Possible Ideas for Bass Modules

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncledano

Reaction score
I have a few ideas that could be added to:
Ampeg B-15
Ampeg SVT
Ashdown
Silvertone 1484 (I know it's a guitar amp, but it works great on bass)

Any other ideas? :D

I would think SVT and B15 would be sweet, I've experimented with my Super Clean and a few other mods and I've gotten some really decent bass tones.

A dedicated MTS bass rig is something I've stopped and started to gather equipment for about five times. First I was going to put 6550s or KT88s in an RM100 and see how the clean headroom was...then I was going to use an RM4 and a larger solid state power amp. Every time I have the cash to commission mods from Rob and get my little "project" moving, I end up "needing" the money for something else....you know how GAS pains can be.

MarkBass- I'd love a TS 808 built into the module, like the one-off Nuno module. MBs amp sound like nothing else and a boost out front makes their sound explode!!!!!!

The Rossness said:
MarkBass- I'd love a TS 808 built into the module, like the one-off Nuno module. MBs amp sound like nothing else and a boost out front makes their sound explode!!!!!!
Too soon! I just had a MarkBass amp on my bench Monday, what a nightmare. Completely disposable gear, much like Blackstar. If something goes wrong, the only option is to take it to one of their few authorized service centers and have an entire PCB replaced. They are not intended to be serviced at all. Unfortunately the artist who brought it in was on tour and that wasn't an option.

Jaded Faith said:
Too soon! I just had a MarkBass amp on my bench Monday, what a nightmare. Completely disposable gear, much like Blackstar. If something goes wrong, the only option is to take it to one of their few authorized service centers and have an entire PCB replaced. They are not intended to be serviced at all. Unfortunately the artist who brought it in was on tour and that wasn't an option.

Sounds like an opportunity! That touring musician might have bought a JF MarkBass mod on the spot, if one were available. :wink:

Truthfully, being a bass player, I don't see the need for an MTS bass mod. Once you have an amp you like, you rarely ever wish you had a different amp for this track or that track, like you do with guitar. Once you nail your tone with your amp, you seldom change. I may EQ things differently per track and with the active EQs in bass amps, that can make a significant difference. But never have I said I want an SVT on this track, a GK on this one, and a Fender on this one. Just my opinion.

A bit off topic, but what is a good, serviceable bass amp? I have an Eden tube head which sounds great but I'd rather not move around. I also have a Hartke LH500 which sounds pretty good but I'd doubt is very serviceable. I have some guys wanting me to play bass in a local band and I'm thinking of picking something up that is light, reliable and serviceable. Any suggestions?

Personally, I'm a big GK fan. I don't know how serviceable they are, but they seem nearly indestructable so the serviceability might be a moot point. Some of the old 400RB's & 800RB's are still going strong, so I put GK high on dependability. Also, they are rather lightweight since they're solid state. The MB series is even lighter, though I prefer the functionality of the RB series.

speed2dirt said:
Personally, I'm a big GK fan. I don't know how serviceable they are, but they seem nearly indestructable so the serviceability might be a moot point. Some of the old 400RB's & 800RB's are still going strong, so I put GK high on dependability. Also, they are rather lightweight since they're solid state. The MB series is even lighter, though I prefer the functionality of the RB series.

GK always made a solid product, my old bass player had an 800RB that went through hell and back and still sounded great.

speed2dirt said:
Truthfully, being a bass player, I don't see the need for an MTS bass mod. Once you have an amp you like, you rarely ever wish you had a different amp for this track or that track, like you do with guitar.

I respectfully disagree. I love classic bass tones and would love to be able to say, get those classic Ampeg B-15 tones for an old r&B song and then something cleaner on a newer style....and everything in between Entwisle's tone and James Jamerson's tone are two different animals and two different amp systems.

I think this is a pretty nifty idea so what type of 12" speakers would be good for the MTS bass application?

And I too would love a classic Ampeg B15, a Markbass, and something else hahaha

I am not sure if I would use a twelve if I were seriously going to play bass. I would certainly not use a low wattage guitar speaker. I use speaker sims for bass in my studio. Four tens sound pretty nice, but a fifteen gives it that nice low end feel it in your gut sound.

I just spent the evening swapping drivers in two of the studio bass rigs.
I have a 2x15 I use with an Ampeg B-25B, and one of the drivers was a non-matched replacement, so I swapped them both for a pair of Eminence Delta 15As. I also pulled the driver on a Marshall 1550 1x15 and put in an old OEM Eminence square magnet driver, the one's that fuzz up nice.
The mod bass cabinet is a SWR Goliath II 4x10.
4x12s are good bass fun, Fane does a nice job in that department.
For a Jaded Faith mod, I think I'd request a bass/guitar crossover preamp - an Ampeg V4, that can do some Stones tones or meaty bass.