Anyone using a Mesa 20/20?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ned

Reaction score
Just grabbed a Mesa 20/20 and will probably get a RM or M4 to pair with this power amp. Anyone try this combo? how did it sound?

Ned, good buy! :) If I didn't have a VHT 2/50/2 the Mesa 20/20 was my next choice! I asked my friends (all high-end gear, cork-sniffing boutique owning guys! lol) what the best power amps on the market in any price range were and they said either VHT or Mesa. I haven't played the Mesa myself, but I know a LOT of people that swear by them! :wink:

ned said:
Just grabbed a Mesa 20/20 and will probably get a RM or M4 to pair with this power amp. Anyone try this combo? how did it sound?

I use a 20/20 for my RM4, Ada MP1 and gnx4. Im quite pleased with it.

ned said:

FWIW, I'm going to be getting an M4, and I'm looking for which power amp to pair with it; I'm definitely looking for something low power.

The 20/20 is high on my list, but then again, something like the Randal RT2/50, switching one side for 6V6s, and the other for EL84 (w/THD Yellowjackets) looks like an interesting combination. Hmmm....

Orren

I had a 20/20 at one point that I used with an Egnater IE4 and it sounded pretty dead to me.

For the last 9 months, I had been running a MPX-G2, JMP-1, and a 20/20 driving a Carvin Legacy 2x12 (2 Cel V30's). The distortion sounds were nice on the JMP-1 but it seemed to be a one trick pony. The controls just gave more or less of the same and the clean was not very "Fender'y" - big surprise there. Channel switching on the JMP1 could not happen mid song due to a dead time during the switching.

Now, I have replaced the MPXG2 with a GT8 - for better foot controller reliability (the G2 is at home in the studio now - no way it will ever sell), the JMP-1 is now an RM4 while the 20/20 and cabinet have stayed the same.

Now, I love the Blackface for fender'y clean and Recto for leads, but my SL+ can't seem to dial in the same JMP-1 type tone. Of course, it's real tubes and no clipping diodes, but I haven't found "the sound" yet - think Bryan Adams (Sum of 69) or Dog's Eye View (Everything Falls Apart). But the amp and cabinet combo rock. Any suggestions - is a Plexi a better option?

Bottom line - the 20/20 rocks in my cover band setup. Rehearsal is coasting, but at a recent outdoor gig, pushing it gave a tone that made me smile. I run one channel only and the other is my "built in backup".

Thats the plan - mono mode.

Gonna have to pick up a RM4 next and probably a new rack. I've also considered splitting the racks so I could the effects with my RM50 if needed.