Any Tips on the JF XTC?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitrous12

Reaction score
I recently acquired an XTC SE and SL-OD100 and had just a short time to test them out.
The SL-OD100 was easy to dial in and I immediately loved it. Thick, mean crunch with great articulation.

I could use some tips on the XTC though. Looking for that chewy high gain grind I have heard from Bogners and just wasn't finding it. Overall just seemed a bit more round than I like.
Running it in a Mod50 that is loaded with 5881s at the moment. I have a lot of experimenting to do with tubes all around and not to mention the EQ/switches on the module itself.

Is this a current JF XTC?
If not, send it to Rob for an update.
The current version is MUCH better than the previous versions.
Personally I think the XTC performs much better with the gain at 3/4 or less.
I use the red channel with the structure switch on.
You might also try an EH12AX7 in V1 on the module.
That gives it a bit more bite.
It's not as aggressive as the OD in my opinion though.

It is the XTC SE with a mid sweep on it. From what the seller posted about it I believe it is the same as the current version as far as the circuit goes.
Maybe Rob can chime in although I may need to provide a serial # or something?

I'd go ahead and email Rob. He's very helpful in this type of matter. I wish I could help, but I have no experience with the JF version.

There haven't been very many changes to the XTC ever, not since the original Replica Mod with the Plexi, Blue/Red and Structure switches was released.

The only variations came with a few "SE" versions that had Red versions of the old plates. Most but not all of these were special with a bit more gain than the original across all modes. However 1-2 of them didn't feature added gain and the red plate was just a cosmetic request. The SE's gave way to the current version which has the plate shown on the site and the added gain. I used the new plate to help represent the circuit tweak and have followed that model on all changes since (like the Quick Mod GT and 59RR Custom).

I don't recall much about your specific module (meaning if the extra gain was added, likely was though) aside from the requested midsweep option. Turning that pot full CCW should give you the stock mids.

Hope that helps,
Rob

Thanks for chiming in Rob. I had a chance to play the XTC again today at some decent volume and this time with my Les Paul. It has a set of Guitarforce Superstars in it...pretty high output w/A8 mag. For high gain rock this guitar is just awesome.
With the LP I had the XTC rockin and sounding much better than what I got from the PRS. It wasn't just the extra output either because I was getting some excellent tones with less saturation with the gain pulled back around 1:00. Over on the Blue setting with the gain dimed I had a pretty cool tighter and dryer tone going on. I was able to get more of the edge I was looking for.

The SL-OD100 was really rockin with the LP too. It seems the XTC is a little more picky about whats coming into whereas the OD just needed a few tweaks to compensate for the different low and high end between the two guitars.
The OD is definitely much more raw and aggressive, but I see the XTC having its place with the LP. Now I just need to see if I can get the PRS to jive with it. I do have a Wolfetone Marshallhead I have been sitting on a few weeks. I think this may be the tipping point to throw it in the PRS.