First World Problems (Foglifter install)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewiv

Reaction score
I received my box of various Jaded Faith gear (thanks go out to Rob). I have a four day weekend (thanks go out to Independence). Now, I have three MOD50s and a MOD100 to update with Foglifters and two new modules to try out. It's lookin like a busy morning tomorrow after my 30 mile bike ride. I will update and document with some pics for the group. It's an easy swap (I had them out for pics many times already), but it is a small PITA. Happy Independence Day to all.

GtrGeorge! said:
Nice problems to have!!

Indeed, first world problems. I should be installing now, but I'm "enjoying life" and trying to promote mts comradery. I will hit that up after my bike ride in the morning. Promise. Pics included. Maybe even the rare drewiv clip. :shock:

Got the Foglifters installed in the 3 MOD50s. Unfortunately, there was a bit of miscommunication between myself and Rob - the MOD100 board has the wrong type of connectors. We will sort that out tomorrow. The pictures of installing we're boring and they have no value beyond what Rob provides in the instructions.

Stacked up after the Foglifter swap:
2789011caf1a3b9e0e6a669fd9c54a51_zps7a0082e0.jpg

No tubes yet:
df8c0d89811b16e6fbe7e4c70715b7ae_zpsdace574c.jpg

Tubes in and warming:
e888c716ee5d7058e696be8e311fcf23_zps7b402299.jpg

All biased up and ready to dial in some modules:
0fd95b6e0608146b592d4e4c3f516d54_zps343a4bbd.jpg

Tubes installed in amps (all tested in the new Orange Valve Tester):
MOD50 #1
=C= EL34
Ruby HG+ 12AX7
EH 12AX7 gold pin
Sovtek 12AX7LPS

MOD50 #2
ARS EL34
Ruby HG+ 12AX7
EH 12AX7 gold pin
Sovtek 12AX7LPS

MOD50 Combo
Tung Sol 5881
EH 12AX7
EH 12AT7
Sovtek 12AX7LPS

EDIT: above tubes are listed in order of
POWER TUBES
"V1"
LOOP
PI

Results?

As soon as I feel like tearing my amp apart to find out which version I need, I will be ordering myself.

eyeball987 said:
Results?

As soon as I feel like tearing my amp apart to find out which version I need, I will be ordering myself.
If it's a Randall, it's the closed type. I have never once seen a single Randall with the open type.

eyeball987 said:

They were good. Very good. Nothing observed that hasn't been said. The density pot seems to be quite a bit more active throughout the entire sweep of the pot; much more useful. It also seemed to clear things up a bit. I only goofed around for 2-3 hours or so. I'll definitely be able to see more throughout the week.

frodgemo said:
Sweet! Whatcha got goin on for speakers?

All the speakers in those cabs are Scumback. M75/H75 in the vert Port City and M75-LD's in the Mesa (both wired at 16 ohm). ****, if I can't recall what's in the combo, wanna say another M75; 65W,16ohm. Confirmed, it's a M75, but the LD version.

Jaded Faith said:
eyeball987 said:
Results?

If it's a Randall, it's the closed type. I have never once seen a single Randall with the open type.

That is good to know!

I actually pulled the module in the third slot and can pretty much see one connector without pulling the thing apart. Looks like the closed type to me.

Order coming through today.

Edit: Ordered and confirmation from JF that it was received. Now the wait.

drewiv said:
frodgemo said:
Sweet! Whatcha got goin on for speakers?

All the speakers in those cabs are Scumback. M75/H75 in the vert Port City and M75-LD's in the Mesa (both wired at 16 ohm). ****, if I can't recall what's in the combo, wanna say another M75; 65W,16ohm. Confirmed, it's a M75, but the LD version.

Nice. I have yet to play anything through a (or several) Scumback speaker(s). I don't recall ever hearing anything bad about them.

Jaded Faith said:
eyeball987 said:
Results?

I was in the same boat. My amps are sounding so good I didn't want to take them apart to find which type I needed to order Foglifters for my two RM50 combos. I'll order them now too, if I don't have to worry about that.

audiomidijace said:
Jaded Faith said:
eyeball987 said:
Results?

I was in the same boat. My amps are sounding so good I didn't want to take them apart to find which type I needed to order Foglifters for my two RM50 combos. I'll order them now too, if I don't have to worry about that.

As Rob said you don't have to worry about Randalls, only early Egnaters have the open connectors (see below).

From start to finish, three MOD50 Foglifter installs, retube and bias took me under two hours. Add in a MOD100 out of the headshell and awaiting the correct Foglifter (my mistake, not Rob's). Wasn't too bad of a project with great results. You'll be happy you did it.

6ea739954b0027ede1163fbeb027e87f_zpsa0f213fe.jpg

audiomidijace said:
Jaded Faith said:
eyeball987 said:
Results?

This is not good. I was relying on my laziness to save money. By not bothering to pull my amp apart to check which connector I have, I couldn't confidently order a Foglifter. Now I need to formulate another excuse not to spend money :lol: :lol:

Well the Foglifter works as advertised. I have an increase in clarity which cleared up a bit of mud that I didn't even realize was there.

Other than having two of the clips that hold the nuts inside the chassis break, install was a breeze.

audiomidijace said:
My Foglifters just arrived! Now if I can just get my wife, the kids and my dog to give me the time to install them!
Once you figure that out, please share with the rest of us.

I installed them both last night. Easy enough to do. There was a bunch of extra tolex that got in the way of trying to reinstall the amp back in to the combo chassis. I had to cut a bunch of it off.
I didn't have the time or energy to get the amps set up again afterwards.
Maybe tonight if I'm lucky.

holy crap, what a difference! Just got my Foglifter in (thanks Rob) and had to debate whether to back the treble back on my modules now. Everything is just so much brighter & clearer. Not in an annoying or overly aggressive way. Not shrill at all. In the end, I've left treble controls where they were and am actually running the Presence higher than I ever have. Will be interesting to see how settings change once I've run her at volume with the band. Awesome upgrade to the amp.

Now my big dilemma - where to put the Jaded Faith Modified sticker? ;)