TOM SCHOLTZ/ROCKMAN

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L82theParty

Reaction score
Is there anyway to capture the BOSTON sound in a mod? If so I would think it would be really cool, as the price of the old Rockman's are way up there. Any ideas?

As a long time rockman system user i would love some Boston sounding type of module(s)!! I have discussed this with JF Rob on several occasions and I am sure he could easily accomplish the task!!!

The "Boston sound" is a lot of processing and not really all that much to the credit of the preamp. You can get there with many existing modules, the magic is in the effects used. That's obviously beyond the scope of a mod.

The Boston distortion sound is a big bump at 500Hz and a little less at 1000Hz -basically a ton of midrange.

After that it's the analog chorus and delay with stereo separation that helps make that sound. The other secret is Scholz uses PA speakers not guitar cabs, specifically 3-way PA speakers - ie full range.

Or setup a Pignose and run it through a toilet paper tube mic'd on the other side....

Kidding but I have heard of all sorts of studio experimentation and layering techniques used that one single player through one mod could not reproduce that tone any better than what ned suggested methinks....

There are two things that I do for the Boston sound:

1. Use Marshall-type module with a pre-distortion graphic EQ, set to what Scholz used back in the early days. See: http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=44611&d=1373911193&thumb=1

This setting gets that "Long Time" guitar sound.

OR

2. Use a clean module with a sweepable mids pedal in front of it. Currently I'm using a Palmer Solid Metal pedal. But in the past I have also used a Boss Metal Zone with these settings:
mt2_zps596e18a9.jpg

The key with the metal pedal is to set the gain lower. And note the boosted mids, which are dialed in at about 800Hz or so. With the pedal set as I have it, it sounds very much like a Rockman Sustainor.

I'm a bigfan of Tom Sholz (as a person and as a musician,composer)...
and the Rockman devices are still around if ya look for them. A simple solution, if ya find one..or find the rack mounted versions..or the rare amps he made..I owned one and it was a head of its time. But it always had a particular processed sound that was NOT welcome in the 90s so I sold it.
As a fan of his, I think one could do his sound pretty easily with some work...but better yet...go further. I think he would approve.
GtrGeorge

PS: Compress, Compress and widen.

Seriously! Now I've heard it all.. Hey Rob, can you make my tubes sound like a solid state piece of gear from the 80's??? :p

I all seriousness, you are probably better off finding an old rockman rack unit or that little pocket unit that you see going for 100$. Then pump it through EQ and process the **** out of it with effects.

Kapo_Polenton said:
Hey Rob, can you make my tubes sound like a solid state piece of gear from the 80's??? :p

The answer is YES! Check out the JF Damageplan mod. It's more than just a Dime mod, but a really good Randall RG mod which covers a broad array of '80s guitarists.

P.S. I know this was tongue in cheek, but thought I'd offer some real advice in case anyone else was wondering the same thing.

All kidding aside, Tom and Boston sold a bazillion copies because people really liked the sound!!!
GtrGeorge

Or a Marshall-type module with a Rockman-type sound available via a switch might be good!

Alright, you guys got it: Officially announcing the Jaded Faith Mods "More Than a Feeling" module! Here's the details:

For $300, you get a unchanged stock module of my choice. The package includes a Boss DS-1 and CH-1 pedal. Now you're all set to rock out to your favorite Boston tunes!

:wink: