'Clean' channel for hi gain metal RM4 rig

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Totenkampf

Reaction score
i am sure this has come up at times but a search didnt reveal too many answers for this. looking for a good clean for neoclassical type stuff to go along with the blu juju, mamba SE, and trilogy modules but maybe something with more versatility than the JF Superclean? I am kinda leaning toward a JF Texas Special, but that might be just a homer pick!

If you don't want a superclean, my next suggestion would be the Vybe Deluxe, followed by the Texas Special. Not sure how hot your pickups are, that would play a part in my recommendation as well.

The Teas Special is a good pick IMHO - I recently got a dual one from Rob and it's ousted my Super Clean - a day I never thought would arrive - for all live work.

I've got a Vybe sitting in the house but I don't get home to try it till the 19th!

JayDA said:
Not sure how hot your pickups are, that would play a part in my recommendation as well.

I'm not doing any live work right now so every guitar has a different set of pups in it until I settle on my sound. Most are pretty hot though but range from EMG 81/85 set in a Jackson Rhoads, to SD Hot Rodded SH-2n/JB set in a Mockingbird, to Dimarzio Evo/Chopper set in a Charvel 6, to Bareknuckle sets in a couple Carvins and finally a Gravity Storm Set in a Ibanez Prestige RG. But yeah, hot.

neo-classical cleans? Are you going to be juicing the module at all, or is it straight clean?

Whenever I want something a little different, I look to Trace @ Voodoo amps. You can't go wrong with his mods. He'll do some great custom work if you drop him a line. His mods might not have the snazziest faceplates or options, but he nails great tones!

I'd say start with a stock Clean. I really like it. Is really clean, offers good bass, little breakup - just cool even compared to a lot of mods.

The Superclean is always worth a look. It isn't just a one sound clean, the different switches allow you to tune all sorts of different clean tones.

Bringing this one back up. I would like to add a true dedicated clean module. I have two hot humbucker equipped guitars and wouldn't be looking for break up out of this one.
JF Super Clean or Texas Special?

LunatiBSW said:
Love my super clean, Vybe deluxe is like the next level up.

What makes it the next level up? Would you suggest the Vybe Deluxe over the Super Clean? I know a lot of people seem to dig that Vybe Deluxe, but I was thinking it was a better clean for blues...not a, well super clean type thing.

nitrous12 said:
LunatiBSW said:
Love my super clean, Vybe deluxe is like the next level up.

What makes it the next level up? Would you suggest the Vybe Deluxe over the Super Clean? I know a lot of people seem to dig that Vybe Deluxe, but I was thinking it was a better clean for blues...not a, well super clean type thing.

What I meant was that it can go from clean to breakup.
It's clean is nice. It's a little saggy and more vintage.
The super clean is crisp and 3d for sure. Huge clean sound with neat options.
If all you want is clean, I'd go with superclean.
If you'd like to have some vintage sag breakup also, the Vybe can do both.
I can warrant having both, and I'm definitely a metal player. They offer different clean tones, but the Vybe is capable of a big fat clean without jacking up the volume on the mod.

I have all three of the afore mentioned mods and they are all used for different sounds. The SuperClean to me is kind of like the old Roland JC-120. Unlike the JC-120, the SuperClean can do a little grit if needed, but not a real singing lead grit. They Vybe is on the other end of the "clean" spectrum and can get pretty overdriven when needed. The Texas Special is kind of in between the two. The Texas Special is the most versatile for me. However, when I want that shimmering clean tone and put a chorus on it, I will go with the SuperClean every time. It is especially effective when using a strat style guitar and the between the bridge and middle pickup sound. ****! I need to run home and play on it as I will now have that tone in my head all day if I don't.

ricky said:
I have all three of the afore mentioned mods and they are all used for different sounds. The SuperClean to me is kind of like the old Roland JC-120. Unlike the JC-120, the SuperClean can do a little grit if needed, but not a real singing lead grit. They Vybe is on the other end of the "clean" spectrum and can get pretty overdriven when needed. The Texas Special is kind of in between the two. The Texas Special is the most versatile for me. However, when I want that shimmering clean tone and put a chorus on it, I will go with the SuperClean every time. It is especially effective when using a strat style guitar and the between the bridge and middle pickup sound. ****! I need to run home and play on it as I will now have that tone in my head all day if I don't.

Interesting break down. I think either the Super Clean or the Texas Special is the way to go. My main purpose for this is for use in my church band. My impression is that the Super Clean would probably be best for the right tones for that, but on the other hand...since I don't play cleans a ton and will rely on one module no matter what the situation is I may be better off with the versatility of the Texas Special.

Latest posts