All JFM modules now come tube tested and graded

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaded Faith

Reaction score
As mentioned today on our Facebook page and at www.jadedfaithmods.com:

As of July 2013, every tube in every module and amp we work on will be tested and graded at no extra charge. This free service will help you better position tubes for optimal tone and eliminate all the guess work. It's another way Jaded Faith Mods provides you with the best tone at the best price and our way of saying thanks for your business.

Awesome! I've have often wondered if the tubes I order are always "A" grade like their prices suggest or if I'm getting screwed.

And this would be a great way to see how long tubes actually last instead of just guessing or waiting for it to be obvious.

Nice job Rob!

Also, warm up the soldering iron, you will be getting an email soon about a new commissioned module :)

mikegyver said:
Also, warm up the soldering iron, you will be getting an email soon about a new commissioned module :)

I'm not sure Rob's soldering iron ever gets a chance to cool off. :)

Thanks Mike and I think this will be a fantastic way to give more value and help customers maximize their tone. I actually got a few questions already via email and wanted to post this reply that might also clear a few things up:

"As of today, every single tube in every single module and amp I work on will be tested, graded, marked on the tube for reference and placed in the ideal position based on it's results. I will only replace a tube at no charge if it is reading worn or fails out of the box in one of my donors. I will advise if a tube is worn or bad if it's a donor that you have sent in. I have new tubes available for sale if that should happen and will contact before shipping an order in that scenario."

I tested 50 tubes today while I was at the bench working. The results are shocking at times and bring a few pleasant surprises. I only had one tube that failed, a Svetlana 12AX7 that was sold tested as premium. I found one "unicorn" standard JJ ECC83S that was the only tube to test 15/15. That's the max gain possible and it's balanced to boot. Many balanced tubes were found in common stock (which I had seen before on my Hickok). A few HG rated tubes were surprisingly not at all, reading values like 8/7 or 11/7. The values are the two halfs of the triode and the scale ranges from 1 up to 15.

drewiv said:
mikegyver said:

I'm not sure Rob's soldering iron ever gets a chance to cool off. :)
Only on the weekend so I can charge my batteries and get some R&R! Very true words sir. On a happy note, I cleared the mountain of combos that came in after the NY Amp Show and it's easy to get in and out of the shop door now....

Mattfig said:
Did ya get the vt?
Yes sir, it arrived today. Great tool and the initial tests showed the machine to be quite accurate according to my ears. It was an excellent investment and paired with my other test equipment it gives me a great amount of info to make better decisions in the shop.

Jaded Faith said:
Mattfig said:
Did ya get the vt?
Yes sir, it arrived today. Great tool and the initial tests showed the machine to be quite accurate according to my ears. It was an excellent investment and paired with my other test equipment it gives me a great amount of info to make better decisions in the shop.

Awesome! Glad you got one dude...Mine has come in handy already several times...Love it!

You should add that as a service besides the mods. I have a huge collection that could use rating. It would be great for balancing out your sound. I'm getting ready to send a couple dual channels over to get modded. Would it be possible to send tubes with them to get rated? I think Mattfig had to add an extra bedroom to hold all of his tubes. Sounds like easy money Rob. :)

It would be really cool to track the ratings too by brand and what not. I could help you set that up in an excel spreadsheet format even. Yeah, I'm a nerd.

Google it, there's a bunch of places selling it. $499+ shipping..

guitarzan said:
You should add that as a service besides the mods. I have a huge collection that could use rating. It would be great for balancing out your sound. I'm getting ready to send a couple dual channels over to get modded. Would it be possible to send tubes with them to get rated? I think Mattfig had to add an extra bedroom to hold all of his tubes. Sounds like easy money Rob. :)
I'm sure we can work something out, just email me with specifics. Let me know what you have and how many and I'll send you and estimate. Even better if you're sending modules over to save on shipping.

I'd be happy to check out any spreadsheet you throw together. I too am a nerd like that, but I have far too little time on my hands to log it.

Mattfig said:
Or make a best offer online for about four and a quarter... :wink:

And the Fig is correct. Just picked one up NEW on fleabay for $420, free shipping... Good call, Fig. I was about to order one from Sweetwater (I have a $75 OFF coupon), but I can save that for something else now. :D

Edited typo of price.

Who are you guys using on eBay? PM me if it's more appropriate. I checked out Sweetwater with their $75 off, but they aren't in stock. Status says "It's Arriving Soon!".

I guess I don't see why it wouldn't be appropriate to name names here. I purchased mine with "BO" option from ID: texasguitarranch. This morning he had two available, I was the third offer in, he accepted my offer and one other. Not sure where else they are available on the bay, I stopped looking when my offer was accepted.