Platinum Snakebite

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was waiting for a topic like this. I got my Snakebite Platinum last week and have been playing it quite a bit. I've only run it in the RM20 through two Bogner Cubes with V30s, but the sound is what I'd expect a recto to be. It's thick, somewhat loose, with a metallic/synthetic grind to it. It's in your face and rude which is perfect for rhythm, but also has great sustain for fluid leads. I was hoping for James Murphy's tone on Testament's Live At The Fillmore and think this mod delivers.

I will say that it has more options than I need. Truthfully, I'd ideally get the Snakebite with the channel select and venom switch. All the other options really change the mids and top-end, which is great but much more than I'd ever need. Maybe in the RM100 with a 4x12, which I haven't tried yet, you'd need the choices but to me, I don't need a "do everything" mod.

But overall, the tone this mod delivers is golden. I have heavy mods from the SG Afterlife to JF Damageplan, and this one bridges the gap. It won't be replacing my Afterlife, but it definitely brings something different that I can use.

The venom switch is a must have on this module but I really like the Freq control as well. The module starts to roar in a different way depending on its setting. On extreme settings it can sound dull as highs and high mids get lost but this can be easily contoured with the fangs switch. I think the switches really complement each other well.

speed2dirt Finally someone else who loves Testaments "Live at the Fillmore"
I have never heard another soul on any forum mention that disc, its one of my favorites from probably the least known but producer of some of the best thrash metal of all time! And they are still pumping it out!
-Matt Page-
their tone is always great!

I love this mod. I don't play any super heavy downtuned stuff but when it comes to a tight monster of a sound this is what I had in my head. It's now my main rhythm channel for any overdriven songs.
Doesn't come any better.

zepplin490 said:
speed2dirt Finally someone else who loves Testaments "Live at the Fillmore"
I have never heard another soul on any forum mention that disc, its one of my favorites from probably the least known but producer of some of the best thrash metal of all time! And they are still pumping it out!
-Matt Page-
their tone is always great!

Glad I'm not alone. That's a great live album and the tone is incredible. In all honesty, it's one of my favorite Testament albums. I just wish they had video of that concert too. But I can't complain since the audio rocks!

Do you have the Snakebite?

What is the difference between the platinum and the regular snakebite? Also, I've heard that a cobra is very much a mix of 5150 and recto like tones, is this also true of the snakebite?

Since the Snakebite was already an over the top design, the Platinum Venom version was essentially a cosmetic upgrade. The plates (done by forum member Gtrbassist) were laser-cut and look stunning in person. The knobs were a custom black. There were only about 3 Snakebites shipped before the Venoms and 1-2 of those had some different caps used while I was sourcing the ones I use now. All the same parts used in the Venom go into the Snakebite now.

As for the tone: https://soundcloud.com/jaded-faith-mods/snakebite-kse-demo

davisj76 said:
What is the difference between the platinum and the regular snakebite? Also, I've heard that a cobra is very much a mix of 5150 and recto like tones, is this also true of the snakebite?

Davis,

The Snakebite was commissioned to nail KSE off the Set the World Ablaze DVD and The End of Heartache. Unlike many other newer metal bands, KSE uses more distortion, while other bands use a "dryer" tone with more mids ie: Ola Englund, Keith Merrow, Jeff Loomis, etc... KSE is heavily influenced by bands like Skid Row, high distorted 90's Marshall, Recto tones, so I personally was looking for something that had the sizzling highs of a 5150, the denisty of a Recto, with the concussion and thud of a modded Marshall. In my opinion Rob TOTALLY nailed it with the Snakebite!

I would say your comparison is right on, but it has some of the best qualities of a Marshall as well. If you're playing high gain, this module will give you your voice.

Buy one and thank us later :p

Good Luck!

H

Thanks Big Daddy, that definitely answered my question. I'm sort of on the fence about whether to get this or a Trilogy and your answer may have swayed me towards the Snakebite. Concussion is exactly the word I have been searching for and I can't wait to send out an order for one of these bad boys after I get my Rverb.

Davis,

An RVerb AND a Snakebite?!?, you are by far one of best decision makers on the forum! LOL

GREAT pair... let us know how you like 'em :)

Keep the Faith!

H

Big Daddy said:
Davis,

An RVerb AND a Snakebite?!?, you are by far one of best decision makers on the forum! LOL

GREAT pair... let us know how you like 'em :)

Keep the Faith!

H
Thanks! I love my RVerb right now and will hopefully be trying a Venom out next week. I'm just south of Lansing btw, it's crazy how many mts guys are in Michigan.

I snagged a Platinum Venom in a trade not long ago, and I also concur with the descriptions above. I might also describe it as highly 'refined' with excellent clarity. It actually demanded of me that I plug in my Ibanez Universe (down one whole step to A) for the first time in over a year, at which point I quickly remembered why I owned a 7-string in the first place...seriously impressive tone and feel.

frodgemo said:
I snagged a Platinum Venom in a trade not long ago, and I also concur with the descriptions above. I might also describe it as highly 'refined' with excellent clarity. It actually demanded of me that I plug in my Ibanez Universe (down one whole step to A) for the first time in over a year, at which point I quickly remembered why I owned a 7-string in the first place...seriously impressive tone and feel.
A 7 string plus the Venom could definitely mean Unearth riffs for days.

davisj76 said:
frodgemo said:
A 7 string plus the Venom could definitely mean Unearth riffs for days.

For players of down tuned metal, this is a great mod?.It was just too angry for me in the end?It's great for death metal but didn't work so well for my Brady Bunch cover band?.

Ahhh...

I thought "It's a Sunshine Day" would sound great all down tuned and distorty!