Compare the Ultra-Lead, Pittbull and QuickMod

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitrous12

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has experience with the modules and comment on how similar they are and where they differ. I have seen the Pittbull mentioned...is that a custom order? I don't see it listed on the site.

I know what the QuickMod is all about and from various comments it sounds like the VHT stuff is in that similar dry, tight and aggressive category.

zepplin490 said:
Ultra Lead over quickmod by alot cant say on the pitbull as its been discontinued for a year or so.
-mp-

Can you elaborate? I know you dig the Ultra Lead and recently sold your QuickMod.

The Ultra-Lead is more versatile and well rounded than the Pitt

I have had a zillion amps over the years and the Ultra-Lead is ALL VHT! The Pitt is cool, but its kinda like a QuickMod, QuickMod GT kinda thing. When Rob develops a mod and sells a bunch it goes through stages and often remodifictaion due to the buyer's likes and preferences. If several guys ask for similar features Rob often discontunes one module and replaces it with a newer, usually better, version. The Ultra-Lead is just that, the best version of a Jaded Faith VHT

I have a stock UL and a modified UL that my partner has up for sale in the classifieds. I HATE to part with either, but the amount of modules I have is ridiculous and I must sacrifice a few favorites to appease the wife :( Our loss is your high gain :p LOL Drop me a line if you want one of these guys, any reasonable offer will be entertained :)

Let us know what you decide!

H

It's funny this topic came up as I just asked LoD yesterday what the differences are between the Pitbull and UltraLead. I bought his Pitbull several months ago and he has a couple UltraLeads now, along with a good set of ears, so I value his opinion. Hope he doesn't mind me posting his response.

LoD21 said:
So the differences....the Pit is quite a bit dryer than the UL. I would say the UL is bigger. Sounds like it has more headroom. Has more thump. I really liked it for drop d Chug stuff a lot. If you read the description on the Fryette site about the UL it really describes the module well. Rob was very accurate with this and what I really appreciated most was that he was somehow able to design it and account for the poweramp of a true UL when it's just a preamp.

I would say it also has a tad more gain and a little smoother highs. The mids have a nice low mid bump that makes it punchy similar to the Pit but that bump would be a wider curve on an eq. Overall I'd say the eq offers more versatility than the Pit and for me i'm all about options sometimes to a fault. The Pit however is a love it or hate it for most guys where there is a small window of tweakability on the eq. I liked the Pit quite a bit too. Has nice sizzly snarl.

I would also say the UL might have a little faster attack than what I recall and like many of Rob's new modules it's for sure quieter. That said if you don't have a super hot pickup that may not matter to you. It's different than the Pit.

Hope that helps.

BTW

A QuickMod is based on a Splawn which is a hot rodded, tuned Marsall clone. The Ultra-Lead is based on a VHT which is either a Rectifer or Soldano clone, Rob will have to elaborate. So its about the eq voicing and tone stack you prefer.

Big Daddy = Recto guy :p LOL

Just information you may not have been aware of :)

Happy Hunting

H

Big Daddy said:

I have had a zillion amps over the years and the Ultra-Lead is ALL VHT! The Pitt is cool, but its kinda like a QuickMod, QuickMod GT kinda thing. When Rob develops a mod and sells a bunch it goes through stages and often remodifictaion due to the buyer's likes and preferences. If several guys ask for similar features Rob often discontunes one module and replaces it with a newer, usually better, version. The Ultra-Lead is just that, the best version of a Jaded Faith VHT

I have a stock UL and a modified UL that my partner has up for sale in the classifieds. I HATE to part with either, but the amount of modules I have is ridiculous and I must sacrifice a few favorites to appease the wife :( Our loss is your high gain :p LOL Drop me a line if you want one of these guys, any reasonable offer will be entertained :)

H

Cool, that helps with the VHT side of things. Have you guys tried the QuickMod or QuickMod GT?
I scored a used one that should arrive tomorrow. I used and loved a Splawn Quick Rod the past 3 years so I had to give this a shot to see how close it was to the real thing. I loved my QR, but wanted more versatility...swapping modules obviously provides just that so this has been a fun new adventure for me.
I would love to try an Ultra-Lead next to the QuickMod, but my funds are all tied up at the moment. I may not keep the JF XTC SE I have though so perhaps if I move that...could be a timing thing though.

Big Daddy said:
If several guys ask for similar features Rob often discontunes one module and replaces it with a newer, usually better, version. The Ultra-Lead is just that, the best version of a Jaded Faith VHT

Big Daddy is mostly right but I have to disagree with this portion of his comment. The UL is NOT a better version of the Pit. In speaking with Rob they are really two different designs intended here. If you surf the threads you will see where Rob explains the Pit as his "amp that got away"....

nitrous12 said:
Big Daddy said:

H

Cool, that helps with the VHT side of things. Have you guys tried the QuickMod or QuickMod GT?
I scored a used one that should arrive tomorrow. I used and loved a Splawn Quick Rod the past 3 years so I had to give this a shot to see how close it was to the real thing. I loved my QR, but wanted more versatility...swapping modules obviously provides just that so this has been a fun new adventure for me.
I would love to try an Ultra-Lead next to the QuickMod, but my funds are all tied up at the moment. I may not keep the JF XTC SE I have though so perhaps if I move that...could be a timing thing though.

If you have a Quick Rod I will tell you that you will be shocked at how close the Quick Mod is the real thing. We actually had a 2011 Quick Rod and Nitro we tested and were blown away by how close they were to the QM. If that's what you are looking for pull the trigger.

nitrous12 said:

I got to play both side by side and chose the Ultra Lead because it had more gain and I liked the mid voicing, the Deep switch and the Edge control, especially the Edge... it made the highs very agressive in a good way. I have not heard or played the QuickMod GT, but from Rob's description and considering the QuickMod was a close second in my test drive to the Ultra-Lead, I would definitely like to give it a listen and think I would like it better than the QuickMod

LoD21 said:
nitrous12 said:
Big Daddy said:

H

If you have a Quick Rod I will tell you that you will be shocked at how close the Quick Mod is the real thing. We actually had a 2011 Quick Rod and Nitro we tested and were blown away by how close they were to the QM. If that's what you are looking for pull the trigger.

Its already on the way. It is the original QuickMod, but as I understand it it was built to have a bit tighter low end and is somewhere between the initial design and the new GT revision.
I sold my Quick Rod a few months ago to start the amp journey that recently landed me on Egnater and then the MOD50 and this modular world. It isn't far though as my old drummer has it in his studio.

Big Daddy said:
BTW

A QuickMod is based on a Splawn which is a hot rodded, tuned Marsall clone. The Ultra-Lead is based on a VHT which is either a Rectifer or Soldano clone, Rob will have to elaborate. So its about the eq voicing and tone stack you prefer.

Big Daddy = Recto guy :p LOL

Just information you may not have been aware of :)

Happy Hunting

H

Interesting...I didn't know the VHT was Rectifier/Soldano based. I have a SL-OD100 that I am absolutely loving. I have been eyeing that Snakebite for something more in the Recto vein. Perhaps I'll keep that in the sights for the next module. Although that Silverado looks awesome as I always loved Jubiliee tones. Too many choices :)
I am definitely more of a Marshall guy lately.

I am insanely busy here today, but here's a little info to clear things up.

The Pitt was my original VHT-based Replica mod and it was based on a 2003 VHT 50/ST Pittbull with EL34's. Or as LOD21 mentioned, "my amp that got away." It is one of the only amps I have regrets about parting ways with. It was a lower gain VHT that I best described as sounding like what a great Marshall should sound like. The catch was that when folks read VHT, the usually think of the Pittbull Ultra Lead. Thus the current Ultra-Lead was born and this one retired.

The UL was based on the study of a late 2000's VHT UL Pittbull I had in the shop last year for service. This is what you think of when you think VHT: dry, unforgiving, tight thump, articulate and stupid fast tracking of your playing. If you are sloppy, this module will remind you

The Quick Mod and GT version are based on Splawn Quick Rods, which are stiff, high gain Marshall clones. The GT was a change to the original to address feedback from the down-tuning crowd here and directly from Dino of Fear Factory who put it through the paces with me last year using an Ibanez 8-string. The GT is more forgiving, easier to play, easier to dial in the EQ and tighter for better tracking of deep riffs.

Hope that helps,
Rob

I got my QuickMod yesterday. It came from VOD and from what I understand it has a lot of the changes that led to the GT.
I didn't have a ton of time to play it, but did fire it up and played it at a decent volume. Dialing it in was easy and the familiar voice and feel of the Quick Rod is definitely there.

I had the SL-OD100 in the other slot and doing some quick comparisons it would appear the QuickMod has better clarity and maybe a little more individual note punch. Different voicings though and each have their own mojo going on.

It is a cool module for sure and if you like the real Splawn I would think you would find this module to be very accurate. I do recall a comment that you have to keep the gain way back on the module for it to be like the real QR. I would say that the module has way more gain on tap, so yes....12:00 on the gain my be equal to 3:00 on the real amps gain. In that way along with what I find to be more EQ control the module is more versatile.

nitrous12 said:
I got my QuickMod yesterday. It came from VOD and from what I understand it has a lot of the changes that led to the GT.
I didn't have a ton of time to play it, but did fire it up and played it at a decent volume. Dialing it in was easy and the familiar voice and feel of the Quick Rod is definitely there.

I had the SL-OD100 in the other slot and doing some quick comparisons it would appear the QuickMod has better clarity and maybe a little more individual note punch. Different voicings though and each have their own mojo going on.

It is a cool module for sure and if you like the real Splawn I would think you would find this module to be very accurate. I do recall a comment that you have to keep the gain way back on the module for it to be like the real QR. I would say that the module has way more gain on tap, so yes....12:00 on the gain my be equal to 3:00 on the real amps gain. In that way along with what I find to be more EQ control the module is more versatile.

Glad you like it!