R'Verb bottom end.

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corium_AZ

Reaction score
I recently grabbed an RVerb off of the forum. While I love the overall tonality of this mod, and it's striking similarity to the real thing, I am craving more bottom end. I've noticed, as gain is reduced, so too is bottom end/bass. I'm wondering if anyone could give me an idea how to beef up the lower end of this mod? I wouldn't want to lose the highs or mids, though its got those in abundance. Nor would I want to lose the sparkling harmonics & articulation.

So, I'm wondering if I can just replace a cap or two or a resistor, pot or whatever with one of a different value to help boost the low end? I'm running JJ 12ax7's, which seem to be the warmest bassiest pre tubes I've tried. I'm very comfortable soldering/modding a pcb, so that's not an issue, but I'm not familiar with preamp design.

Also, I noted that the two large caps in the back right corner of the module are much smaller than those on any of my other modules. Is this part of the design or an inadvertent holdover from the donor module?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

- Bruce J.

Maybe try an EQ pedal? I don't think I would try to modify it other than to send it to Rob to see what he can do.

I would think having Rob put a deep switch on there would do the trick. It comes stock on the Dumble mod and I leave it on all of the time as it beefs up the lows.

Well, as a follow up to this post - I sent my RVerb to Rob as he had recommended the addition of a three way tight switch as a remedy to my bottom end gripe. Well, I have to say, this more than did the trick. This bad boy has got some heft now! Engaging the 'bass boost' (two levels of 'boost' along with stock position) does not seem to have much if any affect on the tonal character of the module - all those great lush harmonics are still there, but she's got a lot bigger balls now! So, if you find yourself in the same boat, wishing for more bass out of your RVerb, hit Rob up for this tweak! He also refreshed my faceplate with a new one (mine was faded) and hooked me up with a plethora of stock Randall module knobs! Rob is great to do biz with for sure!

BTW - With the gain set at noon or above, and with the bass boosted max, this RVerb sounds almost identical to my SL-OD100, except it's got a bit more note articulation. So, this significantly furthers the versatility of this mod.

BTW2 - I just so happened to have the opportunity to demo an Orange Rockerverb 50 on Tuesday, and can confirm that this mod nails that tone for sure - need that bass boost to do so though, IMO...

Corium_AZ said:
Well, as a follow up to this post - I sent my RVerb to Rob as he had recommended the addition of a three way tight switch as a remedy to my bottom end gripe. Well, I have to say, this more than did the trick. This bad boy has got some heft now! Engaging the 'bass boost' (two levels of 'boost' along with stock position) does not seem to have much if any affect on the tonal character of the module - all those great lush harmonics are still there, but she's got a lot bigger balls now! So, if you find yourself in the same boat, wishing for more bass out of your RVerb, hit Rob up for this tweak! He also refreshed my faceplate with a new one (mine was faded) and hooked me up with a plethora of stock Randall module knobs! Rob is great to do biz with for sure!

BTW - With the gain set at noon or above, and with the bass boosted max, this RVerb sounds almost identical to my SL-OD100, except it's got a bit more note articulation. So, this significantly furthers the versatility of this mod.

BTW2 - I just so happened to have the opportunity to demo an Orange Rockerverb 50 on Tuesday, and can confirm that this mod nails that tone for sure - need that bass boost to do so though, IMO...

Cool man, I have been anxiously awaiting your feedback on this. Wish I had known this before to have it built in when it was originally done. If I keep mine around I may send it for the retrofit as it sounds like a useful addition. Mid sweep might be cool too :)

I am surprised on the comparison to the SL-OD100 though. I haven't run them side by side yet, but it seems to me they have pretty different voices and the SL-OD100 has a much more aggressive edge to it.
I don't get to jam with people too often these days, but when I did a little while back I can say that the SL-OD100 at live volume had the widest and fullest tone of the few mods I used that day. Sat in the mix very well too. Jamming with some guys next week and I am anxious to see what some other mods can do in the mix.

I am surprised on the comparison to the SL-OD100 though. I haven't run them side by side yet, but it seems to me they have pretty different voices and the SL-OD100 has a much more aggressive edge to it.
I don't get to jam with people too often these days, but when I did a little while back I can say that the SL-OD100 at live volume had the widest and fullest tone of the few mods I used that day. Sat in the mix very well too. Jamming with some guys next week and I am anxious to see what some other mods can do in the mix.

Yes, they sound almost identical with the bass boosted on the RVerb, bass pot dimed, with gain boost on, and gain between noon and 3 o'clock, mid scoop off. Mid and Trebel EQ's are at significantly different settings btwn the R'Verb and SLO to get them to this point. But, I am starting to think I may kick the SLO out of my rig (never thought I'd see the day, lol), simply because I can get this R'Verb to sound nearly identical. After much experimentation, I've found my preferred settings with the RVerb, and I get three useful tones out of it, without touching the module. Low gain/clean+hair by reducing the channel volume (signal) on one of my presets on my Vox Tonelab (acts like rolling down the volume on my guitar pickup, without touching a thing), mid gain by kicking the channel volume/output up to actual (again switchable on my tonelab), and high-gain/SLO territory via internal Tonelab OD pedal to push it into higher gain/compression. So, this is turning out to be a very useful mod to me! Now, if I could find two more super versatile mods, I'll be a happy camper!

I'll report back once I compare these at full volume, in a band situation, as we have practice on Sunday night. It may not sit in the mix as well as the SLO... Maybe it'll be better?