GSP1101 & M4 - (midiot content inside)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamner1

Reaction score
:x
So I am having an issue getting the M4 to change channels. As far as I know both units are set to omni.

Help please... :?

Thank you Rob. I will report back to let you know how it goes. Maybe I can get this resolved so I can get back to tweaking mods. :D

Well I still suck at midi... or rather just not getting this to work.
So 1st queston: Does the midi cable need to be a 7 pin cable?
  • I am assuming no. I am using the same cable as I was using with the RM4.
2nd question: Maybe this phantom power pin might be my culprit. I have not messed with it, so however it was set from Egnater is what it is set at.
  • From the manual - PHANTOM POWER:
    9VAC@1amp power is supplied through the 7 pin FOOTSWITCH IN
    jack. The power is internally assignable to pins 4 & 5 and always active
    on pins 6 & 7. Please refer to your midi pedal manual for proper settings.
    Use the pushbutton switch located next to the midi in connector to
    activate. The lid must be removed to access the switch.

So some background on th connections & settings:
  • Control2 is connected to GSP1101 via the Ethernet cable supplied.
    Midi Out/Thru of GSP is connected to Midi In of M4 (I am fairly certain it is a 5 pin cable)
    GSP1101 set to Channel 1
    M4 is also set to Channel 1 (all switches up/off)
    *** I have also tried setting S5 on (for OMNI), S6 on (Program Change Enable), & S7 on (Controller Enable Function).

No luck getting the C2/GSP1101 to change the M4 "channels"/modules. Yes I have shut down the M4 before each change, made the dip switch changes, then turned it back on. Some other things to note. The LEDs do not flash or go out briefly while trying to set the "channel"/module. So either it is not setup to do this or I need to hold in the button on the M4 longer than 2 or 3 seconds. All I am trying to do is set a certain patch on the GSP to select a certain module, nothing any fancier than that.

Unless I am missing something, either it is an M4 issue, or the midi cable.
Any thoughts ladies & gents?... Bruce?

Midi thru should work just like that: anything coming in simply goes straight through that socket

have you tried switching the (midi)chain?
M4 first, GSP1101 next

I have not. Unfortunately the C2 pedal doesn't have a midi cable socket connection, just the ethernet to connect it to the GSP. Maybe I will have to get a cheap midixchange or midimouse to test that, if I can't get this resolved. RM4 I didn't have any issues, plugged in & it worked.

Hamner1 said:
I have not. Unfortunately the C2 pedal doesn't have a midi cable socket connection, just the ethernet to connect it to the GSP.

Oh, kay, thought it was a standard issue 1-size-fits-all midi board

Don't think I'm trying to be a smartass since i never owned the 1101
but most of these boxes work the same way

for starters try to find something in the manual like "midi mapping"

ah, page 50 of the PDF
Send MIDI Prgms
By setting the Send MIDI Prgms option to ON, MIDI program change messages will be sent out the GSP1101?s MIDI Thru jack when presets are changed
on the GSP1101 either by the front panel Edit/Select knob, by selecting them in the editor librarian, or when the GSP1101 receives a program change message via MIDI.
These MIDI program change messages do not get sent out of the GSP1101 when Send MIDI Prgms is set to OFF. This option is set to OFF from the factory

Seems Pgrm change OUT works on the same Midi channel as the GSP's input channel
(iow: no possibility to choose a different out channel like on my MPXg2)
which would make it easier to find the M4 channel

also don't forget this part:
Merge In > Thru
By setting the Merge In>Thru option to ON, incoming MIDI CC and program change messages are routed out of the GSP1101?s MIDI Thru jack to other connected MIDI devices.
These messages do not pass through the GSP1101 when the Merge In>Thru is set to OFF.
This option is set to ON from the factory.

To configure the MERGE IN > THRU option
1. From the Preset screen, press the Edit/Select knob.
2. Turn the Edit/Select knob until the MIDI menu is selected and press the knob.
3. Turn the Edit/Select knob until Merge In->Thru is selected.
4. Press the Edit/Select knob to turn the option on or off.
5. Press the Back button to return to the previous menu

So unless that C2 pedal doesn't work with MIDI (hard to believe)
you can simply use the thru-socket to your M4 as long as you set the parameters correct in your GSP

-ADDED:
Don't know if the M4 uses the same 'channel save' protocol as the M4
but if it is
if you don't choose channel footswitch + hold channel button on M4
there's a good chance you have only the same module set to every program channel
ergo, you won't see the M4 change channels

Now if only I could make my MPXg2 echo MIDI commands to my RT2/50 :D

There used to be a video on youtube of how to do this with an RM4 and a GSP1101 but I can't find it as it says that it is unavailable.
i don't have my rig in front of me but once you get it hooked up you go to the sound you want on the gsp and then use the channel button on the RM4 tomove to the module you want, say channel I is an XTC. Then hold the channel button in for a few seconds and that should do it. then find your next GSP patch and then use the button on the RM4 to move to the 2nd module, hold it and voila. Every switch on my C2 also switches to the module I want. It did not take any programming at all really. The only thing that confused me was the midi in/midi through hook up which was not the one I thought would work. Hope that helps.
rick

Just wanted to vent... unfortunately shortly after my last post our basement flooded. Rig is fine, as the water didn't get deeper than an inch, and the rig was on top of a 4x12 which has casters. Unfortunately the rig, as well as 90% of my basement is in the garage & upstairs in the office. So nothing connected to actually play. After the basement flood prevention work is started & done (3rd week of Feb :( ) then comes rebuilding basement, so I anticipate mid March or so to get the rig back up & running.

To top it off I still didn't get the midi working. :lol: