Foglifters are in the house

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet!
Gotta buy an eleven rack and try some recording but after that foglifters and a couple new modules are in my future!
-mp-

Just picked up one of each on my way home....planning to install the first one in my RM50 tonight! I can't wait to check it out.

Awesome. Rob is building me a Super Reverb module next week. I am glad the Foglifters are ready so it will save on my shipping.

Big Steve said:
Awesome. Rob is building me a Super Reverb module next week. I am glad the Foglifters are ready so it will save on my shipping.

Cool man...wonder if you can cop the Derek Trucks cranked Super Reverb tone out of it?

JayDA said:
Just picked up one of each on my way home....planning to install the first one in my RM50 tonight! I can't wait to check it out.

That is awesome that you live close to Rob and can check stuff out first hand.
I finally just looked up where Hamilton is and its about 1.5hrs from where I grew up. Too bad I don't get down that way for extended periods where I could go for a little day trip to meet up with them and try out some of the modules.

I got my Foglifter in today. Easy and quick install.

It does what it advertises. There is an improvement in clarity and the density/presence are more usable. The changes remind me a lot of when I have upgraded output transformers on other amps in the past. There is a noticeable difference and everything is refined in a good way.
Nice job Rob and thanks!!!

I am hesitant only because I already my rig to be a touch bright sometimes and the clips I heard seem to enhance brightness. The hype is getting to me though.

The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger at the moment is thought of taking the head apart. I did it once and was not a big fan. Then again, recent job loss has opened up some free time.

eyeball987 said:
I am hesitant only because I already my rig to be a touch bright sometimes and the clips I heard seem to enhance brightness. The hype is getting to me though.

The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger at the moment is thought of taking the head apart. I did it once and was not a big fan. Then again, recent job loss has opened up some free time.

Not sure which clips you heard of the foglifter. I watched Mattfigs clip of the Salvation version of the density/pres upgrade board and kinda thought the same thing. When it was engaged it just sounded brighter. I believe there is some clarity added as well, but the video really just translates as a bright switch to me.
That said I don't find that the Foglifter made anything more bright. More clarity and a step towards being a little more hi-fi for lack of a better way to say it. The presence is more usable in that it is not as harsh as you bring it in. The density is more usable as well, but you still have to use it sparingly as it can still be too much on extreme settings.
I am finding my JF XTC SE more pleasing. Seems the Foglifter is bringing it to life more for me and I am digging it more than before.

As far as doing the mod...all I can say is that it is really easy. Rob provides great instructions including what to do to drain the caps. You do not have to get into the guts of the amp as the board is on the outskirts and comes out very easily. I totally understand and respect everyone has a different level of comfort doing something like this though.

To confirm the reply from nitrous12, there are no official clips or videos out there for the Foglifter. Certainly nothing I have released as official.

The Forglifter is a fine tuning of the stock circuit to one I have personally used for years that addresses several of my complaints about the stocks circuit. The highs are more usable and airy without harshness and the bottom is more punchy and thumps without the mud. I think it would actually fix all of your complains quite well.

The install is quick, simple and very well documented in the installation manual I include with each order.

Have a great weekend,
Rob

i got mine in this past weekend and just wanted to confirm that what it does is make the density and presence more usable. it doesn't inherently make anything brighter, it just makes it so you CAN add more brightness or low end thump with more range before you hit harshness or mud.

i particularly like the change to the density. in my rig, i use 2 oversized 1x12 cabs. it needs a little help to get the 4x12 vibe and now i can crank the density where i couldn't before.

yassirst said:
Rob, what about RT2/50?

I addressed this and the RM20/22 in another post, but the short answer is I won't be doing a drop in replacement for either. The RM20/22 didn't see enough improvement due to the shortcomings of the power section and power supply to make me feel it was worthwhile.

The RT2/50 actually has two large PCB's with multiple circuits on them (everything you see on the front except the power and standby switches are on them, times two), making them a cost prohibitive option. I will certainly mod your existing PCB's, but drop in replacements would have run between $125-150.

Hey guys, it's "quick and easy" ... how long did it take you to do the install (Rm100LB).

I like a lot of thump sometimes but it can get a bit muddy at times. Perhaps this is the ticket.

It honestly is very quick and painless. If you've taken a chassis out of a head shell before it will go faster. Literally a couple nuts and couple connections swaps for the rm100 once you get the heavy chassis free.

You couldn't do yourself a bigger favor if you love mts. Besides playing the pro modded modules, it's a big difference.

All the feedback I have received from over 30 of these has said it was a positive change and very easy to do with the printed instructions. If you have used a screw driver in the past and have 20 minutes you have all you need.