Improving a Guitar's "Tone" Control

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham Pearson

Reaction score
The tone knob on my favorite guitar is very sensitive. The tone changes radically from full off (0) to about 3, and from 3 to full on (10) it hardly changes at all.

I'm assuming the tone pot has a logarithmic taper. Here's my question. How can I improve the control so the tone is more "linear" over the range 0 through 10. If I replaced the pot with one having a linear taper, would this help?

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Reverse the connections on the pot. Sounds like its wired backwards. Also, go to Stewart MacDonalds (Stewmac) web site. They have lots of anternate wiring diagrams.

I don't know a lot about this subject but I can say that I just upgraded one of my guitars to fix this very issue and it worked..

I put in 500k CTS pots and added some high quality caps...The rolloff is totally usable now and the guitar has never sounded better...

Graham,
I was responding during my lunch break and couldn't complete my response. Humbuckers or single coils?
The tone pot can be wired with the the cap to the wiper of the pot and the
LH terminal (viewed from the back) grounded OR the cap to the LH terminal
and the wiper to ground. That may sound different. If you have a multimeter
(an analogue meter is best for this testing) switch it to measure resistance, disconnect all connections to the (tone) pot and, first, measure across the
two outside terminals to see the true pot resistance then measure between
the LH terminal and the center (wiper) as you rotate the pot shaft. A good
audio (log) taper should have a small increase initially and then greater as you rotate the shaft.