crappy components and materials.

There are plenty of high output passives though. I lucked into a deal for a calibrated set of BKP Nailbombs. Wow!

Love the 81 and 85! I have that setup in 3 guitars. One has a mahogany body. I think it sounds great.

Cheak out Bare Knuckell. Spendy but worth it!!!!!

I just dropped in a Motor City Solution pickup into one of my Les Pauls and it just screams...It is the most angry and high output passive I've ever heard...

Motor City makes a ton of styles of pickups and come highly recommended by many...