King's X/Galactic Cowboys Bass Grind

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncledano

Reaction score
Big fans of both groups, and their obvious connections. Legendary guitar sounds, but I am really interested in the bass sound. I owned a Hamer 12 string, and I ran in to a lot of phase cancellation.

Any thoughts?

Uncledano said:
Big fans of both groups, and their obvious connections. Legendary guitar sounds, but I am really interested in the bass sound. I owned a Hamer 12 string, and I ran in to a lot of phase cancellation.

Any thoughts?

I once read an interview with Sam Taylor where he said that his go-to KX bass tone was a blend of three tracks of 12-string (each through a different amp tweaked to accentuate a separate chunk of EQ, highs mids or lows) and one track of 4-string (recorded direct and compressed, mostly lows).

Multi tracked and the 12-string is essential for the tone. Don't forget the pick as well. If you want a fun unique pick for bass, try one of the metal ones. But you have to play very cleanly as the tone really sticks through with a metal pick on a bass.