A shout out for the JF SL-OD100

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitrous12

Reaction score
I liked this mod right from the first note trying it out earlier this week. Yesterday I had a chance to crank up the amp pretty good and I had my #1 LP Traditional into it. What an awesome tone! Its got everything I look for and just sounds and feels really good.
Thick and full yet each note articulates really well. Punches and thumps w/out being woofy or muddy in any way. Grinds and cuts in the mids and has a nice sweet top end. Great tones in both modes. I could see maybe upgrading to a dualie on this one at some point since I am running it in an Egnater.

I get some good tones out of the JF XTC SE and the SL2 as well, but then I switch back to this one and its like 'thats it, right there'. I want to try a lot of other stuff, but I can see this one being a staple.

Yeah, Yeah. It is a sweet mod. When I chose to go dually it was one of two mods that without a doubt was going dually as well. I can't wait to get my dual mod rig together.

When I was trying modules, that one was real high on my list. That's probably one I'll want to pick up at some point.

Skeleton said:
When I was trying modules, that one was real high on my list. That's probably one I'll want to pick up at some point.

Were you able to sample most of his Replica mods?

I wouldn't say most, but I did get through a fair number of them. There are just so many. I certainly would like to try the rest at some point.

I love that mod. It made me reassess my whole setup. Previously, any channel could be boosted for lead by the volume pedal in the loop. That's how my setup has worked for years, with a variety of modules.

After a few hours with the SL-OD100, it has taken over as dedicated lead channel - the volume pedal is now out of the loop. It's just generally a great sounding module. If I was in a one-guitar hard rock band, it could do as my only module. But for my current gigging needs, it gives me a fantastic thick, girthy lead tone. Love it

Like it so much I got this made:

18112012016.jpg

As VitaminG says just about the best lead tone out there IMHO, but I've got a rhythm channel too :)

Also the A channel can be kicked down to the crunch setting in case I want a lighter amount of gain while still having channel B bring the mayhem!

Rob truly is a wizard!!!

I love the SL-OD 100 .....everyone else thinks it's for 80s tones.....I think it's Warren Haynes in a box

JayDA said:
I love the SL-OD 100 .....everyone else thinks it's for 80s tones.....I think it's Warren Haynes in a box

It will do both...and more. I was messing around with lower gain stuff on it earlier. What a great module! Some day I will upgrade to a dualie on this one.

JayDA said:

I can do Ratt, Dokken, and other 80's with mine along with Warren. It's just a flick of the Crunch / OD switch away.

VitaminG said:
I love that mod. It made me reassess my whole setup. Previously, any channel could be boosted for lead by the volume pedal in the loop. That's how my setup has worked for years, with a variety of modules.

After a few hours with the SL-OD100, it has taken over as dedicated lead channel - the volume pedal is now out of the loop. It's just generally a great sounding module. If I was in a one-guitar hard rock band, it could do as my only module. But for my current gigging needs, it gives me a fantastic thick, girthy lead tone. Love it

Lead tone is exactly why I got my old Slod-100 and its exactly why i got rid of it, I thought that it would make the difference that i needed in my lead tone. I was wrong and had gotten rid of my xtc which had the best lead tones ive heard in mts... its now ended up that ive gotten another Xtc this one an SE with a midsweep!
-mp-

I'm in the minority.. in the spirit of forum discussions, I really dug the crunch channel but wasn't a fan of the OD side. I found it tad woofy-thick for my liking. That channel could have used a bit more high end. Everyone's ears are different though.

I was in an angry mood last night and rocked out to some AIC for a while. The JF Scary (SLO100) beat out my beloved JF Brahma and a Mashall+ for that tone. :twisted:

Kapo_Polenton said:
I'm in the minority.. in the spirit of forum discussions, I really dug the crunch channel but wasn't a fan of the OD side. I found it tad woofy-thick for my liking. That channel could have used a bit more high end. Everyone's ears are different though.

Interesting. I like the thickness and feel the low end can be controlled and the high can also be set pretty bright and cutting. If anything I find the XTC SE can be much more woofy on the low end if you aren't careful.
Variety is the spice of life :)

Not sure how I missed this all along but my SL-OD100 has a mid sweep. I don't see that on other pics of them I have seen. Was mine a one off?

nitrous12 said:
Not sure how I missed this all along but my SL-OD100 has a mid sweep. I don't see that on other pics of them I have seen. Was mine a one off?
Yes, it has an added midsweep option. All standard features for every mod are listed in the descriptions on my website. If it's on you module and not listed in that description, it's a custom add-on.

Would that be possible on a dual version?
I really like the added control that brings. This module is still king for me.

nitrous12 said:
It would, as the Crunch/OD witch pictured on my site was an add-on option to provide the OD channel on the Crunch side (channel A) of the dually. The Fluid switch could go between the bass/mid knobs and a sweep could go between the mid/treble knobs.

Jaded Faith said:
nitrous12 said:
It would, as the Crunch/OD witch pictured on my site was an add-on option to provide the OD channel on the Crunch side (channel A) of the dually. The Fluid switch could go between the bass/mid knobs and a sweep could go between the mid/treble knobs.

What about this, Fluid, Focus, Crunch/OD and mid sweep. One in place of the bright switch. I am assuming on the dual board there is not enough room between the Treble and Master Volumes for the mid-sweep like it is placed on my single?